Prepay Tips before the Cruise

Yes. I have used the search function and my eyes are crossed from reading, but I have not seen a direct answer to this question.

If I prepay tips during the initial booking, and pay them off 70 days out, will I get any type of voucher to pass to the staff? Or will they just be advised that I prepaid on some internal document?

This is stricly before you board. I am not talking about "pre-paying" with your seapass card.

Thanks and sorry for what will be most likely the 1000th thread on this subject.:rolleyes:

Yes. I have used the search function and my eyes are crossed from reading, but I have not seen a direct answer to this question.

If I prepay tips during the initial booking, and pay them off 70 days out, will I get any type of voucher to pass to the staff? Or will they just be advised that I prepaid on some internal document?

This is stricly before you board. I am not talking about "pre-paying" with your seapass card.

Thanks and sorry for what will be most likely the 1000th thread on this subject.:rolleyes:

A few weeks ago We booked our cruise and found out we could add the tips to our bill so we did and I had the same question. Thanks ;)

Voyager 12/16/06 Western Caribbean

Voyager 11/26/05 Eastern Caribbean

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90 Mexico

I don't understand why you would pre-pay tips. You have no idea of what type service you will receive and tips are a reward for good service. It is just as convenient to put them on the sail-sign card. Not trying to start an argument just curious as to the reasoning.

Was on the Mariner last month and pre paid tips..........your vouchers will be delivered to your stateroom the last night of the cruise before debarking the next morning.

I don't understand why you would pre-pay tips. You have no idea of what type service you will receive and tips are a reward for good service. It is just as convenient to put them on the sail-sign card. Not trying to start an argument just curious as to the reasoning.

My reasoning is if I prepay tips (at time of booking-family of 4) it just seems like part of the cruise fare and does not take up 'extra room' on my seapass (and therefore credit card)...no sticker shock for me at the end of the cruise and its already taken care of...just my way of thinking...more $$ to spend onboard...now I will say I do usually add soem cash to the envelope also for any one who has done extra great..usually cabin steward and main (not head) waiter...just works out better for budgeting for us...:)

Ok I think i'm getting a little confused here, our first cruise was on Carnival last year and they added the tips each day to the sign and sail card. I saw on another thread that RCCl does NOT do that. Can you pay with S&S card like on carnival or do you have to prepay?? or pay with cash at end of cruise?? It sounds to me that this is completely different from Carnival which is ok but I guess I need to know how they do it. Thanks

(and yes we did give a little more to those who were deserving at end of cruise.)

Ok I think i'm getting a little confused here, our first cruise was on Carnival last year and they added the tips each day to the sign and sail card. I saw on another thread that RCCl does NOT do that. Can you pay with S&S card like on carnival or do you have to prepay?? or pay with cash at end of cruise?? It sounds to me that this is completely different from Carnival which is ok but I guess I need to know how they do it. Thanks

(and yes we did give a little more to those who were deserving at end of cruise.)

You can pay the traditional way with cash in the envelope or you have up until the 6th day (on a 7 day cruise) to put your tips on your seapass account. If you go the seapass route they charge the standard recommended amount. You will receive the envelopes and a voucher to give to your attendant and waiters showing you paid the tips. If you would like to tip more you can put the extra cash in the envelope with your voucher.

teajack, I think I read on the RC website - but I might have dreamt it that in some countries when you book the cruise you automatically pre pay the tips. eg when you book from the UK. I was not given the option it was just added to my sail price and detailed on the invoice from RCL. I don't want to start an argument but I guess it is because some countries find tipping easy. I rang to check and ask how the staff know I have paid and was told about the vouchers that apparently the staff can swap for cash on th ship. You can add to if service deserves even more or if service is poor you can send back for a refund.

Hi teajak,

Another line of reasoning is that despite the word "tip" or "gratuity", the reality of the situation is that this money is actually the very large majority of the wages or salary that the tipped staff receive for their hard work. Some people realize this and tip the minimum recommended amount in nearly all circumstances. If exceptional services are received, then additional amounts would fall into the true definition of a "tip".

This is also one reason why many cruise lines have changed to calling it a "service charge".

Now, that aside, my suspicion is that most people who do this just find it easier. :) Personally, I prefer to keep the money in my savings account earning me interest, rather than in RCCL's savings account earning them interest!

Theron

If you have the RCCL Visa credit card and you prepay your tips on either your seapass or credit card you get double points. That seems like a good incentive. If you wait until after you are aboard the ship you will ample opportunity to judge the quality of the service before making your decission.

Even though we have pre-paid our main tips we always bring a extra 200 for tips. I love to reward good room service and a good drink from the bar. :D Even though we are going to get vouchers if I get some realy good service I may slipe a little extra in the envelope;)

Voyager 12/16/06 Western Caribbean

Voyager 11/26/05 Eastern Caribbean

S.S. Azure Seas 11/90 Mexico

My thoughts are this. How often is it that you get bad service on a cruise. From what I read here, not very often. If I am getting bad service along the way, I will make sure someone knows about it and get it changed.

To me it just something else I can get taken care of and not have to worry about it.

Besides, my brother is going to be in the next cabin and at the same table. We will most likely have the same staff. If we get bad service, he can stiff them.:D

My thoughts are this. How often is it that you get bad service on a cruise. From what I read here, not very often. If I am getting bad service along the way, I will make sure someone knows about it and get it changed.

To me it just something else I can get taken care of and not have to worry about it.

Besides, my brother is going to be in the next cabin and at the same table. We will most likely have the same staff. If we get bad service, he can stiff them.:D

LOL :D

We prepay our gratuities each cruise. Cruisingator is correct, you are given vouchers to hand out. They will arrive in your cabin the evening before the last day of the cruise.
Hi just a quick question. I have made the final payment for my 6/9 cruise but would now like to prepay the tips. Is that a possibility or is it too late? Guess I should just call rccl but this board usually has the answer to any question. Thanks in advance. Satine

On the charter cruises that I've been on, I don't have a choice. The pre-paid gratuities are included in the price of the cruise just like taxes & port fees are.

Could someone please tell me exactly where on the RCCL Web site it will give me the option to pre pay the tips?

Go to your cruise reservation. Click Edit next to the passenger name. At the bottom of the passenger infomation page is a checkbox for pre-paying the gratuity and how much it will be. Check it and click Save Changes. You need to do this for each passenger.

Could someone please tell me exactly where on the RCCL Web site it will give me the option to pre pay the tips?

There's a better way (I think) to do this. We learned this from a well-traveled couple a few years ago:

During the last few cruises, my wife and I pre-paid the tips (in cash) on the first day "in anticipation of great service during our stay". This way, the dinner wait staff and room steward remember us just a little bit better. We've found that, at dinner, we're the first orders taken at our table, the first to receive our food, and there's a bit more attention paid to our needs. The room steward is a little more attentive, too.

If they've been really good, we leave a little extra during the last day. It's worked every time.

I've read that some waiters, stewards, etc. find tipping on the first day insulting, as they think they are being bribed to do their jobs. Or that the passengers believe that if they don't tip, they won't get good service. In my experience, tipping on the first day has not improved service although it hasn't noticeably worsened it either. I have given up this practice, paid the suggested tips in cash on the last night and added money for those who did an outstanding job.

Your mileage may vary.

Archived