Condition of Splendour of the Seas

NRG

I'm thinking of booking Splendour for a Med cruise in Oct. 2007. We are so used to the newer ships with all the bells and whistles....has anyone been on this ship lately? Any recent info is appreciated.

We cruised the med on the Splendor last October. The only problem we had is that it does not have any "specialty" restaurants. If you prefer dining in the dining room, it is no big deal, but if you like Chops and Portofino's - you will be out of luck. We really missed that aspect of our cruise.

When we sailed on our 12 night Panama cruise on the Splendour the main dining room food was better than our cruise that had the specialty restaurants. Maybe it is better to not have a alernative dining choice.

Since RCCL has an expensive investment in all of their ships they don't neglect them. Just because a ship is older doesn't mean that they are dumps. We sailed on the Majesty of the Seas before our Brilliance cruise and I must say the food was better on the 3 day cruise than the 11 night cruise. The Majesty was in wonderful shape even being an older ship. I wish my house was as updated as the ships are. I would love new carpet!

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, we do enjoy dining in the specialty restaurants on the 'mega' ships but I don't think that will be an issue on this cruise because we will probably have lunch off the ship at some seaside cafes on the Greek islands. Sounds good to me. To any of you who have sailed Splendour to the Med, I'ld love to hear your travel tips or suggestions.

Hello all,

My husband works in the dining room and I can tell you that the dining room is one of the nicest I have been in. I have sailed 8 cruises on 5 different lines.( I am a travel agent..we keep travel in the family :) )

It has floor to ceiling windows and it is two story with a very nice staircase. So for that alone I think it is okay there is no alternative restaurant. But I may be biased.

Have fun!

Archived