SNA(orange county) or LAX?

sherbear850

We are already planning our Hawaii cruise that leaves Long Beach CA Next April. We have to fly from DTW (Detroit) What airport should we choose LAX or SNA?? Would one be easier to get around or be closer to Long Beach. I'm Thinking we will stay at the Residence Inn near the port.:confused:

Thanks

We are already planning our Hawaii cruise that leaves Long Beach CA Next April. We have to fly from DTW (Detroit) What airport should we choose LAX or SNA?? Would one be easier to get around or be closer to Long Beach. I'm Thinking we will stay at the Residence Inn near the port.:confused:

Thanks

There are trade-offs...

LAX is closer...less than 23 miles away...

SNA is a little over 32 miles away...

Shuttles are a little easier to find at LAX and will cost approximately $34 for two people in a shared shuttle one way...From SNA, it's $46 for two...(both priced on Super Shuttle to the Residence Inn)...

LAX is a monster of an airport--one of the busiest in the world...so, it is intimidating to many...Just about every airline in the world uses it as its main hub for flights between North America and all points in Asia and the Pacific...You often hear about long lines for security or for check-in, though I've found it "hit-and-miss"--I'm often through from curb to gate in 15 minutes...but it depends on which airline and what time of day, I guess...

SNA is a smaller (really a "medium-sized" airport), so it is a lot less intimidating...but, with security these days, you never know what to expect at any airport...

As to navigating around the airport, LAX CAN be difficult--but, mostly if you are making a connection there, not just flying in or flying out...For that it is simple...you get dropped off at the proper terminal, walk straight in, through check-in, security and straight to your gate...arriving, you walk out of the gate, straight to baggage claim, then out the door to the curb to pick up a cab or shuttle...

The plus for LAX is the flight selection...There are flights arriving and departing almost constantly to anywhere in the world you might want to go...At the smaller airports, flight times and schedules are much more limited.

The third alternative is LGB...which is even smaller than SNA...It's approximately 12 miles from the pier by Freeway... Super Shuttle won't even quote a shared shuttle price from there--because so few people fly in and out that they can't guarantee filling up the van...They will do an Execucar Express from there for $47 each way...Of course, the issue there is very limited flights...

Good luck...

I was just about to post this same question..:p

Any Idea what a taxi would run from both airports

LAX and SNA?

According to THIS site:

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Long-Beach-CA

Approximately $78 from LAX

$100 from SNA

...with tip

I would NEVER take a taxi for either of those trips...

If you want to avoid a shared shuttle, book Execucar Express Service through Super Shuttle...You'll get a FLAT rate of something under $50 plus tip from either airport for your own car and driver...The express service does not have "meet and greet" at the airport...You'll have to call a number when you arrive and meet them at the curb...

With taxis, another problem is that you sit there in traffic and the meter keeps running...And you can't trust the taxi driver to take you the shortest or quickest route either...

Adding a side note here - Keep in mind, that is the weekend for the Long Beach Grand Prix, which is one of the busiest weekends of the year in Long Beach. I don't show any hotels open at all, except the Hyatt. :(

Adding a side note here - Keep in mind, that is the weekend for the Long Beach Grand Prix, which is one of the busiest weekends of the year in Long Beach. I don't show any hotels open at all, except the Hyatt. :(

Oh, that is RIGHT...

April 11-13, 2014--The Long Beach Grand Prix...

Finding a hotel in Long Beach that weekend will be EXPENSIVE, assuming you can find one at all...They tend to get booked up a long time in advance.

Either make reservations as soon as you can (maybe a cancelable rate, just in case something better opens up later)...

And start considering OTHER choices...

If you're flying into LAX, and it's just for one night, you may want to consider staying near the airport (including Culver City and El Segundo)...The area immediately at the airport (along Century Blvd, WEST of the 405) is not great, nothing in the way of decent restaurants and nothing to do...but, if it's just one night, you may be able to live with it...At least you can get a free shuttle from the airport and spring for just the one shuttle ride to the pier in the morning...Culver City (in the area around the Fox Hills Mall--Doubletree or Four Points or Courtyard--just north of LAX) and El Segundo (just south of LAX) give you a little in terms of restaurants and more pleasant surroundings...

Or Torrance near the Del Amo mall (sort of halfway between LAX and the harbor)...but two shuttle rides...

Or, if you are using SNA, perhaps staying in the area around SNA and getting the one big shuttle ride in the morning...

You'll likely find hotels easier to find oin those areas on that date! Of course, it changes the plan a bit...

Good luck...

According to THIS site:

$100 from SNA

...with tip

If you want to avoid a shared shuttle, book Execucar Express Service through Super Shuttle...You'll get a FLAT rate of something under $50 plus tip from either airport for your own car and driver...The express service does not have "meet and greet" at the airport...You'll have to call a number when you arrive and meet them at the curb...

With taxis, another problem is that you sit there in traffic and the meter keeps running...And you can't trust the taxi driver to take you the shortest or quickest route either...

Great information..

Thank you ;)

According to THIS site:

$100 from SNA

...with tip

I just looked up Execucar and it was 56.00 Total : )

Thanks again

Thanks for all your help. I've spent the better part of the day making flight arrangements, it was a little cheaper to fly United from DTW to SNA so we went ahead and booked. We had already managed to get a room at the Residence Inn for a couple of nights before we leave on the cruise. And you are right about not being able to get any rooms ... we had to call Marriot direct and they got us in through the back door. Appreciate all your help:).

Glad you found a flight. Although Bruin is right about the relative distances and drive times, if there's no traffic it takes 10 minutes longer from SNA to Long Beach. It takes much more than the 10 minutes to get from plane to curbside at LAX and that ignores the longer wait for shuttles at LAX. So, plane to hotel is usually 20-30 minutes quicker from SNA.

If it's rush hour, that usually throws the balance back in favor of LAX.

Good that you found a hotel. The ones at SNA are inexpensive on weekends because they cater to business travelers. Also the genre and price range is a lot better at SNA, and there are many excellent restaurants and malls a short distance away. LAX hotels are clean places to stay and not much more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived