Lift to airplane seat-FLL or MIA

JoyFrances

I have a friend who is disabled and uses a large power wheelchair. He has no strength in his arms. There is a lift at Toronto Pearson Intl Airport to get him from his wheelchair into his seat on the plane. I have been advised by WestJet that there is no lift at Fort Lauderdale and WestJet cannot seem to confirm if there is one at Miami. Has anyone had any experience at either airport with respect to this type of disability and how the passenger has been assisted from the seat on the plane into his wheelchair?

Your help is greatly needed.

Thank You

I've never seen a lift that places a person in the airplane seat. What I've seen is the person being transferred into a small aisle transfer chair, strapped in and then taken to an aisle seat with a movable armrest, where they are then transferred over. The wheelchair is gate checked and (in theory) waiting for you at the other end.

I'm wondering if perhaps the lift is for airplanes that don't have a jetway? I've been taken up in a little fork lift contraption to the door of the plane and then I went to my seat. This was in Europe.

The lift referred to is probably this one. http://www.haycomp.com.au/aviation-lifters/eagle-2/ . Available at very few USA airports.

Mostly in the USA you get moved as described above. Important when embarking to let the gate agent know that your friend cannot transfer himself and will need to be lifted, and request at least 2 lifters (people) to do this. About 30 minutes prior to disembarking ask the cabin attendant to call ahead and remind them that your friend will need an aisle chair and to be lifted. Also, be sure that someone goes out to the jetway and snags his wheelchair when brought up from the cargo bag, and guards it. Believe it or not, people can try to take his chair!

Edited by Splinter