Labadee Zipline....

:confused: I am on RCI website right now booking our "leap of faith" zipline tour but then it got to the time preference and I FROZE!! It is available at 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm & 2pm and I don't know which time would be best. We have been to Labadee before and loved it, we want to snorkel and take in a little lunch and shop and try to find time to sway in a hammock AND crap our pants on the ZIPLINE!!! HELP me please, we have never done a zipline before so we are not sure what to expect. RCI's website has it listed as "strenuous" so I'm not sure if we should book early and get our adrenaline pumping for the day or if we should finish our day with a bang!!!??? :eek: Or do we snorkel and then zip a dee doo dah and then have lunch and beach our bottoms???? :p When RCI says "get out there" we take them seriously!!! :D

Where are you finding information re: ziplining in Labadee??? I have searched the RCI website and cant find it anywhere! We did it last year in Montego Bay (on Freedom) and it was a BLAST! I was the only one in out group of 10 who did NOT want to do it...I was terrified. Well, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Dont worry, you wont crap in your pants! :D

Is it a one-time ride? I looked at booking for our trip and I think it was 75 minutes? I assume that includes the ride up to the top and the zipline - is that it? It seems a little steep price-wise for the ride. Is this typical for a zipline? I thought at other ports there were a series of lines to do as part of the cost? Thanks

Is it a one-time ride? I looked at booking for our trip and I think it was 75 minutes? I assume that includes the ride up to the top and the zipline - is that it? It seems a little steep price-wise for the ride. Is this typical for a zipline? I thought at other ports there were a series of lines to do as part of the cost? Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. It's very pricey for just 1 line. In Costa Rica it was 12 or 13 lines for less cost.

you can check it out here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5NBYRY2L0hg

I'm cracking up laughing that the guy filming didn't even make it to the end of the line. He was too busy filming and yelling to hold the right position to be aerodynamic. I wondered why he was going so slow, and then he came to a complete stop far from the end. :rolleyes:

I was at Labadee a couple of weeks before the lines opened. While they certainly look impressive, I think the price they're charging for one ride is ridiculous. As somebody who has done a full canopy tour in Puerto Vallarta twice - a tour that takes a couple of hours and involves 14+ cables over and through a variety of scenery and terrain at different altitudes - for less than what Royal Caribbean is charging for a 2-minute quick trip down one line, I don't think I'll bother with this "excursion" the next time I'm at Labadee.

If it's the only zipline option you've got, then I guess it would be worth it. But a real canopy tour is a completely different experience.

Yes it is a 1 time ride and it is $65 per person. They have 5 lines side by side so I'm sure you could go at the same time as your hubby, friend whatever. Yes it includes the ride to the top of the zipline.

I'm cracking up laughing that the guy filming didn't even make it to the end of the line. He was too busy filming and yelling to hold the right position to be aerodynamic. I wondered why he was going so slow, and then he came to a complete stop far from the end. :rolleyes:

I was at Labadee a couple of weeks before the lines opened. While they certainly look impressive, I think the price they're charging for one ride is ridiculous. As somebody who has done a full canopy tour in Puerto Vallarta twice - a tour that takes a couple of hours and involves 14+ cables over and through a variety of scenery and terrain at different altitudes - for less than what Royal Caribbean is charging for a 2-minute quick trip down one line, I don't think I'll bother with this "excursion" the next time I'm at Labadee.

If it's the only zipline option you've got, then I guess it would be worth it. But a real canopy tour is a completely different experience.

I'm glad you brought that up. I watched the video too and was suddenly not very excited anymore about trying the line. I kept thinking that if that is as fast as it goes, I'm not interested. When I did the canopy tour in Jamaica, I flew through the trees and never had trouble getting to the end. I think you are right - he wasn't holding the correct position to go fast enough. What a beautiful view though!!

Thank you Gingras31 for linking the lipline video.

I have to agree with mattwright, after watching the video I am NOT as excited to do the zipline. $65 seems like a bit much for a about a 1 minute ride. On the video which is 2 min 24 seconds the guy filming is only actually moving for about 1 minute before he slows to a crawling stop. :( Then if you notice the guy next to him ziping down at a much faster pace and he actually made it to the end. I'm sure his ride was only 30-40 seconds at most. :rolleyes: I wish the zipline was cheeper OR you could do it more than one time. Oh well, as my very wise mother use to say....I guess I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled up faster!!! :p We did not book the tour yet and now we have more decisions to make than just the time.....but is it worth the cost??? :confused:

This is what RCI's website says about the tour:

Come test the tradewinds on Labadee's Dragon's Breath Flight Line. After a flight briefing and orientation, test your mettle on our shorter "Little Dragon" flight line. Then experience a short drive in our custom-made safari vehicles to the take-off point for the Dragon's Breath, 500 feet above the beaches of Labadee. At over 2,600 feet long, this is the longest flight line in the world over water. Enjoy breathtaking views, as you zip down the flight line at speeds of 40-50 mph. Your flight lands at Dragon's Breath Rock where your adventure began. The minimum height to participate is 60 inches (5 feet). Minimum weight 75 lbs, maximum weight 275 lbs.

