Freedom ship phone for emergencies?

Sainter4

My family has asked if there is a number that they can contact us on the ship in case of an emergency at home. Anyone have that? I have looked in our paperwork and also tried to find on the RC website - maybe I am searching with wrong terminology.

I would think that this might also be good to have with us on excursions.....

Thanks!

My family has asked if there is a number that they can contact us on the ship in case of an emergency at home. Anyone have that? I have looked in our paperwork and also tried to find on the RC website - maybe I am searching with wrong terminology.

I would think that this might also be good to have with us on excursions.....

Thanks!

Dear Sainter,

If you have a US based cell phone plan, it will be cheaper for you to put it in NON roaming mode and receive TEXTS/SMS from your relatives.

Depending on your carrier, the INCOMING texts are either free or cost less than $1. On top of it, they are immediate.

Also check with your phone carrier. Many of them offer cheap calling plans that work on Cruise Ships. Sometimes less than $1/minute as opposed to the $7.95/minute that Ship to Shore costs

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Dear Panjabi,

Thank you for this information!

Lisa

Just be aware that if you have your cell phone on, and you receive voice calls, you may be charged even if you don't answer or the calls go to voice mail. Minimum charge is $2.49 per call.

So if you want texts, but do not want to receive calls, set your phone to send all calls to voice mail immemdiately. You can contact your carrier if you don't know how to do this.

Thank you Bob! We will have the internet service as well so our family can email us. We just don't want to feel like we need to check it frequently "just in case".

I appreciate you're taking the time to help.

If you have the internet service, then also look into enabling WiFi calling on your phone. This way you can send/receive calls and texts for no extra charge. Contact your carrier for info.

Just be aware that if you have your cell phone on, and you receive voice calls, you may be charged even if you don't answer or the calls go to voice mail. Minimum charge is $2.49 per call.

So if you want texts, but do not want to receive calls, set your phone to send all calls to voice mail immemdiately. You can contact your carrier if you don't know how to do this.

Dear Bob,

Good Morning. It is VERY rare for a US based plan to have a charge for an unanswered call, if it goes to Voicemail. The charge instead happens when you CHECK voicemail. We have had T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T on cruise ships over the years and never been charged for a missed call that went to voicemail.

Having said that, what you have said is good advice, in case there is still a US operator (or Billing Plan) that charges for this. Thank you for bringing this up!

So, Sainter (the OP), as per Bob's suggestion, do call your US Based Mobile Carrier and ensure that there is no charge if someone leaves a voicemail as long as you do not check it. If, for some reason, your carrier or your plan DO charge it, then you can have them disable voicemail for the duration of your cruise

Warm Regards and Happy Sailings to all yall,

Panjabi

Dear Bob,

Good Morning. It is VERY rare for a US based plan to have a charge for an unanswered call, if it goes to Voicemail. ...

I agree, but Cellular at Sea call are different than land based calls.

Dear Bob,

Good Morning. It is VERY rare for a US based plan to have a charge for an unanswered call, if it goes to Voicemail. The charge instead happens when you CHECK voicemail. We have had T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T on cruise ships over the years and never been charged for a missed call that went to voicemail.

Panjabi

My experience has been a bit different. I have AT&T and though it does not happen often, I have occasionally gotten a minute charged for unanswered calls. I think it depends on the foreign carrier handling the call as to whether a charge is applied or not.