The San Pedro Filming Location Tour by CJW

Hey Everyone!

So, here is my "tour" of film and TV locations in San Pedro.

This is good for people who are staying in San Pedro pre or post cruise and want some interesting sightseeing in the area, and also maybe a little bit of "Hollywood" as it will accomplish both.

#1 It's definitely easiest if you have a car or rental car, otherwise it's pretty concise in what I've planned here, so you could get a taxi to the few focused areas.

Other than that, later I'll give you the bus info, as I noted that the same bus route went to all of these locations...

#2 You could do all of this in an hour (if you are really quick) or take half a day to really enjoy it all...

It's going to take a while to get all of the info in separate posts, so that I can include as many pictures as possible, so please bear with me...

Enjoy!

CJW

Hotels in the area...

So, first of all, there are only two that I have experience in, so I can only recommend those...

#1 San Pedro DoubleTree...

2870205040079337728LscoHx_th.jpg

I really prefer this hotel, if you want a park and sail package, or a little more quiet Marina view and location...

#2 San Pedro Crowne Plaza

2815349650079337728LUlvee_th.jpg

I like this one if you don't have a car, and want to be close and walking distance to some of the "Old Town" areas I'm going to mention...

So starting the tour next...

CJW

Vincent Thomas Bridge...

800px-Vincent_Thomas_Bridge.jpg

So, in general, you are going to be able to see this from pretty much wherever you are...

If you have a car you can drive across it, but the better pictures and views are from below...

This is seen and used in:

Charlie's Angels (films)

Gone in Sixty Seconds

To Live and Die in L.A.

Angel's Gate Park...

The entrance street area here is a major scene from the Academy Award winning film "Crash"...

Not giving any plot points away, for anyone who has not seen the film yet, but this is near the end in a major scene involving Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton (if you watch the film you will know)...

So, it's the entrance road to Angel's Gate Park...

At about South Gaffey Street and 37th Street...

2508485550079337728GUaEwV_th.jpg

2560535080079337728TITZdJ_th.jpg

2394567670079337728UTRTZT_th.jpg

2936079970079337728AoibOL_th.jpg

2321352780079337728aSAhTJ_th.jpg

CJW

PS Yes, I stood in the middle of the road to get these pics for you!

The Korean Friendship Bell in Angel's Gate Park...

800px-Koreanfriendshipbell.JPG

So, while you are at the entrance of Angel's Gate Park, go up and in...

There is the Korean Friendship Bell, one of the locations from one of my favorite films "The Usual Suspects".

This is where the crew meets with their "fence" in the middle of the film.

Not only that, but it just has great views all around...

2653903170079337728YRagJO_th.jpg

And look from there, is your next destination...

2351947780079337728XxBBPR_th.jpg

Port Fermin Lighthouse and Park...

So, now you are either driving or walking down the hill to Point Fermin Park...

Your first attraction to get to is the Point Fermin Lighthouse

Pointfermin.jpg

Last Victorian Lighthouse on the Pacific Coast...

If you are a "Grey's Anatomy"/Patrick Dempsey fan, then this is the location from one of his early films "In The Mood" as a 1940's location.

It's also a location for the film "Freeway" with Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland...

2227689430079337728TUQIVu_th.jpg

2986847070079337728IXaLSM_th.jpg

CJW

Moving on to "The Cliffs"...

So, "The Cliffs" around Point Fermin Park...

#1 I love this mural, I think it's a really cool background for a picture...

2856698310079337728CznFko_th.jpg

#2 Now "The Cliffs"...

First of all, do not go outside of the park walls or barriers!

Really dangerous!

But at the same time, it is very easy to get a lot of these locations and sites as a background right up against the walls, and picnic tables when you are there (when you are there, you'll know what I mean)...

So, if anyone is a fan of "The Big Lebowski" - which I am, right here is where there is a certain, uhmm, touching/funny/emotional scene near the end...

2383751690079337728FhoulA_th.jpg

(South side of the park)

#3 If anyone if a fan of "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson, then you have a lot of scenes here...

2017161840079337728CqMppm_th.jpg

2033363250079337728rCGQOp_th.jpg

2979895190079337728sfTTAX_th.jpg

All viewable, right from the edge of the park here...

Walker's Cafe...

Okay, so then if you want something to eat or snack on...

Or just want more film fun...

Walker's Cafe is right there, across from the park...

2295810680079337728IsYpmh_th.jpg

2156650710079337728npUirN_th.jpg

2664236030079337728XxgBkZ_th.jpg

2053435440079337728kktNYc_th.jpg

Tiny, tiny, tiny, and local, local, local cafe...

Good diner food, and also you might see some really true San Pedro locals here...

All, really nice, friendly, and definitely some characters of all ages...

It's also kind of a local home spot for bikers and old school car enthusiasts...

Don't let that keep you out though, they are really nice and fun, but might "tease" you a bit, in a good way!

So, this is the main location for the Academy Award nominated (several and winning) film "Gods and Monsters" with Brendan Fraser...

And also "Biker Boyz" with Laurence Fishburne and Kid Rock (it is a very friendly biker hangout)...

It's been in too many tv shows an films to even mention, even though most people don't realize it!

Moving on...

to Cabrillo Beach...

Here's a view from the park and cliffs down to the beach

2811140640079337728rEqBeh_th.jpg

That's where you are going next...

