Canada And New England For A First Timer...

josephml1

:rolleyes: HELLO EVERYONE I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT THIS PORTS OF CALL.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT WHAT IS THE BEST TO DO AND EAT IN EVERY PORTS

NEW YORK...................

HALIFAX CANADA.............

SAINT JOHN...................

BAR HARBOR MAINE...................

BOSTON.........................

NEW PORT RHODE ISLAND...........

THANK YOU ALL THIS HELP I MUCH APPRECIATED.

:cool:

I can answer for a few ports. I only have dining recommendations for Boston as we've visited there twice.

Halifax - Without a doubt, Peggy's Cove.

Bar Harbor - Acadia Nat'l Park

Boston - so much to do, so little time. Some options: take the tour on the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides), visit the North End (Paul Revere's House, Italian bakeries galore), visit Fanueil Hall & Quincy Market, just do the Freedom trail that encompasses all of the above. Dining: if Boston is a port day for you and you like seafood, Legal Seafood is a reliable option and quite good. They have multiple locations and a website. At Quincy Market, there is Kingfish Hall (a Todd English restaurant) which is quite good and Durgin Park which has good old American fare.

I can answer for a few ports. I only have dining recommendations for Boston as we've visited there twice.

Halifax - Without a doubt, Peggy's Cove.

Bar Harbor - Acadia Nat'l Park

Boston - so much to do, so little time. Some options: take the tour on the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides), visit the North End (Paul Revere's House, Italian bakeries galore), visit Fanueil Hall & Quincy Market, just do the Freedom trail that encompasses all of the above. Dining: if Boston is a port day for you and you like seafood, Legal Seafood is a reliable option and quite good. They have multiple locations and a website. At Quincy Market, there is Kingfish Hall (a Todd English restaurant) which is quite good and Durgin Park which has good old American fare.

Yummy thanks very much for the advice.

:) :) :) :)

Below is a post I made before my last Canada/New England cruise. I have now cruised there 4 times. In addition, I have also been on the Grandeur of the Seas. I have pictures - click my signature. There are also Canada/New England pictures from my October 14, 2006 cruise on the Star Princess.

I hope this helps:

I have actually done the Canada/NE cruise 3 times (Carnival Destiny 1998, Carnival Victory 2004, and Golden Princess 2005). All three cruises departed from Manhattan. As you know, our cruise is leaving from Brooklyn (Red Hook).

New York Pictures (2005) - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmd2

Halifax:

We did the Harbour Hopper Tour. This is more commonly known as a "Duck Boat". It is a vehicle that can travel on both land and water. We bought the tickets directly from the tour company. They have a ticket office on the waterfront pier (www.harbourhopper.com). We also went into the Maritime Museum on the waterfront. They have many Titanic relics, including a wooden deck chair.

Halifax Pictures (2004) - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmeY

Halifax Pictures (2005) - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmcQ

Saint John:

We took a horse drawn carriage tour (about 1 hour). We bought the tickets just off the pier. I do not have a web address for the tour operator.

Saint John Pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmcj

Bar Harbor:

Here we took a guided tour on Oli's Trolley (www.acadiaislandtours.com). It went through Acadia National Park. We bought the tickets directly from the tour operator. They have a ticket office in a building where the tenders drop you off.

Bar Harbor Pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmcy

Boston:

Last year, we did the Boston Duck Tour (www.bostonducktours.com). Again, we bought the tickets directly from the tour operator. Unfortunately, the weather was awful - HEAVY rain. We had to take a taxi from the pier to the Prudential Center downtown. After the tour, we walked around at the Quincy Market area.

The year before, I took a land/water sightseeing tour that I booked through the cruise ship.

Boston Pictures (2005) - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmeJ

Boston Pictures (2004) - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmdF

Newport:

Here we took a Grand Manisons tour through Viking Tours (www.vikingtoursnewport.com). Again, we bought tickets directly form the tour operator. They have a ticket counter in a visitor center building near the tender drop off point. The tour did a general loop around the areas and then let us off to tour a Mansion. We went to the Breakers (Vanderbilt). There are seveal other mansions you can tour.

Newport Pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AcNmTNo5csmdU

I hope this helps. I recommend all of these tours. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Below is a post I made before my last Canada/New England cruise. I recommend all of these tours. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Excelent review, and very good pictures...

Thank you very much. Is going to be my first time in Canada/new England hopefully more to come.

Thanks again and very good photos also.

I am looking foward to this journey.

From a girl from MA I'd say to pick the No Name Restaurant over Legal. Too touristy IMHO. Durgin Park is also a typical tourst spot as well. We have lot's of historical sites in our state as well as museums. For the baseball fan, a tour of Fenway park is a must! They do this when the Sox are on the road usually. Most of the tourists like to go to Cheers and have a lunch and take pictures. I have been there as well and it is fun. No Sam Malone though, lol. Todd English has a place at Park Plaza called Bonfire which is wonderful. For fine dining and a real Boston experience Locke Ober and Pigalle are fantastic but expensive. An old standby and one of my favs is Anthony's Pier 4. Take a cab to Cambridge and walk around Harvard Square. There are great shops, music and lots of fun places to eat at a reasonable price. My DS goes to grad school nearby and plans on staying in the city after graduation. Boston is not an inexpensive city but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If you need any more tips I am always checking in. As we say in MA have a wicked pissah time!

From a girl from MA I'd say to pick the No Name Restaurant over Legal. Too touristy IMHO. Durgin Park is also a typical tourst spot as well. We have lot's of historical sites in our state as well as museums. For the baseball fan, a tour of Fenway park is a must! They do this when the Sox are on the road usually. Most of the tourists like to go to Cheers and have a lunch and take pictures. I have been there as well and it is fun. No Sam Malone though, lol. Todd English has a place at Park Plaza called Bonfire which is wonderful. For fine dining and a real Boston experience Locke Ober and Pigalle are fantastic but expensive. An old standby and one of my favs is Anthony's Pier 4. Take a cab to Cambridge and walk around Harvard Square. There are great shops, music and lots of fun places to eat at a reasonable price. My DS goes to grad school nearby and plans on staying in the city after graduation. Boston is not an inexpensive city but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If you need any more tips I am always checking in. As we say in MA have a wicked pissah time!

Hi thank you for a nice review about boston...

One question how hard is to use public transportation subway or bus from the port of boston to the harvard square?

Thanks.

Check out the above map link I posted it is really a good one.

To the Pru you use the green Line Prudential stop

The MOS - Green Line Science Park stop

The Feeedom trail is 2 1/2 miles long so it depends where you want to start but the Park St stop on the Green Line and Red Line is a good place to start. (the 2 lines intersect so either is a choice)

i'm not familiar with Boston. what subway stop would be close to the port, prudential center, freedom trail, and the museum of science?

Check out the Boston by subway link here. I send this to friends coming into the city. It tells you which T stop to use for specific destinations. HTH:)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i6430-Boston_by_subway.html

Check out the above map link I posted it is really a good one.

To the Pru you use the green Line Prudential stop

The MOS - Green Line Science Park stop

The Feeedom trail is 2 1/2 miles long so it depends where you want to start but the Park St stop on the Green Line and Red Line is a good place to start. (the 2 lines intersect so either is a choice)

Check out the Boston by subway link here. I send this to friends coming into the city. It tells you which T stop to use for specific destinations. HTH:)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i6430-Boston_by_subway.html

Thank you tha is a very usefull link.

Thanks.

I have never gone to the port and used the T from there but I do know that it is the Boston Marine and Industrial Park area and it is the Silver Line on the T. I believe the terminal the cruise ships go to is the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Here's some port info

http://www.massport.com/ports/about.html

I remember meeting people there and seeing the signs for the T. Look on the map at far east and you'll see Logan Airport. Go south of that and you'll see the port.

I hope this helps. Living here all I ever do is pick up friends and family from the port or the airport. I have never cruised out of here. Hopefully one day there will be one I want to do from Boston. It'll save me the plane fare to Florida!

I have never gone to the port and used the T from there but I do know that it is the Boston Marine and Industrial Park area and it is the Silver Line on the T. I believe the terminal the cruise ships go to is the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Here's some port info

http://www.massport.com/ports/about.html

I remember meeting people there and seeing the signs for the T. Look on the map at far east and you'll see Logan Airport. Go south of that and you'll see the port.

I hope this helps. Living here all I ever do is pick up friends and family from the port or the airport. I have never cruised out of here. Hopefully one day there will be one I want to do from Boston. It'll save me the plane fare to Florida!

Thank you very much the information you give is very usefull.

Thank you in a near future if you need any advice of mexico, mexican riviera, or any port of mexico and mexican caribean let me know i can help you in that matter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived