Report - The Hotel California - Santa Monica, CA

Curt Jerome Wild

Checked this hotel out again today...

The Hotel California

1670 Ocean Avenue

Santa Monica, CA 90401

866-571-0000

http://www.hotelca.com/losangeles/

Originally, this was a hangout hotel for local surfers...

Well, the new owners bought it a few years ago, totally renovated it and ran with the history!

It is now a hip, modern, California surfer dream.

It's a combination of surf, Hollywood, and California Spanish style.

This is a good hotel for people on a moderate budget for the area (other hotels right nearby are easily twice or three times the price), who want a smaller boutique hotel, and also want a real Califorina experience; as opposed to just a nice generic luxury hotel.

Pros:

Location, location, location!

Arguably the best location in Santa Monica.

The closest hotel to the entrance of the Santa Monica pier, walk south and you are on the Venice Boardwalk. Walk north and you are at right at the entrance to Palisades Park, one block east is the hip and funky Main Street, one block over and two blocks up is the Third Street Promenade.

Down the steps at the end of the hotel, and you are on the beach (they will give you a key to the security gate to get back into the hotel).

Cool, hip, but historical decor. Hardwood and tile floors. Beautiful custom made hardwood headboards sculpted like surfboards. A rich surfer's dream apartment.

Cute little California style patio/courtyard. Hang out, have a beer, have a cigarette, or just hang out.

Price for what it is - a cool boutique hotel, literally right next door to luxury hotels charging three times as much.

Cons:

No pool. If you need or want a pool, you will not get one here. (Although you can pay $30 a day to use the facilities at the next door Loews Hotel).

Views, not so much. If you are on the second floor in certain rooms, then you get a view of the beach or sunset over the top of the building.

But you won't be hanging out in your room looking at the view (but again, you can just walk half a block to the pier, or the park, or down the stairs to the beach).

General info:

This would be great for couples (if you can swing it, get a jacuzzi suite, which is basically a really big whirlpool jacuzzi tub, but also really nice)...

Or families get one of the rooms with the trundle bed, good for two kids, and the kitchen, plenty of room for a family of four (if not five, but you'd have to check with the hotel on if you could get a rollaway).

If you don't drive, or are planning to rent a car, then this would be a great hotel. Days worth of things to see in walking distance.

Tour company that picks up from the hotel for Hollywood or Universal.

I would also recommend booking one of the rooms in the back of the hotel, preferably on the second floor overlooking the courtyard if you want an "ocean" or "sunset/sunrise" view out your front window.

The prime room I would recommend if you have the funds is room 37, which is a kitchen suite, but also has it's own little patio (tiny) on the second floor.

I would not necessarily book one of the rooms facing Ocean Avenue, (probably more noise) and you might feel a little more like you are in "the city of Santa Monica", as opposed to the back/courtyard rooms, which are more quiet and you feel like you're on the beach.

If anyone stays here, please add reviews to this thread.

I will post pictures later on.

I hope that this helps people in the future.;)

CJW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay, out the door, past the couch...

2325264800079337728ThvVPp_th.jpg

to the view on the balcony at sunset!

2031262880079337728fhbfxv_th.jpg

entrance to the bike and rollerblading path...

I love this little courtyard to hang out and chill with friends or family in the evening...

2981073220079337728uzIKzN_th.jpg

another view from a corner room

2993880740079337728xEbYxl_th.jpg

and one of the personal balconies (from the next suite coming up)...

2477510660079337728WMCBar_th.jpg

Entrance to the suite...

2731199550079337728zYWuLY_th.jpg

(somewhere I have pictures of the kitchen, but can't find those right now)

The smaller second bedroom

2213156790079337728QjSqtf_th.jpg

The second suite bathroom

2133860520079337728UnhlVD_th.jpg

outside view of one of this suite's personal balcony (and others)

2449416510079337728BcNqzm_th.jpg

and one of my favorite things about this hotel (because the peacefulness compared to some other Santa Monica hotels)...

The secret private stairs and entrance to Santa Monica Beach and pier!

Available to hotel guests only!

2900373360079337728ZRFEGH_th.jpg

I'll add some other thread/links to other area hotels to compare and contrast...

My other quiet favorite in the area - Cal Mar

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

Holiday Inn - alright if you know what you're getting into

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=699622

Ocean View - again alright if you know what you're getting into

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=699726

Just all actual "pros and cons" so that you can make your own best judgements!

Archived