Please help I am a packing nightmare!

Ok I cruise in 23 days ( leave in 21) plenty of time to get ready right? WRONG because I will be gone for 14 of those days, in another state staying with my mom. With this being said~ please help me pack

I LOVE clothes and always bring way to many, 10 swim suits 5 long dresses and shoes, wow I don't even want to tell you.

I can't decide between dresses so I bring them all same goes for shoes. I worry about tan lines so need many different swim suit options. I get so stressed before a vacation that I waste the first day calming down.

What do I really need? How many pair of shorts? t-shirts? Do I need jeans? my own beach towels? something to sleep in? ( there will be children in my cabin or I would go au naturale!) Can I wear the same sun dress repeatedly to dinner or is that taboo?

HELP ME.......:eek:

Hi Carole Ann,

I noticed that you are sailing in 23 days on the conquest! We are too. Check out the Conquest July 9th roll call.

Packing: I packed way too much for my first couple of cruises. I found it was easier to bring fewer clothes - less to pack, unpack, pack, unpack:)

I also try stick to 1 color scheme so I don't have to take a bunch of shoes to match everything! Last year I took white slacks and capris so every shirt I took matched. For formal nights I have a black sleeveless dress that I am going to wear a different jacket with to change the look.

Are you planning to do some laundry onboard or not? Please note that on my previous cruise, we did do 1 laundry load (dark colors) for both of us.

The mix-and-match system is the best if you want to pack light. That means that you opt for 2 (or max 3) colors for the major part of your clothes. Navy and white, navy and beige, black and beige, black and red, navy and pale blue, pink and creme, beige and brown, khaki and creme are some options. Then, you can also add small items (t-shirts, belts) in other colors to add some color to your outfits. Just make sure that most tops can fit with most bottoms.

Here after is an example of what you could bring. Let say you go for Navy and beige mix-and-match.

- Swimsuit (2-3)

*For me, 2 swimsuits are enough because I don't wear them everyday. If you use swimsuits a lot, take 3 (they don't take much room anyway).

*Any color will do but vary the type to avoid tan lines.

- Coverup (1-2) that fit your swimsuits

- Skirts and capris (3-4 total) - capris on the dressy side or skirts (short or knee lenght made of light fabric) .

*They are better than shorts in my opinion because they look nice for casual nights when you wear them with a nice top and you can wear the same skirt again another day on ship or on shore (paired with a cute t-shirt or polo shirt). They look good with sandals (dressy or casual) and are also fine (especially the short skirts or capris) with walking shoes.

*Navy capris, Navy skirt, Beige skirt, creme capris

Shorts (1)

*I am not a big fan of shorts but I always bring one pair for some shore excursions (Everglades boat ride is a good example) where I don't feel a skirt is appropriate. Then, I pair it with a casual tank top and running shoes. If you don't bring any skirts or capris, then you should bring 3-4 pairs of shorts to compensate (but you will have to bring more evening clothes too since shorts are not accepted in the dinning rooms at night).

* Dark beige shorts

Tops:

*polo shirts with sleeves or sleeveless (2): 1 creme with navy lines (would fit the botoms would be ok even for casual nights), 1 other color polo shirt

*T-shirts (2-3) (any color, they will add color to you outfits) think aqua, red, green, pink or another color that fit with navy, beige and creme.

*Tank tops (any colors as t-shirts)

*dressy tops or blouse (3) that match the bottoms for casual nights.

Pants (slacks) (1)

In case its cold one day (navy), better to wear pants on flight because it tends to get cold.

Formal wear (2)

2 gowns or cocktail dresses or 1 long skirt with two different very dressy tops. For this color scheme example Creme dress and another pastel dress would be a good idea (see shoes section).

Light jacket (1-2)

Here I don't meen a windbreaker or anything of the like. I mean a light jacket for the dinning rooms. Navy and beige jackets.

