Barrett Adventures or A-Z Planners? MoBay

RideHD

Checking prices btwn A-Z Planners and Barrett Adventures for a YS Falls/River Tubing tour.

A-Z shows $48 (adults) and $43 (kids)

Barrett shows $80 per person

Only difference I see is that lunch is included with Barrett. Seems odd to have that big of a price difference. Anyone have any feedback that suggests the extra $32/person is worth it?

:confused:

I can not compare the two as I have not toured with A-Z. I can tell you about Barrett Adventures though. Keyword, Adventures...

For the price you not only go to the Falls and tubing, but you also receive a very comprehensive tour of that section of Jamaica. It is a full day tour and Carolyn is a WEALTH of info on her Island and the Caribbean. This is not a hokie tour of "yeah mon" and who can out sing whom, but a tour that takes one into some of the outback and not usually seen places. We came away with a 180 degree turn around view of the people and culture. Going back in October and hopefully the Star will again put into MB as Carolyn is going to take us to the Black River and Pelican Bar. Unable to fit all this in this trip. BTW, we had a very nice lunch at YS Falls of jerk chicken and fiesta (sp?) bread. Hopefully we will have fresh fish at the Pelican Bar in October!

Missybud - I am so jealous that you get to go back so soon and spend more time with Carolyn!

We did YS fall and Pelican Bar with her in March. It was wonderful! I too enjoyed the jerk chicken and fiesta bread at YS Falls.

At Pelican Bar, there were some others enjoying the fresh fish. Floyd cooked it right there on a little hibachi grill. Looked very good!

Hope your wish of stopping in Mo Bay instead of Ocho Rios is granted!

Ridehd,

we would also recommend Barrett adventures! we have used Carolyn's services twice and it was great both times! like the above poster, I can not compare the two, but can recommend Barrett adventures. If you do decide to book with her, pleast tell her bill and amy from Texas said hello!

Just a thought, when you tour with Carolyn all the entrance fees are included. The tubing is a separate price from YS Falls which could also be a price differential. We did not tube as the water levels were low due to a drought.

dlb, thanks for the info re: Pelican Bar. Missy

This is the website for Carolyn and Errol Barrett, http://www.barrettadventures.com. We also booked with them on our stop in Montego Bay last year, and it was the highlight of our cruise. You will be shown the true beauty of Jamaica that is obscured by the negative reports, based on activities in the crowded port areas and more popular tourist sites. We went on a Black River boat ride, lunch at the Culloden Cafe, and a visit to the Hummingbird Sanctuary. Our perception of Jamaica and the people was totally changed by this tour. To the OP, this was the only guide we have used, so I can't compare the two, and I can't explain the price difference, but I can tell you that it was a very enjoyable day.

Pav

• 2 weeks later...

We have not used A-Z but we just used Barrett Adventures May 1, 2005 and she was FABULOUS! So nice, very knowledgeable, flexable, and friendly. You definately can't go wrong with her. We found her to be very honest and considerate of finances! Tell her the Welches from Texas say hello!!

• 2 months later...
Checking prices btwn A-Z Planners and Barrett Adventures for a YS Falls/River Tubing tour.

A-Z shows $48 (adults) and $43 (kids)

Barrett shows $80 per person

Only difference I see is that lunch is included with Barrett. Seems odd to have that big of a price difference. Anyone have any feedback that suggests the extra $32/person is worth it?

:confused:

Carolyns price includes the cost of admission to the falls.:) Becareful....I have read that A-Z Planners doesn't include the cost of admission into any of thier tours. :confused:

In December we were in Jamaica and had a tour with Carolyn. It was the highlight of our trip. She picked us up from the dock and was with us all day. We did a tour of Mayfield falls which was fantastic, then she took us around the island told us history and even a few stories from when she worked at Rose Hall. Rose Hall was recently on the travel channel as one of the 10 most haunted places--she gave us goosebumps. We asked about Margaritaville, so she took us there. She dropped us off in front, parked the van and came in and found us. When we were ready to leave she helped us shopping letting us know when we were paying too much for things. Carolyn's tour was wonderful, she is a wealth of information and next time we are in Jamaica, we'll book with her.

Colyn

• 5 weeks later...

Colyn,

I've contacted Carolyn about her tours & haven't booked yet. We're in port one day on a Princess cruise this December. She mentioned a great falls that we would need to hike to - is Mayfield Falls like this? We also need to be back @ the dock so the boat can leave @ 3:30pm.... is there enough time to do everything that you mentioned in your post????

I'll be interested in any tips - I'll look up A-Z planners too.

kath

I have used Belinda with A-Z several times and will be using them again when we go to the Sandals Whitehouse resort in November. All entrance fees are included. It seems to me that Barrett is charging alot for lunch. We had Oscar as our guide who we really liked, but I have heard that Micky is good too. It sounds like they are both good Companies. I know that if you go to A-Z, you will not go wrong.

• 2 months later...
Missybud - I am so jealous that you get to go back so soon and spend more time with Carolyn!

We did YS fall and Pelican Bar with her in March. It was wonderful! I too enjoyed the jerk chicken and fiesta bread at YS Falls.

At Pelican Bar, there were some others enjoying the fresh fish. Floyd cooked it right there on a little hibachi grill. Looked very good!

Hope your wish of stopping in Mo Bay instead of Ocho Rios is granted!

I'm doing this in 2 weeks, how long do you stay at each place?

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from our cruise on the Conquest and can honestly say, out of all the cruise excursions we have taken, our day with Chester (Barrett Adventures) was one of the best! We did the "South Coast Adventure" which was a tour of the Appleton Rum Factory and a wonderful lunch at the Pelican Bar. On the way to the Rum Factory Chester stopped at a pineapple farm where we tasted fresh pineapple and met the farmers - that was a very nice little extra added to our day.

We just returned from the Coral Princess with a stop at Montego Bay. We booked a tour with Barretts Adventures and can say that it was the highlight of our cruise.

Having visited Jamaica by cruise ships several times in the past, we were never excited about this stop. The tour we took with Barretts Adventures completely changed our thinking.

We went Whitewater rafting, to the West Indies Art Museum and shop and the Hummingbird Sanctuary. We also stopped for lunch at a jerk restauraunt and did some shopping.

While the rafting was terrific and safe, I was mezmerized by the Hummingbirds. I bought a beautiful oil painting on canvas-(not on the stretcher for easy travel) at a great price at the museum.

I can't recommend Carolyn's enough. Our driver Chester, was a beautiful gentle person and we enjoyed his company immensely.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend the few extra dollars to make this stop as memorable as we had.

Go with Barretts

• 4 months later...

I just booked yesterday with Carolyn. We are going to do the YS Falls / tubing tour. She has been very nice and responsive in her emails, which she's answers within a day. She's been very patient with all of my questions.

3 months from tomorrow!!!!!!! :D

We are booked to do the White Water Rafting in June and i can't wait. Belinda sent us some pictures of the ride, looks awsome. Ask Belinda for details and pictures if you need them, it's only $80 which is way cheaper than most places and we know that woith A-Z we will have a great day. Contact Belinda on belinda@a-zjamaicaplanners.com and she will answer you quickly and will help you plan your perfect day, she has never let us down.

Archived