QM2 World Cruise 2007

Emu

Just curious if anyone knows how bookings are running for this voyage???

We are booked on the San Francisco - Southampton sector but some people I have spoken to were put off by the number of continuous sea days. (eg Sydney - Hong Kong non stop).

Aside to this there seems to be a big marketing "push" here in Australia for both the QM2 and QEII as well as the P&O world cruises, with a lot of full page ads in newspapers and magazines.

Also...... if anyone is interested, it has been confirmed that the QM2 will berth in Sydney in February at the Naval dockyard, and when the QEII arrives later the same day, it will berth at the overseas passenger terminal. There is also a fireworks show planned in the evening with both ships side by side.

All info or comments welcome!

We think the best part of a QM2 cruise IS sea days! On West Coast Break we did not leave the ship. On the Hawaiian trip we left for only a short period at each port - anticipating the return each time! We chose SFO-SYD precisely for max sea days!

We are booked Sydney- Dubai and I can't wait! I too like the sea days and the ports on this part of the cruise are interesting too. I agree re the marketing push here in Australia, I would love to know how their bookings are going.

Cheers

Timmi

How is QM2 selling? well, the S.F. to Sydney and the Sydney to Dubai segments are "waitlist only" in both grill classes at the moment with a small scattering of Britannia cabins left. The other segments may be just as heavily booked. I think that will give you a good idea of it's popularity.

How is QM2 selling? well, the S.F. to Sydney and the Sydney to Dubai segments are "waitlist only" in both grill classes at the moment with a small scattering of Britannia cabins left. The other segments may be just as heavily booked. I think that will give you a good idea of it's popularity.

Hmmm... well not necessarily so. First, inventory is split three ways for the world.. then it is split up for segments.

Then you have agencies who have groups themselves.. and then you have consortium group space.

There really is quite alot of space, you just have to know who has it!

How does one find out who has the space? Are there "super agents" and, if so, who are they? It would seem that these agents would have the really good prices - for the Grills also do you think? Cunard lists some but we have called a few and they did not appear to know anything special...

How does one find out who has the space? Are there "super agents" and, if so, who are they? It would seem that these agents would have the really good prices - for the Grills also do you think? Cunard lists some but we have called a few and they did not appear to know anything special...

Cunard limits the Grill categories to groups. The top Q Grill suites are never allowed in group allotments. I have clients sailing in P2 and Q6 on QM2's world. Just so you know, the booking bonuses: prepaid gratuities, OBC, comp shoreside events from Cunard expired May 31st.

We booked 1 1/2 years ago for the entire voyage.

We recently changed from a hull balcony to a premium balcony on deck 11.

I gave a list of 6 staterooms in the area where we wished to be, and ALL were still available.

If you book a Queens Grill suite for the entire world cruise, can you bring your cat and have it in your suite with you?

---------------------------------------------------------

THAT is really a good question. I would think that you could, the kennel is no place for a cat.

I see no reason why the cat couldn't stay with you, other than it being inadvertantly let out by staff.

I see no reason why the cat couldn't stay with you, other than it being inadvertently let out by staff.

You might also run into all sorts of regulations in foreign countries. For example in the UK, unless the cat had a "Pet Passport" it would be held in quarantine as soon as it entered the country. I doubt that Cunard would be willing to undergo all the paperwork that could be involved for the cost of a QG cabin. (Charter the entire ship for the entire WC and then they might help!)

Too bad about the cat. I guess I won't be doing the World Cruise after all.

Aw, C'mon, Hobbit! You could easily sneak one on in that backpack thing of yours! Or pick one up at the Roman ruins (It was Rome, right?) Of course, coming from one who sleeps in luggage racks! I liked the Venice tale of the Gondoliers, too, and the rail strike, and the real Budvar, (Budweiser- the original Czech beer) and the nekkid sheep and the distillleries and the SCUBA adventure including Clive Cussler's hero.. oh yeah, and the "fine Scottish dining establishments" you managed to find all over. (There's one on the Champs Elysee, you know- Oh yeah, that "Suddenly opened reservation" at the Tour d'Eiffel!)

