Baby food on board

sbmizzou

We are scheduled to go on the Grand Princess on March 31st. We will have two infants. I called Princess and requested baby food for the infants. He stated that this was confirmed and that nothing else was required.

I was under the impression that they fax you something and you pick the type of food that you want for the kid. Is that correct or do you select the food once you get on board?

Anyone who has done this with any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

sbmizzou

We are sailing this Saturday with our 6 month old DD on the Grand. I requested baby food for her via the cruise personalizer on line. It stated that a fax was required pertaining to what baby food and how much we needed. I aimed high, and sent the fax in last week with our requests. I received an email a few days ago outlining what they ordered for us.

I requested 30 jars of Stage 1 food--20 Veges and 10 fruits. I figured what we didn't use, we could just take it home with us. To my surprise, the Onboard Services Rep ordered us 50 jars (2.5 oz each), 10 dinners (not exactly sure what a dinner is for Stage 1 foods), 30 veges, and 10 fruits. I thought this was all that they provided. Not so. She went on to order 10 bottles of juice and 1 box of cereal (8 oz). I was very surprised at that. I was advised they carry Gerber, which is what DD eats. You can request either Stage 1 or Stage 2 foods.

In the letter, they stated they do not supply baby formula, wipes, specialty bottled water, or specialty foods (like Stage 3 meals, organic, toddler foods.) Make sure if you need these items, you bring them with you.

They sell diapers for 16.95 for 12 based on availabilty and no guarantee of brand names--very expensive so bring 10-15% more than you think you might need.....you never know.....

Once onboard, we are to contact the Matire d'Hotel to obtain the baby food and to advise him of the varieites and amounts of each we would like--although they can't guarantee the variety of certain items--and if what you preorder is not enough, you can coordinate with the M d'H for extra supplies should you run out.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I would definately send in the fax to them. Sounds imperative to get the correct foods and to ensure they have it on board for you.

Thanks for the information. I will fax to Princess a request. I just have to check with my wife to figure out if the kid is on Stage 1 or State 2 food. Also have to check with the friends that are going with to see what their daughter is eating.

sbmizzou

I would bring your own jars of baby food, just so there are no suprises.

I concur. My wife and I traveled with our infant sun last year on the Grand Princess. We completed the pre-cruise paperwork for baby food and it was provided for us on board. However, neither the brand (Gerbers, as I recall) nor the flavors/varieties were what our child was used to; consequently, he did not eat most of the baby food they provided. Fortunately, we had packed some of his usual food just in case we encountered any troubles. Between the few flavors Princess provided that junior ate, and the jars we brought aboard ourselves, we got by. But if we hadn't packed some baby food as a backup, it would have been a challenge.

Wish I had known!!! I've travelled with babies and I swear I could have done with one less suitcase had I known they'd supply food. WOW - I'm seriously in shock here!

Our room stewards were great though. Our fridge was always stocked with milk (for the toddler) and bottled water (to mix with the formula). I never had to pay for the water or milk. Also, they'd take the bottles whenever I left them out and ran them through their dishwasher. Honestly, they were horrified when they saw my set-up in the bathroom (dish soap, a bottle brush, tea towel, lol). Great service!

Baby food... who'd have guessed!

Archived