Cruise Director from the past...

Cruise Director from the past…

When I sailed RCCL ships for 15 years, it was during the birth and meteoric rise of Cruise Critics.com. Having hosted more than 100 Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle Parties onboard, I was able to see the increasing benefits of those that chatted on CC before taking their voyage. To see what the site has become today is overwhelming, as is the cruise knowledge available to those who subscribe. I still work with RCCL and although more than 600 Cruise Critic readers have visited my site, apparently none of them remember “Big Daddy” as only one couple has taken the time to say Hi. I was hoping it was the CC readers that remembered the likes of Genie Lee, Becky T., Candace B., Big Daddy and the monster R&R nights and endless fun on the Empress, Majesty, Monarch, Voyager, Explorer and Navigator. Do any of today’s CC enthusiasts remember these good times? Enquiring minds want to know!

JPA

Big Daddy (a.k.a. Jeffrey Arpin) was the Cruise Director, Becky was ACD, Genie was Hostess and Candace was Cruise Staff. Sorry we never got a chance to sail together.

JPA

Jeff - We were on the Navigator in 2003 on what I believe was one of your last sailings. Johnny F. was the Captain and Genie was the Hostess.

We had 40 sign up for the M&M and only about 6 of us showed up. One of the guys was involved with Sharpie pens. We really enjoyed the time you spent with us that day. I tried to find your website later that year and had no luck. Haven't thought about it for a while. Did you start the golf outings?

I read you still fill in. Hope we sail with you again if that's true. We always thought you were one of the best CDs we've had on 23 cruises.

Cruise Director from the past…

When I sailed RCCL ships for 15 years, it was during the birth and meteoric rise of Cruise Critics.com. Having hosted more than 100 Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle Parties onboard, I was able to see the increasing benefits of those that chatted on CC before taking their voyage. To see what the site has become today is overwhelming, as is the cruise knowledge available to those who subscribe. I still work with RCCL and although more than 600 Cruise Critic readers have visited my site, apparently none of them remember “Big Daddy” as only one couple has taken the time to say Hi. I was hoping it was the CC readers that remembered the likes of Genie Lee, Becky T., Candace B., Big Daddy and the monster R&R nights and endless fun on the Empress, Majesty, Monarch, Voyager, Explorer and Navigator. Do any of today’s CC enthusiasts remember these good times? Enquiring minds want to know!

JPA

YES, I do. I use to call RCL and ask where you were and book just to be with you on the cruise. You're not forgotten, just more ships and more people cruising. How do I start, this is the MAN for CD Directors. Sailed with him more time you can mention. His hear tand sole is with his cruise. There are serveral threads I have asked where you're at. Know you're in Naples doing your own thing. I did the horse rasing thing many times with you, came back on a cruise on the 7 day Soverign within 3 weeks and because of your entheusiam. You retired on me you big bum (smile) years ago and came back in 3 weeks to bring you another Kentucky shirt from Churchill just to find out you had just gotten off the ship to retire right then and there.

Anyway, I know we're just passengers, but you were THE Cruise Dicrector and Ken Rush told me so MANY times. Oldies night will never be the same without you. Can go on and on about the energy you gave to your cruises but will leave that to other threads. Have always asked where you're at on every cruise.

Not the same without you. I remember once, me and my DW asked you how much you enjoyed your CD job and envied you. You said you envied us because you had never been in love and married, hope things are fullfilling with you. Keep and in, and remember, cruising is what it is today because of Cruise Directors like you.

Dave in Kentucky

BTW, still have a Churchill Downs shirt for you.

Hey "Big Daddy", gone "Country Club" eh?? Last time DW and I were on my bike, touring the Cape, we thought of you and your new adventures. We were fortunate enough to sail twice with you before you went on to greener pastures in Ohio???

Still have great video of Rock night, with you leading the way. Definately remember when Ms. Becky was with you, and have had her since as our CD, and she does you proud!

Great to see you doing well and enjoying this stage of your career.

Best from Cape Cod!

You spoiled us! We had you on our very first cruise on the Voyager in Sept. 2002. You were awesome!! Then, we lucked out and had you for our 2nd cruise on the Navigator in Sept. 2003-you were just filling in. You, of course, were awesome again! Every other cruise director we have had does not even come close in comparison to you! We just assumed all cruise directors would be like you-you set the standard-but, we were wrong! If you still fill in sometimes-maybe we will luck out again!!

Hello!

My family was lucky enough to sail with you once and it was the best cruise ever! We still talk about you.

Remember "Africa Hot"? That is one of my favorite cruise quotes ever!

I hope you are enjoying your life. We are still cruising, but you did set the standard and NO ONE comes close to your abilities.

Let us all know about your website and catch us up on what you are doing now.

Didn't recognize the Big Daddy, but we had Jeffrey Arpin on the Voyager back in 01. We also had Becky Thompson asthe CD on the Mariner in 04. A couple of other names from the past we have had are Greg Maxwell and Ken Rush and I think Graham Seymour is with RCI now, but we had him on Carnival. Have to throw in a plug for John Heald of Carnival who we have been fortunate to have had as the CD twice. We also had Susan Wood of Celebrity.

would JAYPA happen to be Jeffrey P Arpin? If you are, then you were the CD on our first cruise on Voyager back in Sept 2002.
You would be correct. VY in 2002 were some very good times. I hope you've had a chance to do it again since then!

JPA

would JAYPA happen to be Jeffrey P Arpin? If you are, then you were the CD on our first cruise on Voyager back in Sept 2002.

Tromler,

Duh! I see now your past cruises listed as well as your upcoming Mariner cruise. Congrats. Good to see you're still hooked on the RCCL ships. Have a great cruise.

Hello!

My family was lucky enough to sail with you once and it was the best cruise ever! We still talk about you.

I hope you are enjoying your life. We are still cruising, but you did set the standard and NO ONE comes close to your abilities.

TWC,

Nice to hear from you and especilly good to hear you all had a good cruise with us. The "Africa Hot" line...wish it was mine! Using it to explain Labadee and the caribbean islands is mine...but the line is from a movie, "Mississippi Belle", or something like that. It just seemed to fit so well at the Welcome Aboard Show.

YES, I do. I use to call RCL and ask where you were and book just to be with you on the cruise. You're not forgotten, just more ships and more people cruising. How do I start, this is the MAN for CD Directors. Sailed with him more time you can mention. His hear tand sole is with his cruise. There are serveral threads I have asked where you're at. Know you're in Naples doing your own thing. I did the horse rasing thing many times with you, came back on a cruise on the 7 day Soverign within 3 weeks and because of your entheusiam. You retired on me you big bum (smile) years ago and came back in 3 weeks to bring you another Kentucky shirt from Churchill just to find out you had just gotten off the ship to retire right then and there.

Anyway, I know we're just passengers, but you were THE Cruise Dicrector and Ken Rush told me so MANY times. Oldies night will never be the same without you. Can go on and on about the energy you gave to your cruises but will leave that to other threads. Have always asked where you're at on every cruise.

Not the same without you. I remember once, me and my DW asked you how much you enjoyed your CD job and envied you. You said you envied us because you had never been in love and married, hope things are fullfilling with you. Keep and in, and remember, cruising is what it is today because of Cruise Directors like you.

Dave in Kentucky

BTW, still have a Churchill Downs shirt for you.

Dave,

You rock my man! LONG time no see. I believe the majority of our conversation was made in the Champagne Bar if I remember correctly. You were TOO much fun. Horeracing was ALWAYS fun when you guys were onboard. I'm married now...living in OH. Did Cumberland last year on a houseboat. We have to hook up. I'm new to actully USING this site but I think you can get my e-mail from this. Apparently you can't actually post it. Would love to talk to you guys. I see you're headed to the MA this month? Maybe you're there now? If I know the CD, I can send a note and have him/her watch out for you! Drop a note my man.

Hello!

TWC,

Sorry. I'm new to this site protocol. I don't think I can give you my site info. I can e-mail it to you I guess?

Jeff - We were on the Navigator in 2003 on what I believe was one of your last sailings. Johnny F. was the Captain and Genie was the Hostess.

