Monterey things to see

Your going to be tendering by the pier so the Cannery Row area made famous by Steinbeck would be a 10-15 walk. I'm sure you looked at the obvious but Monterey Bay Aquarium would be there. They sometimes have a baby great white shark in the Outer Bay experience along with the massive tunas. This area also has bikes that are available for rent. Monterey Bay is a sanctuary, so a kayaking tour may be worthwhile to catch a glimpse of the sea otters laying out in the kelp and seals. I've had one jump onto the bow of the kayak onetime for a quick r&r.

To get to see amazing rugged coastline views, I would recommend a rental car for the day. Enterprise is quite close to the pier. I would highly suggest seeing the Big Sur coastline, but the massive amount of rains has blocked access, with some couple hundred residents currently trapped. Pfeiffer Canyon bridge is collapsing and is deemed unsalvageable so access will be limited for a while. Also if your hitting the area during low tide, you can go to the local tide pools to see the temporarily trapped sea creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannery row is just shopping, no? The aquarium is down that way, and there were a few unique stores.

Near the pier you will find the Monterey State Historic park. It's a collection of buildings with historical significance. Some are in the immediate area and some require walking a bit further. We looked at a few of the nearby buildings but wanted to go see an old church that was a mile or so away so we walked through town to find it. I wish we had spent more time at the historical park than in Cannery Row (although we did find some nifty gifts there).

Cannery Row is predominately restaurants and shops, but for the this area and near the pier would be where you can join a kayak tour. Whale watching tours would be off of the pier as well.

It's definitely worthwhile to have access to a car, Uber is available as well as Turo. This area encompasses 17-mile drive that will lead to Pebble Beach/Spyglass courses for those who want to see the setting as well as Carmel.

For anyone who is watching HBO's Big Little Lies series the pier is where they have coffee, but all of the houses that you see are mostly in the Carmel area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk