The OC Tour - by CJW

Curt Jerome Wild

Hey all!

So a general tour of things to do and locations going from the piers to LAX if you are a fan of the OC (or small stop if you are a fan of Beverly Hills 90210 or Buffy The Vampire Slayer)...

Here you go...

The OC Tour (I am giving the locations that I know about, that still exist, and are also a fun day in general regardless of being a fan of the shows, but it makes it way more fun, if you take pictures, and then can re-watch the shows afterwards on DVD or whatever)

The OC Tour

This is presented in a general south to north plan, going from either San Pedro or Long Beach cruise locations, and moving toward LAX area…

You can generally stick to Pacific Coast Highway and Sepulveda Boulevard to see all these on your way north. This will give you less traffic than the freeway, and also give you a great scenic drive through a lot of different beach towns and neighborhoods (you’ll see as the architecture and "feel" changes for each area that you pass through…)

Please check all the websites provided and mapblast (my preference) or mapquest from address to address…

Main Start:

The Redondo Beach Pier

800px-RedondoBeachPier01.jpg

www.redondopier.com

This is where a lot of the locations are in one compact area. It is a fishing and boating area, rather than a beachy and swimming area; but great to spend a few hours.

Here are some things at the pier, besides a lot of locations and sculptures that are used in the opening and throughout the seasons. Once you are here, you will see that it is the most used location for the show.

The Pier Diner

It’s actually just called The Coffee Shop. It’s a little yellow building on the corner. You see this all the time in the show where they have breakfast. Try and get the corner booth, as that is where they sit on the show a lot.

The Bait Shop

This is where the nightclub is located on the show. You will recognize the octagonal building on basically the opposite corner of the pier. It is currently closed and empty, but that is why they used it. Very recognizeable.

Sandy’s Beach Office

Is located just up at the top of the pier near the parking structure. It is one of the blue and white buildings. Just look for #111.

On the way for lunch or dinner:

If you want another little "side tour" or a place to eat…

This restaurant:

Harbor Drive (currently)

http://www.harbor-drive.com/

Is the restaurant used in many parts of the show as Sandy and Jimmy’s restaurant that they bought and renovated…

It’s not all exactly the same, but most of it is, and it’s a good restaurant to eat in general…

Secondary Main area:

The Strand at Hermosa Beach

800px-Hermosa_beach_pier_statue.jpg

http://www.hbchamber.net/Photos/the_beach.htm

http://www.seaspritemotel.com/

Lots of areas filmed here, including The Mermaid Restaurant and The Sea Sprite Motel, which was used for any scenes involving someone staying at a cheap motel (it is an inexpensive motel, but right on the beach, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a basic motel with a great location in Hermosa Beach)…

Also check out Pier Plaza (which is part of Pier Avenue) for locations and shops for general filming areas.

800px-Hermosa_beach_plaza_100.jpg

The Mall:

Most of the exteriors for any mall scenes were filmed here

http://www.shopmanhattanvillage.com/

Seth’s Boat Dock and Boat area:

http://www.visitthemarina.com/index.php/dining.html

The vast majority of boat dock and boat walking near the village scenes are here…

It’s a great way to end the day, and is a great beautiful place whether day or night.

Also side note:

Near this location is Chace Park,

http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/BandH/Marina/chacepark.htm

which is nicknamed "Chase Park", because every time there is a chase scene filmed for a TV show or movie, this is the place that they film it. There are so many different angles and view in this one little area, that it is continually used.

450px-MDR669.JPG

Other side note:

If you are a fan of the TV show Blind Date, a great restaurant in general, and the location for a lot of the dates is Shanghai Red’s.

http://www.shanghairedsrestaurant.com/ca/index.html

Side note:

If you are interested at all, at the start before getting to Redondo Beach you will pass

Torrance Highschool

800px-TorranceHighSchool_SeniorPatio.jpg

Going north on either Pacific Coast Highway or Sepulveda Blvd.

Turn right (east) on Arlington or Crenshaw

Between these two streets at 2200 W. Carson Street is this school which was the main location for:

Beverly Hills 90210 (West Beverly High), Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Sunnydale High), and the movie She’s All That…

Worth it if you’re a big fan, then it’s really cool, otherwise skip it…

Hope this helps, or gives people random ideas in general!

Please give any reports or pictures back if you do this...

CJW

PS All of this is dedicated to SandyToes...

Great stuff, Curt...as usual...

And one note: Anyone doing this tour, don't tell people you are actually going to the OC...most will be absolutely puzzled...

You see, "OC" means Orange County--where the show is alleged to take place...but these locations, where the show was actually shot, are NOT in Orange County at all!!

They are in the other direction (from the port, at least)...in an area of Los Angeles County known by locals as "the South Bay"...these are the Western facing beach cities on the southern portion of Santa Monica Bay...the area between LAX and the Palos Verdes Peninsula...

The area it's trying to emulate for TV purposes, the coastal portion of OC (Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach, Dana Point) is actually well further down the coast...

Did I lose anybody?

Great stuff, Curt...as usual...

And one note: Anyone doing this tour, don't tell people you are actually going to the OC...most will be absolutely puzzled...

You see, "OC" means Orange County--where the show is alleged to take place...but these locations, where the show was actually shot, are NOT in Orange County at all!!

They are in the other direction (from the port, at least)...in an area of Los Angeles County known by locals as "the South Bay"...these are the Western facing beach cities on the southern portion of Santa Monica Bay...the area between LAX and the Palos Verdes Peninsula...

The area it's trying to emulate for TV purposes, the coastal portion of OC (Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach, Dana Point) is actually well further down the coast...

Did I lose anybody?

Thanks for clarifying that. It would have taken us a while to figure it out. I think we will do this on the Saturday before, and then go down to the real Newport Beach area on Sunday before we get on the ship.

Viv

Yes, this tour serves a few purposes...

#1 If you are a fan of the TV show The OC, here is where you will see it all. Barely any of it was filmed in Orange County.

#2 It's just a good tour of LA/South Bay things in general that I specifically did in order from cruise ports to LAX (north of); or you could do it opposite from LAX (north of) then south to the cruise ports.

#3 It also could work the opposite way than BruinSteve said above, where you are giving or are responsible for a tour of The OC, and you go to Orange County and are continually asked by your guests "Why aren't we seeing any of the things or landmarks from the show?" (because in Orange County you won't see many - if any). That could be a disappointment for them in that way.

It all reminds me of one of the lines in Austin Powers...

"You know it's amazing how England doesn't look any bit at all like Southern California" (big wink to the camera);)

CJW

• 1 year later...

For anyone going on vacation with fans of the OC, I enthusiastically endorse this tour. My nieces were blown away by how many OC sites I managed to fit in. Breakfast at the Bait Shop was their favourite.

Viv

Archived