We had 40 sign up for the M&M and only about 6 of us showed up. One of the guys was involved with Sharpie pens. We really enjoyed the time you spent with us that day. I tried to find your website later that year and had no luck. Haven't thought about it for a while. Did you start the golf outings?

I read you still fill in. Hope we sail with you again if that's true. We always thought you were one of the best CDs we've had on 23 cruises.

PaulWN,

Yes I remember that cruise...and i remember the Sharpie guy! Do you remember me saying they should come out with a mini-one with the black ink for golfers? Well, it's out and I haven't seen a royalty check yet!! Yes, I did a few golf outings and a big club trip to the Panama Canal. However, i got married and am living in OH now so things are a little different. Doing some consulting and fill-ins as Cruise Director but trying to make a go of it on land. I'd give you my website but I don't think it's allowed even though I'm not a travel agent. I'll e-mail it if you like.

Jeff - would you email your site to me at thirdparty@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks, I appreciate it.

When we talked on the Navigator, you were planning on retiring to Naples and starting a golf group holiday thing. We live in a golf community in Florida and I tried to find a web site for you to see if anyone would be interested in that from here, but had no luck.

Jeff, we were posting at the same time. I do remember you telling him to have black ones for golfers. You should get some royalty checks. I'll back you up.

We're originally from Dayton Ohio, moved to Florida in 96. I spent a lot of time in Columbus. Go Buckeyes.

Hey "Big Daddy", gone "Country Club" eh?? Last time DW and I were on my bike, touring the Cape, we thought of you and your new adventures. We were fortunate enough to sail twice with you before you went on to greener pastures in Ohio???

Still have great video of Rock night, with you leading the way. Definately remember when Ms. Becky was with you, and have had her since as our CD, and she does you proud!

Great to see you doing well and enjoying this stage of your career.

Best from Cape Cod!

Cape Cod Realtor,

Thanks for the note. I also did the Cape Cod trek on the Harley...3 summers ago for a week, including July 4th! Waltham to Buzzard's Bay, to Falmouth, ferry to the Vineyard (stayed with a childhood friend that turned out to be the owner of Chesca's in Edgartown...that made for a nice stop!) to Hyannis for a lttle happy hour with the "crazy" guy who's been doing the happy hours since I tended bar at the Brothers 4 in 197.... never mind. Then to P-town(just to look!), back to Osterville and back to Waltham. What a great ride that is. Maybe next time we can do some of it together. I hope you're well and looking forward to another Cape Cod summer. All the best.

You spoiled us! We had you on our very first cruise on the Voyager in Sept. 2002. You were awesome!! Then, we lucked out and had you for our 2nd cruise on the Navigator in Sept. 2003-you were just filling in. You, of course, were awesome again! Every other cruise director we have had does not even come close in comparison to you! We just assumed all cruise directors would be like you-you set the standard-but, we were wrong! If you still fill in sometimes-maybe we will luck out again!!

Racerswife,

What a kind note. I had to wait an hour or so to let my head swell down! I'm glad you had such a good time with us. Yes, I actually signed off the Navigator in November of 03' and I'm living in Ohio, doing some cruise consulting and fill-in work. Stay in touch...you never know where "Big Daddy's" ugly face might show up next!

PaulWN,

Yes...this whole Buckeye thing is killing the kid from Florida and the SEC! I'm doing the best I can with the Bucs...when they're not playing LSU!

Stay in touch.

Hi Jaypa think I sailed with you on the Majesty in the mid 90's

What's your website's address?

The MJ in the 90's? That was without question the GREATEST times to be a CD on a ship. No rules...just fun! Unfortunately I had so much fun (as you know) it's difficult to remember all of it. I hope you're still cruising. I do some fill-in work from time to time so perhaps we'll meet again. I don't think i can post a web address even though i'm not a travel agent...but I could e-mail it to you if you like. Nice talking with you.

Ok,I recognize your name Jeffrey.............I am sure we have cruised with you.............we have been with RCCL since 2001 and we just had our 25th cruise....

I love your loyalty to the brand! Keep it up. I hope to see you on a fill-in cruise in the future. I'm off to the Freedom next week...if you have any questions, let me know.

Archived