Need Help Cornerbrook and Sydney 10/7 & 8

There have been some great threads on both these ports about renting a car and seeing the sights. I went to the Enterprise sight and we will be in Cornerbrook on 10/7 with NCL Gem... their office is closed on that day. We will be in Sydney 10/8 and their office is closed that day. Any suggestions? Any other car rental places?

Thank you for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
Both Cornerbrook and Sydney are more about what is out in the countryside than the town.

I am quite sure there will be enterprising taxis, tour companies at the docks.

I don't know about Corner Brook, but I was told by one taxi company in Sydney that they would have at least 15 taxis at the port for tours. If I was depending on getting a taxi that way, I would be one of the first off the ship to ensure I got one.

I don't know about Corner Brook, but I was told by one taxi company in Sydney that they would have at least 15 taxis at the port for tours. If I was depending on getting a taxi that way, I would be one of the first off the ship to ensure I got one.

Hi: We just returned from our cruise. We used donblackwood@seascape.ns.ca for a 6 hr tour with a total 6 pax. We visited the Cabot Trail. The tour was very enjoyable even with rain for half the day.

In Corner Brook, take a excursion as there is nothing to do in the town. They have a free shuttle bus which takes about 30-45min to complete the run. Many pax walked the trail and enjoyed it. Others took ship shore excursions which were at least interesting

Enjoy your cruise

Dave

There have been some great threads on both these ports about renting a car and seeing the sights. I went to the Enterprise sight and we will be in Cornerbrook on 10/7 with NCL Gem... their office is closed on that day. We will be in Sydney 10/8 and their office is closed that day. Any suggestions? Any other car rental places?

Thank you for any help.

Corner Brook is a bit of a sleepy town and their airport is actually in Deer Lake, about 20 minutes away. You could try there and see if they will deliver to the port or if the airport shuttle will take you up to Deer Lake. However you do it, please don't miss Gros Morne. I'm from Newfoundland and have also been to all of your ports and I think you will find this the most scenic of your whole cruise. If you can get to Western Brook Pond any way you can, take it.

Molly

Hi: We just returned from our cruise. We used donblackwood@seascape.ns.ca for a 6 hr tour with a total 6 pax. We visited the Cabot Trail. The tour was very enjoyable even with rain for half the day.

In Corner Brook, take a excursion as there is nothing to do in the town. They have a free shuttle bus which takes about 30-45min to complete the run. Many pax walked the trail and enjoyed it. Others took ship shore excursions which were at least interesting

Enjoy your cruise

Dave

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, Dave. We are doing a 14 day B2B from Boston to Quebec City on the NCL Dawn next fall and I am just beginning to plan. Do you have any other suggestions for must sees, and how to do them, particular operators, etc.? We stop at Portland (7-3), Halifax (9-6), Charlottetown (8-5), Gaspesie (8-4), La Baie (11-7), Quebec City (8-8)Corner Brook (8-6), Sydney (8-5), Halifax (again - 8-5), Saint John (10-7) and Bar Harbor (8-5).

Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, Dave. We are doing a 14 day B2B from Boston to Quebec City on the NCL Dawn next fall and I am just beginning to plan. Do you have any other suggestions for must sees, and how to do them, particular operators, etc.? We stop at Portland (7-3), Halifax (9-6), Charlottetown (8-5), Gaspesie (8-4), La Baie (11-7), Quebec City (8-8)Corner Brook (8-6), Sydney (8-5), Halifax (again - 8-5), Saint John (10-7) and Bar Harbor (8-5).

Thanks.

We are doing this 14 day cruise on the Dawn starting Oct. 5 this year. I have all the ports set. If you would like to see my notes, my e-mail is gthiel at tampabay dot rr dot com

Also, we have been to most of these ports several times, if you have any questions, just ask.

Corner Brook is a bit of a sleepy town and their airport is actually in Deer Lake, about 20 minutes away. You could try there and see if they will deliver to the port or if the airport shuttle will take you up to Deer Lake. However you do it, please don't miss Gros Morne. I'm from Newfoundland and have also been to all of your ports and I think you will find this the most scenic of your whole cruise. If you can get to Western Brook Pond any way you can, take it.

Molly

Agree you must go to Gros Morne. I would put it in the top five for natural beauty in North America.

Thanks.

Hi Bob: We were washed out in Halifax! I would setup a private tour or rent a car for the day. We were going to visit Peggy's Cove, Acadia Maple factory and have a lobster lunch at Ryers. Others went to Luenburg with a private tour. Quebec City we did a city tour to get familiarized with the city and a carriage ride in the upper town. You will only be there for a short time so the city tour would be appropriate. Corner Brook is a small town where you need to take a tour. Sydney arrange a private tour and include the Alexander Graham Bell museum. Hopefully the weather will be good. We had the remenants of a hurricane to conted with.

Dave

We are on the Norwegian Gem departing September 30, 2012 from New York. We were looking for a non-ship excursion for Sydney and came across Tartan Tours. He is willing to do

a tour of Baddeck which he says is one of the most scenic tours he has next to the Cabot Trail for sheer beauty. Its located on the shores of the Bras D'or lakes and is a charming Victorian village and home to Alexander Graham Bell and his museum. Baddeck is located approx 1 hour from Sydney so he is offering 2 hours in Baddeck to explore the museum and the village at your own pace. he states he will have stops on the way up and back for breathtaking photos as well as photos in the village. We can split the time which ever we see fit. He quoted us a price of $200 plus tax for just the two of us however if we can get 2 or 4 more people, the cost decreases. The price for 4 people would be $ 300.00 plus tax . The price for 6 would be $400.00 plus tax. I am very new to using these message board thus am not sure how best to get this information out to others on this cruise looking for something to do.

We are on the Norwegian Gem departing September 30, 2012 from New York. We were looking for a non-ship excursion for Sydney and came across Tartan Tours. He is willing to do

a tour of Baddeck which he says is one of the most scenic tours he has next to the Cabot Trail for sheer beauty. Its located on the shores of the Bras D'or lakes and is a charming Victorian village and home to Alexander Graham Bell and his museum. Baddeck is located approx 1 hour from Sydney so he is offering 2 hours in Baddeck to explore the museum and the village at your own pace. he states he will have stops on the way up and back for breathtaking photos as well as photos in the village. We can split the time which ever we see fit. He quoted us a price of $200 plus tax for just the two of us however if we can get 2 or 4 more people, the cost decreases. The price for 4 people would be $ 300.00 plus tax . The price for 6 would be $400.00 plus tax. I am very new to using these message board thus am not sure how best to get this information out to others on this cruise looking for something to do.

Your price for 6 pax is the same as we paid for a 6.5hr tour of Cabot Trail. You will enjoy this tour more than you would with a ship exscursion. As he said he can retailer the tour to fit your needs. We had rain in the am but a perfect afternoon and enough time to include the Graham Bell site.

Enjoy your cruise. It is a wonderful itinerary

Dave

We are on the Oct 10 Gem cruise after yours.....Ncl shore excursions in Sydney & Cornerbrook are cheaper than private operators.

This is unusual,it's normally the other way round....we always do private tours,but this time we have booked Baddeck & Bell museum $59 thru ship.

Cornerbrook we are doing Captain cook trail $69 thru ship.....you might want too do a search on Cruise Critic about Tartan tours....they seem too have some negative reviews.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you for any help.

We are on the same cruise. We booked car with Budget 224 Welton Street 902-564-2610. They will pick up from pier, even on Thanksgiving. Their office will be open 8-12 noon. They will give us info on cabs to get back to the pier.

Any chance you're looking for another couple to share the rental car costs? If so, where do you plan on going while in the Sydney area?

We aren't sure what we are doing in Sydney - life here has been crazy busy and we haven't decided what we are doing. What were you wanting to do? We might be interested in sharing the rental cost.

Enjoy your cruise

Dave

can you please tell me what kind of vechile you had with don blackwood was it a mini van and was it comfortable?

Archived