Sundress (if you want)

I don't bring sundress since they don't mix-and-match easily but if you do bring one, I think it is ok to wear the same dress twice for dinner but you should think in pairing it with a light jacket for one of the nights (to change the look of it).

Shoes: Don't bring too many, they take up so much room. I suggest:

*Dressy creme strappy sandals for formal night (can also be worn with the creme capris on casual night).

*Casual elastic sling back sandals (tan or beige) for casual nights, daytime on ship and some excursion not involving extensive walking.

*flip flops (color that fit your 2-3 swimsuits)

*running shoes or walking shoes, navy. (depending if you use the gym or not). Those are to be worn on embarkation day.

Purse (2)

a small one for formal night matching the shoes (creme) and another one to matcht the tan casual sandals.

Hat (1 or more)

Bring at least one hat since it can get hot and sunny. I bring many hats (baseball caps, straw hats, visors, etc.). Again, Beige and navy are good bets for this example.

PJ

Underwear (enough for 1/2 cruise, if you plan on using the laundry facilities). Socks, panties, bras, strapless bra for formal nights.

Jewellery (only the jewel that fit with the clothes you bring with you)

Wrap or shawl for your formal dress.

If you want, you can list what you are planning on bringing with you and I'll tell you if I think you have too much or not enough. I am a light packer, I think. I went on a 10 days vacation (not cruise, nothing formal) and had only a backpack and a small carry-on. Never missed any clothes I left home (I do bring more clothes for a cruise but last time is was a medium suitcase + small carry-on only... for 10 days land and sea vacation).

Don't forget, every top should fit 2-3 bottoms and every bottom should match with at least 3 different tops. This way, you don't have to bring as many clothes but you still have choice on what to wear.

Thanks that was so well written! I really appreciate it. My color schemes are black pink and red ( my favs) I have my formals, both are tops with the same black skirt, and then I have three red dresses for the other dinners. ( Did I mention I like red? )that leaves two nights where I have to wear the same thing.....

I am a shorts wearer, and a gym visitor, so I have gym clothes. I will definitely have tennies on when I board, will fly in shorts (coming from Memphis) bring two sweaters that can be worn over the red dresses, one black one white. I have a shawl thing for the formals.

What about excursions? I am doing some pretty physical excursions, cave tubing, zip line, ruin tour with jungle walk and kayaking. All will end in a swim suit, could I wear my suit with just shorts over it? Or is that taboo? They are all tankinis.

Thanks so much I truly appreciate your advice!:)

I am sailing on the Valor

Hi, I sailed on the Valor last year and if you do end up taking too few cloths there are laundry rooms on with coin machines and ironing board!!!

The iron came in handy formal night, but go early the line was long!!!!

Robin

Great packing list. I'd like to add that I pack by using a chart of the days and nights, assigning the clothing choices see where I can mix and match. I'm not hard line that I have to wear the blue sundress on Tuesday, but it just gives me a general idea. My husband and I have been cutting down on packing the last few years and I have to say, it is a pleasure. All the way around, not as much to pack, haul, repack, organize, less laundry when we get home. I thought I would miss the choices, but actually it's a whole lot easier to just wear what you've got along, you don't stress over it so much.

You can wear the same outfit the first and last nights dinner, no one will remember. We let the ship take care of the laundry/dry cleaning. We do the same thing with boarding/disembarkation, wear the same outfit. That cuts out two whole outfits right there.

I don't skimp on bathing suits, I am in them quite a bit on a cruise and don't like to wear the same two over and over again. Plus, I take a sacrificial one for the hot tubs, I rarely go into the pools. I don't really worry about tan lines, as I try not to tan, I wear a 30-40 spf. I do try to tan my legs a bit, though, just not very dark.

The thought of wearing a pair of shorts on an airplane gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've only done it once, the fabric weave on the plane seat was so irritating to my skin, I could feel it for days afterward.