Activity Type:

Adventure Tours | Beach & Water-Related Activities

Approximate Duration:

1 hour(s) 15 minute(s)

Arrive in Port/City:

28-Jan-2008, 08:00 AM

Depart from Port/City:

28-Jan-2008, 04:00 PM

Prices starting from:

*65.00 USD (Adult)

*65.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

Restrictions:

Minimum: 60 inches

Minimum: 75 lbs Maximum: 275 lbs

I was just looking at this trip myself and i was going to book it as a suprise for Hubs but i just dont think its worth the $$$.

Shame it would of been a lot of fun but Im sure I can get more bang for my bucks elsewhere.

Jenk

I had been very excited to try this new Zipline excursion until I saw the video on this thread. I agree with everyone who said this Zipline looks overpriced. I have done Zipline excursions at other ports and had a much more fun and exciting ride than this video shows.

OK - another thing we are thinking about.....

The tour is 1 hr 15 min right....How much driving / instructions / practice do we really need for a 40 second ride down a zipline??

That is a LOT of time out of our day for a less than 1 minute "thrill ride" :(

After our "zipline HIGH" that we were on last night we are both very sad and torn on what to do. I need someone who has done it to give me the "time of your life" speech. :o

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruin things for you.

NO, you didn't ruin it for us, I am glad you posted the link, you just gave us a reality check that's all. :) For me, I just had the zipline SO built up in my head that I was let down by the video. It just wasn't what I had expected, but then again maybe my expectations where too high.:o

You havent spoilt it at all, just made me look at it in more detail and realise thats its just not worth it.

Thanks

Jenk

You didn't ruin it for us. I'm glad you posted the video because now we all know what to expect. We've all been wondering because there haven't been a lot of people posting that had actually been on the line. I was a bit disappointed but I too had built it up so much that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype I had given it. At least my poor DH will get some peace from listening to me tell him how much I want to try the Labadee zipline! :o It opened a week and a half after we were there and I was very upset. I still may try it some day if I am ever lucky enough to get back to Labadee! :)

We were just there last week on the Freedom, a few in the group went early and a few tried to go around 2pm and couldn't get on, it was backed up and does take 60-75 mins.. The few that went said it was pretty cool but yes, a little pricey for what it is. We went to the second beach on the left and rented floating mats and snorkel equipment. Not a lot to see except in certain points is explodes is sea-life. Snorkel to the right of the 1st orange buoy, there is a reef there just full of fish, turtles, crabs, you name it, then go to the rockwall on the right, lots to see. Good luck with your decision, you'll love it no matter what you do.:)

First let me say, no I did not do this (I'm terrified of heights). But, yes hubby did do this. He LOVED it! We were there the very first day it opened. They were charging $59 for the first flight and then if you wanted a second pass it was another $20. I know by the time a few folks had gone down they were booked for the rest of the day.

You actually get a first flight on the 'Little Dragon' so they can show you the 'ropes' as it were. Then they ride you up the mountain out of the secure compound past the armed guards to the top and you go down the big ride. I understood the reason this didn't open sooner was cause the ride was going so fast. After hubby's group was done the head honchos seemed to have a meeting and I believe they still felt it was pretty fast. I have no idea if anything was changed though. I think they are giving the total time from time you show up, they step you through the hooking up the harnesses, going to the Little Dragon and going down it and then doing the big ride.

Also, fyi, if they do it now like they did it when we were there, they averaged about 2 to 3 people at a time going down the cables. But I suspect that was probably since everything was still so new for everyone (like the guys at the bottom who helped you out of the harnesses).

There is another thread a few pages down on this same subject with a few pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=557756

Erika

I guess it's all in how you look at this . I was just ziplining in March in St.Lucia and LOVED it . I was so glad that on our next cruise in Nov. that we'd be able to zipline in Labadee. When I saw the view that you get while on it, I thought it would be an experience like no other . The view is incredible and $65. sounded o.k. since we payed $92. in St .Lucia. {Plus, you can't put a price on a first time experience} Just booked for 10:00 am , Nov. 10/07! Can't wait!

p.s. thanks again for the video.:D

Archived