The IRS wants their money so my cruise is cancelled

Singer4Him

Well, the verdict is in and the IRS will be getting all of our cruise money plus an even bigger chunk of change! I'm BEYOND disappointed right now!! I know we'll eventually get to cruise again but I have been looking forward to this for almost a year. The Breeze has been on my bucket list for several years and when I heard she was coming to Galveston, I was tickled pink!

If anyone else has had to cancel like this, I have a question: We had purchased FTTF. Will this automatically be refunded to my credit card once the cancellation in completed or will I need to do something to get the refund?

Well, the verdict is in and the IRS will be getting all of our cruise money plus an even bigger chunk of change! I'm BEYOND disappointed right now!! I know we'll eventually get to cruise again but I have been looking forward to this for almost a year. The Breeze has been on my bucket list for several years and when I heard she was coming to Galveston, I was tickled pink!

If anyone else has had to cancel like this, I have a question: We had purchased FTTF. Will this automatically be refunded to my credit card once the cancellation in completed or will I need to do something to get the refund?

I can't answer your FTTF question, but I'm so sorry you had to cancel.

I just noticed the date of your upcoming cruise. Are you in the penalty phase yet?

Edited by Sparky2

I just noticed the date of your upcoming cruise. Are you in the penalty phase yet?

All we had paid was our $99 deposit. Final payment was due yesterday but we were granted an extension until noon eastern time today. We heard from our CPA late yesterday afternoon informing us of the total amount owed to the IRS. :(

I'm thankful that I had booked during the $99 per cabin promo last year.

You can cancel the FTTF excursion and the money will be returned to the payment source it was paid from - credit card, etc

Sounds like your CPA should have done a better job informing you throughout last year so you could have made adequate payments as to not find yourself in this position.

Sorry about your cruise cancellation.

Edited by lizardhowson

We had to cancel our New Years cruise on the Conquest in December due to my MIL illness & passing.

I just cancelled the cruise itself via phone and FTTF, Bon Voyage purchases, & shore excursions were automatically refunded just as the Customer Service rep via phone said they would be.

So sorry greedy Uncle Sam wants so much from you!! Ugh.....

DH is a CPA & agrees with the previous poster about your CPA not keeping you better informed about your tax status....unless there was something they were unaware of until tax prep time.

Hoping you can plan & sail soon!

Sounds like your CPA should have done a better job informing you throughout last year so you could have made adequate payments as to not find yourself in this position.

DH is a CPA & agrees with the previous poster about your CPA not keeping you better informed about your tax status....unless there was something they were unaware of until tax prep time.

Thank you both! We are using a new CPA this year since our former one is not in good health. We've lost two children from our tax credit (one was married and the other graduated college and is living on her own) so that hurt us pretty significantly and apparently we didn't pay enough in our estimates. It stinks, that's for sure.

Thank you both! We are using a new CPA this year since our former one is not in good health. We've lost two children from our tax credit (one was married and the other graduated college and is living on her own) so that hurt us pretty significantly and apparently we didn't pay enough in our estimates. It stinks, that's for sure.

Bummer!

We too lost our final tax deduction for children this year and we goofed up moving some money around in a mutual fund, so I have to pay the IRS a healthy (unexpected) sum too. Ugh!

Fortunately, we are still going to cruise this year. I'll just have to take a little longer to pay it.

Hope your situation works out!

We had to cancel our New Years cruise on the Conquest in December due to my MIL illness & passing.

I just cancelled the cruise itself via phone and FTTF, Bon Voyage purchases, & shore excursions were automatically refunded just as the Customer Service rep via phone said they would be.

So sorry greedy Uncle Sam wants so much from you!! Ugh.....

Hoping you can plan & sail soon!

I second this. Anything you had already purchased, such as excursions, Fun Shop purchases, and FTTF will be refunded to the original form of payment.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Ugh, that stinks!! I totally feel your pain. My husband and I owed this year too, and we have never owed before. But this is only our second year married and we don't have any children - we filed married and 1 and STILL owed!!! :mad:

Could you maybe book a cruise during November or December? Not sure what kind of room you had but we are going for an interior just because it's the cheapest, and we are going in one of those months - granted it's not the same ship as yours but maybe you can find something with that ship during those months! :/

Sorry you have to cancel your cruise. :mad:

I'm glad the government doesn't know and aren't smart enough to know what I hide from them. They think they receive half of my income but they're easy to fool. :)

Owing taxes means you must have a higher than anticipated income, came into some unexpected money (lotto), or the like. Congratulations on that...and I am not being sarcastic or a smarty pants! Suggest better tax planning in the future though!