Yes, you can wear shorts over your bathing suit. I take along a clean pair of undies in a ziploc. Again, the wuss in me cannot tolerate the dampness of a bathing suit, sitting in it to return to the ship. Since you wear tankinis, you could easily do this.

DH does call me Princess at times :D

I have traveled for business for the past 20 years and this is the system I came up with:

Prepare a grid with the days you re traveling and what acivities are expected: ie daytime tourism and beach- a pair of bermudas and t shirt with bathing suit underneath -evening formal black and blue gown with blue jeweled sandals and baby blue pashmina shawl.

And build your grid for all the cruise days like this, don't forget to print it and take it with you. Hubbie has the exact same grid. This way all the hard work gets done before the cruise.

Hope this helps:)

Here's my list. I'm a worrier and I found that if I make a list, once I check things off, I'm packed. No more worries.

CRUISE PACKING LIST

Tickets

Passports

Cash

Ship tips

$1 and $5

Quarters

Jewelry

Panties

Hose

Socks

Slips

Shorts

Jeans

Shirts

Dress clothes

Pajamas

Swimsuit

Walking shoes

Sandals

Dress shoes

Fanny pack

Little purse for key on ship

Makeup

Mirror

Deodorant

Razor

Hand cream

Face cream

Lip balm

Travel wipes

Hair brushes

Hair gel

Hair dryer

Hair spray

Shampoo

Soap

Nail polish, remover, emery bd.

Toothbrush

Floss

Toothpaste

Contact case, cleaners, extras

Glasses

Prescriptions

Dirty laundry bag

Spritzer for clothes

Magazines

Clock

Phone numbers

Camera & equipment

Extension cord

Pull out every thing you need, than put half away.:D Seriously, I always over pack. The only problem to that, it has to be hauled around. It also makes for less space for whatever I plan on buying.

You mentioned it took the first day to calm down. There was a concert in town I really wanted to go to the night before we were to leave. I took an extra day off work. I told my family that if they needed my help with anything, it was going to be done the day before. It set a tone. I had everything all packed, had a manicure, pedicure, and a massage that afternoon. We ate out, went to the concert, all giving me a jump start. It was worth it. Maybe an extra day could help.:rolleyes:

Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks that was so well written!I really appreciate it. [

Thank you, it was a pleasure... I love talking about packing on the light side.

My color schemes are black pink and red ( my favs) I have my formals, both are tops with the same black skirt, and then I have three red dresses for the other dinners. ( Did I mention I like red? )that leaves two nights where I have to wear the same thing.....

Black pink and red are great for mix-and-match!

Then you definitely need black strappy sandals and a pair of nice casual red sandals (and maybe another pair of sporty sandals for your shore excursions). You can wear the same thing twice if you have too. You don't have a pair of black capris or a casual black skirt? it could be paired with a nice top and your strappy black sandals. If not, don't worry about it.

I am a shorts wearer, and a gym visitor, so I have gym clothes. I will definitely have tennies on when I board, will fly in shorts (coming from Memphis) bring two sweaters that can be worn over the red dresses, one black one white. I have a shawl thing for the formals.

I would never fly in shorts (planes are way too cold to my liking... maybe because I fly mostly in north of USA and Canada? I recommend black pants (they could also be worn one evening on board).

What about excursions? I am doing some pretty physical excursions, cave tubing, zip line, ruin tour with jungle walk and kayaking. All will end in a swim suit, could I wear my suit with just shorts over it? Or is that taboo? They are all tankinis.
It's fine to wear shorts over your bathing suit but I would also bring a t-shirt or light sweater just in case.

this is what I do.....11 night cruise I plan on 4 evening outfits....yes you can weat them more than once ;) 2-3 bathing suits is enough, plan on about 10-12 shirts, 4-5 shorts (they do have guest laundrettes on most ships), 6 pairs of shoes altogether should do it,.....too much means more to lug and not enough spare room for items you will be buying..... ;)

Archived