Either the bus, or drive down, and if you don't want to pay for beach parking

2388616560079337728GetMcY_th.jpg

Then park here on the corner of Stephen White Drive, up the hill

2850714860079337728TaTShN_th.jpg

So, your film location goal is to get to the Cabrillo Beach Bath House...

2083267810079337728ZPDLor_th.jpg

2509104500079337728yrjUYI_th.jpg

You will see it when you get down the hill...

Major scene in the Nicholas Cage/John Travolta film "Face/Off", as well as the Hawaiian clinic in the Adam Sandler/Drew Barrymore film "50 First Dates" in the scenes with Dan Aykroyd.

General Cabrillo Beach pics...

2986341720079337728DqqnSJ_th.jpg

Then around this walk near the beach, and cliff, you can get to some of the "Chinatown" views a bit better if you want...

2180156280079337728YwGfzM_th.jpg

You can see the walkway around the edge of the beach and cliff from there...

Also, PS, if you need a restroom/bathroom around here, use the Cabrillo Beach Bath House...

It's a county "park" area, so not the best, but generally clean and acceptable for a county public facility...

And your final cool area would be almost full circle back on "Old Town" San Pedro 6th Street...

Your main "goal" would be the Warner Grand Theater

2118787970079337728NecRno_th.jpg

2970511160079337728FvthLZ_th.jpg

2928000090079337728HFJYMC_th.jpg

The interior was used for the film "What's Love Got to Do with It" about Tina Turner, starring Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne...

Also, "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!", starring Kate Bosworth, Josh Duhamel, and Topher Grace...

Then the inside, and now the 6th street old town district up and down the street...

San Pedro Old Town 6th Street...

Seen in the film "Pearl Harbor" with Josh Hartnett and Kate Beckinsdale leaving the theater, and walk down the street to the diner...

2995087030079337728TpepBh_th.jpg

2184688040079337728TxzkRV_th.jpg

So there you go, full circle...

I'll add more info if I need to later, or if I find more...

But in the meantime, I hope this helps some people in the future; and please report back if it did!

Done for now!

CJW

Great Info thanks so much!!! I hope you don't mind me asking you for some more recommendation, I know you are usually very helpful in your posts.

We are sailing out of San Pedro on Aug 20th and will be driving in from LV on Aug 19th, spending the night at the Crowne Plaza. I have a 10 year old daughter and would like to take her into Hollywood during the day on Sunday.

We will leave LV early Sunday morning, to beat the heat and the traffic. Do you have any suggestion on where we should go in Hollywood. Any must see attractions for this age group (think Hillary Duff, Jamie Spears basically anything Disney.)

Thanks,

Great Info thanks so much!!! I hope you don't mind me asking you for some more recommendation, I know you are usually very helpful in your posts.

We are sailing out of San Pedro on Aug 20th and will be driving in from LV on Aug 19th, spending the night at the Crowne Plaza. I have a 10 year old daughter and would like to take her into Hollywood during the day on Sunday.

We will leave LV early Sunday morning, to beat the heat and the traffic. Do you have any suggestion on where we should go in Hollywood. Any must see attractions for this age group (think Hillary Duff, Jamie Spears basically anything Disney.)

Thanks,

Did a quick info thread here just for you...

click on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10465891#post10465891

Now back on topic for San Pedro!;)

CJW

• 2 months later...

So there you go, full circle...

I'll add more info if I need to later, or if I find more...

But in the meantime, I hope this helps some people in the future; and please report back if it did!

Good Job!!:)

That must have taken a lot of work to put that all together. :cool:

Many thanks for all your effort.

We're going on the Star in Oct. and it was real helpful to get a feel for the surroundings. We haven't decided if we'll stay in LAX the night before or San Pedro, but my thinking is if I can get a free shuttle to a hotel that is close to the port and then a taxi to the port on cruise day, that would be the way to go. I'm going to guess Long Beach might be the closest hotel with a free shuttle from LAX. Can you shed any light on that?

John

• 2 weeks later...

...adding info as I said I would...

Here are some pictures from an upcoming TV show "Journeyman" filmed right at the corner of 5th Street (Ports of Call/Downtown)...

It's a kind of cross between Quantum Leap and Early Edition...

This is a big car flip/train track scene...

I took these across the street in order to give the best perspective...

2069111560079337728pnFzwS_th.jpg

2545841530079337728qoCyfy_th.jpg

2666014200079337728inJtIt_th.jpg

Note the Vincent Thomas Bridge in the background, in order to give you perspective...

This is one block south and one block east of the Crowne Plaza...

CJW;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your photo tour!

Many of the places you have here brought back plenty of memories on my last visit to L.A. And all of those memories were good! :)

Lot's of familiar sights ... wow

If only you had a few shots of Santa Monica; namely, the pier ... and one of that towns most well unkown surprising treasures - Camera Obscura.

Please ... PLEASE say it's still standing!

It's one of Santa Monicas most elegant landmarks (in design, of course).

And a visit to that little concrete shack will make any holiday!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the information. I have a couple of questions.:D If we are staying at the CP in San Pedro, can we walk to any of these locations or could we take the hotel's free shuttle to Angel's Gate Park and walk from there? How far away is the Ports of Call? Can we walk from the hotel? Thanks once again.

Archived