And thanks for keeping me up til 2 AM on a work night! I read every page! You guys are a hoot!

Thanks for the entertainment!

I still remember you posting before you went!

Karie,

Who heartily recommends a full reading of Wendell and Hobbit's travels and travails in their European sojourn before their crossing back to the US.

Starting here:

http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay1.htm

Cunard limits the Grill categories to groups. The top Q Grill suites are never allowed in group allotments. I have clients sailing in P2 and Q6 on QM2's world. Just so you know, the booking bonuses: prepaid gratuities, OBC, comp shoreside events from Cunard expired May 31st.

ocngypz: If you are a TA, how does one contact you for info?

ocngypz: If you are a TA, how does one contact you for info?

Hmmm, Rules of the board are that a travel agent may not solicit business on the boards (since they are advertiser supported) and (Fer instance- I am one but I mainly do it for friends and people I know- I just do this on the side, I get vicarious enjoyment out of it and really just want to see people have a great time at a reasonable price- Just like for myself! I honestly don't make money at it, after expenses) and anyway, I don't have any group space held! <G> I don't even mind giving out free advice! Like CALL to see if you can get the "complimentary upgrade" on our Lbor Day cruise!

That said, if I were a thinking man, or even a betting man, (And I am neither, since I am a woman) I would be willing to bet that if you took her screen name (which means Ocean Gypsies, BTW, I asked!) and added the most famous and widely used internet provder as the isp on the end of it (You do know how to create an email address, right?) You might find a way to send her a private email!

Karie,

Who has NEVER EVER been on AOL.COM EVER! (Despite the mountain of "FREE disks!~" And I have been on the internet before there was a MSN, Explorer (Which I also don't use) or Outlook! In fact, I remember when we old-timers complained abut the advent of banner ads- NOT pop-ups! Those hadn't been invented yet! My first internet experience was with a non-graphical browser! Netscape had JUSt been invented by two college kids in their garage! And I STILL use Eudiora for a mail client! NO MS stuff if I can help it. Every hacker in the unverse writes to take advantage of MS products' holes! Oh yeah- and I put in the infrastructure for my original ISP, snet.net, here in CT. (The phone company- where I started working in 1979- and now work for a spin-off of that company still owned by them and another tel co. - 27 long years of continuous service!)

I am one but I mainly do it for friends and people I know . . . . . I don't even mind giving out free advice!

Karie - I'd like some advice:) I'm told that the US fares are much, much cheaper (for example, on the Christmas 2007 Cruise on the QE2, a C5 in dollars works out as £3204.00, in sterling it costs £3829.00. Our Agent will discount this further but I assume that a US agent would as well). I'm told, although I haven't tried it, that US agencies will only accept bookings from US citizens. Is there any way in which we can book at the lower US rate without being a US Citizen?

(I'm not asking you to solicit, just for advice (besides ladies who solicit are in a very different line of business over here:) ))

America OnLine works really well, especially when one spends an inordinate amount of time at sea.... like me. I've used various ISP's through the years as well, but have always kept aoldotcom... because it has never failed me.. and since I've had it now.. and the same screenname for over 10 years, friends and relatives have begged me not to change.

I have successfully booked UK clients on the US tariff. However, it needs to be done using a GDS and the agent cannot input your UK past passenger number. Also it has to be cruise-only, no air. And then..... while keeping one's fingers crossed, calling in the credit card payment. You need a helpful rez agent who is willing to push the rez system into accepting the card (by monkeying around with the required fields. This is the hardest part. It is easier when the agent is booking into previously held group space.

Good luck with the Christmas booking.

Karie - I'd like some advice:) I'm told that the US fares are much, much cheaper (for example, on the Christmas 2007 Cruise on the QE2, a C5 in dollars works out as £3204.00, in sterling it costs £3829.00. Our Agent will discount this further but I assume that a US agent would as well). I'm told, although I haven't tried it, that US agencies will only accept bookings from US citizens. Is there any way in which we can book at the lower US rate without being a US Citizen?

(I'm not asking you to solicit, just for advice (besides ladies who solicit are in a very different line of business over here:) ))

I actually, I did it once, but for someone who was moving back after living over there. I would say Ocean Gypsy's post says how difficult this might be. The thing I would always be afraid of is that someone in Cunard, for instance, might find out and cancel the booking, leaving the person totally left out. Of course, it's not like you could totally hide it, since you have to provide passport info and citizenship and such. I have heard a few possibilities as to why this is. (the disparity in costs) One is that the British (and most Western Europeans) take their "holidays" quite seriously, to the extent that even companies support employees "right" to vacations, where as this is not so prominent over here. Also, people are willing to save up for the trip of a lifetime, or forego other pleasures to afford it. I think most Europeans live more simply than most Americans. We (me included) spend more money on stuff we don't need becasue TV ads and popular culture have convinced us that we will simply DIE without it! You've got to have the newest biggest screen TV, for instance, and the latest greatest clothing, cars, furniture. We look down on anything a few years old, and lately, it seems even more and more, build obsolescence into products that needn't become obsolete! (For instance, my firewall software is no longer supported by its manufacturer, and is givng me fits with new versions of stuff it doesn't want to recognize- A firewall is a firewall! One should not have to update definitions as one does an antivirus software- The manufacturer's answer? BUY an new upgraded version of the same thing I already bought and paid for! Neat trick huh? I will, but you can bet it won't be THEIR version! It doesn't even recognize the newest version of their own antivirus software!) Anyway, because of the attitude towards the importance of holidays, people are willing to pay for what they want, while Americans are willing often to settle for less if they can save money. So Cunard is doing what all companies in business to make a profit do- Charging what the market will bear~ And British are willing to pay more to assure themselves of getting what they want! (Americans would rather pay less and bitch about the quality!) Also, there are differences in the way things are done. Europeans are not used to tipping the way Americans are. I understand some lines build the tips in. Likewise, you have the laws about insurance requirements and not getting back your deposit if you change your mind. These change the costs to the cupplier in Eurpoe as compared to the US.

You know, I do believe I will ask Cunard ext time I talk to them if it is possible for me, for instance, to book a friend from England at American prices. Of course, it would be my responsibility as the agent to get their docs to them, as they are sent to me.

Karie,

who thinks a career soliciting (not as a solicitor) would be just fine, if only she could choose her clients- Imagine not only "having" your favorite celebrity or rock star/movie star, but having him pay you for the privelege as well!

The thing I would always be afraid of is that someone in Cunard, for instance, might find out and cancel the booking, leaving the person totally left out.

I hadn't thought of Cunard taking action against you. The biggest problem I foresaw was that I'd pay my money and that would be it - no money and no holiday! In the UK there is protection so that if an agent gets into financial trouble you don't loose all your money, is there in the States? I think that our scheme would apply to anyone booking a package with a bonded agent here but I'm not sure.

I have heard a few possibilities as to why this is. (the disparity in costs)

Because of the attitude towards the importance of holidays, people are willing to pay for what they want, while Americans are willing often to settle for less if they can save money.

Have you ever been to Yorkshire? It's not so much the desire to pay less as the desire to get a good bargain:)

Cunard is doing what all companies in business to make a profit do- Charging what the market will bear

Is it Cunard or your Government who says that non US citizens can't book holidays from US brochures?

Of course, it would be my responsibility as the agent to get their docs to them, as they are sent to me

In this country it is becoming more and more common for companies not to issue documentation. You get a booking reference and an email and that's it. I know that Cunard can cope with forgotten tickets, I wonder how long they'll go on issuing paper tickets. I don't actually think you'd have to get the final tickets to us before we went.

A firewall is a firewall!

Ah, computers - don't you love them?

Imagine not only "having" your favorite celebrity or rock star/movie star, but having him pay you for the privelege as well!

I am! It would be great fun!

I hadn't thought of Cunard taking action against you. The biggest problem I foresaw was that I'd pay my money and that would be it - no money and no holiday! In the UK there is protection so that if an agent gets into financial trouble you don't loose all your money, is there in the States? I think that our scheme would apply to anyone booking a package with a bonded agent here but I'm not sure.

Actually, I was referring to the customer, not the agent. I'm sure it has happened, but I can't imagine them not taking a legitimate booking from a legitimate agent. But you are right. the reason I started doing this, I was helping a friend on the west coast get the word out about a cruise she wanted others to go on with her. She was not an agent, and had nothing to gain except having a lot of like-minded friends on the trip. The cruise agent the line had recommended went belly-up a few weeks before. The cruise was honored, but they lost their air. Imagine trying to get air from Spokane Washington to Tortola (where the cruise started- it was a Windjammer) at the last minute! I said, "you know, we could do better than this ourselves!" So we both looked up what it takes to be an agent, and both went to our local community colleges and were asked to join an agency. I rarely even tell people I am an agent, but am always willing to help people get good rate or pick out a trip, if I am knowledgeable about what they are looking for, even if it does not benefit me in any way. But then, I don't make my living at this. BTW, usually, the money has to go right to the cruise line in order to make their dates and amounts for deposits and such. I'd be a bit uncomfortable if I did not have some official looking piece of paper in my hands (even an email) after paying!

Have you ever been to Yorkshire? It's not so much the desire to pay less as the desire to get a good bargain:)

No, but I have a friend who used to skydive at Ha'penny Green in Yorkshire. She moved over here in an au pair program and jumped at our drop zone. If everyone there is like her.. whoooeee! Look out! <G>

Is it Cunard or your Government who says that non US citizens can't book holidays from US brochures?

Cunard.

They set the prices. They aren't really regulated by our government.

In this country it is becoming more and more common for companies not to issue documentation. You get a booking reference and an email and that's it. I know that Cunard can cope with forgotten tickets, I wonder how long they'll go on issuing paper tickets. I don't actually think you'd have to get the final tickets to us before we went.

The cost of printing and mailing (and tracking) docs is getting very expensive. If they could cut out that cost, it would save them money. BY the same token many businesses want you to accept E-billing. I still want my paper bills in case my computer crashes, or something gets lost in the spam. But I don't have a problem with e-docs. As long as i know they are coming and can look for them. I did our entire Florida trip this month that way, booking everything- air, hotel and rental car, the night before. Just regular consumer internet. I get better car rates booking consumer than as an agent, and the small commision isn't worth it. Airlines don't commission any more. I even did the hotel on the internet. There is a place for your agent info on their regular consumer pages.

Karie,

who just likes to have a great vacation and wants others to, too!

Thanks Karie.

Sorry we kept you up so late reading our website, Wendell was tickeled pink that you read the entire thing, he spent a lot of time on it.

I'm still bitter about the cat, but Wendell wants to go on the Queen Mary again.

We did eventually find some pictures of the atrium veiw rooms before we left, so we knew what we would be getting.

Hobbit

Queen Mary 2 May 17th 2006

http://www.evilscoutmaster.com/EurDay1.htm (click on day 36 for Queen Mary review).

Thanks Karie.

Sorry we kept you up so late reading our website, Wendell was tickeled pink that you read the entire thing, he spent a lot of time on it.

I'm still bitter about the cat, but Wendell wants to go on the Queen Mary again.

The pleasure was mine!

Y'all did a great job.

The cat will miss you, but appreciate you more when you return! (HA! The litttle buggers never appredciate anything!)

I'll send you a couple of mine. We collect ferals and strays and get them fixed and release them. Several have adopted us and live in little houses on our deck (made of rubbermaid tubs upside down with a door cut in them and purr pads inside for warmth and comfort) And we have three offspring of a feral who were born in our house. they are 3 years old now and as unappreciative as ever~! Sometimes I think we pay more for their care when we are gone than we pay for ourselves going away.

Enjoy!

Karie,

who can actually appreciate a week away from our little runners who runthe house! They just let us live there.

All cruiselines have separate tariffs for different parts of the globe. Sometimes it works in favor of US tariffs, sometimes it does not. It always changes on a case by case basis.

If a booking should be cancelled by the cruiseline, the agency is notified. Well, let me rephrase that since it seems some agents don't keep tabs on their bookings and secondary deposits. I use Cunard's proprietary reservation system which will decline the reservation as soon as I attempt to book it.

If it doesn't accept it, I know right away. No second guessing.

Archived