July cruisers - should we nix Volcano National Park?

gloryb2god

I've been reading all the updates on the volcano but I must be dense - I don't know what it means for sightseeing. When we sail by will there be nothing to see? Will we cancel the sail by? What about visiting VNP? Do the recent changes in the Volcano (earthquakes, lava stoppage) even affect visiting VNP? Should I just plan a different itinerary around missing VNP? :confused:

I leave on 7/21 on POAm and I've been waiting to read all the member reviews of recent cruisers in the Member Review forum and there's only been a couple. :( Don't know if people aren't reporting or if the reviews go through a moderator first. Thanks for those of you who've been reviewing here!

Even before when lava was flowing above ground, (It still is below ground), the only way people saw the flowing lava was by helicoptor, the ship, or by taking a hike of many miles across the older lava. Most who visited VNP never saw the flowing lava.

Now would be an exciting time to visit as Madam Pele is going through a mood swing. There is still much to do and see. It seems to have changes occuring day to day. I wouldn't miss it. I've been there several times and have only seen lava flow from the ship twice, never at the park and never had the earthquakes and such going on.

I know most want to see lava flow but there is much more to an active vocano.

You don't see actual lava on the VNP tours unless you take a helicopter or one of the more expensive ones that go out to the lava fields. You do see dried lava from previous flows, steam vents, an old crater with steam (very interesting), visitors center and lava house. You also get to walk through an old lava tube. So even with all the changes, there should be no change in the VNP tour.

Recent reports from the Pride ships are that they are currently not even going to the south shore area for sailby since no lava is flowing into the ocean.

Retired is correct--VNP is absolutely fascinating with or without flowing lava, which is difficult to see at the best of times. On a trip to the park, you can:

--Hike through the caldera and/or drive around it to take in all the steam vents and other evidence of an active volcano.

--Hike a short trail, Devastation Trail, which shows the effects of lava on the landscape.

--Drive all or partway down Chain of Craters road to look at the layering of lava flows over the years, including those that have crossed the road necessitating a reroute.

--Walk through the Thurston Lava Tube, a pretty cool experience.

The park is big and you cannot do all of this in one day, so take a look at nps.gov/hnvp and pick your priorities.

I wouldn't miss this park. It's really special.

I would agree with the other posters especially if you have never seen VNP or another volcano crater whether active or dormant, it is an experience I would not want to miss. To drive around the caldera and view the many different eruptions over the years is amazing then continue down the Chain of Craters road to where the lava has covered the road with a six to 10 foot lava flow is unforgettable.

The lava we saw a couple of years ago was literally moving at the pace of a turtle but it was one of the neatest things I can remember of our trip to the Big Island, however I will say again don't let the lack of an active lava flow stop you from visiting this amazing place. Also don't forget to walk through the Thurston Lava Tube.

With or without the molten lava the VNP area is a don't miss for this port, in our opinion.

Add me to the list of those who feel you should not miss VNP, no matter what. If your only reason to go to VNP was to hike out to the flowing lava (and that's been quite a hike most of the time requiring significant planning and effort, and it's not for everyone), then you may be disappointed. However, I can't imagine only going to VNP for flowing lava. There is so much else there, and so much to see and do. It's absolutely fascinating. Everyone is quite correct that most visitors don't ever see the flowing lava, which is just a fraction of what VNP offers (and then only when Madam Pele is in the mood).

beachchick

We've been to VNP several times, both with and without flowing lava. Don't miss it. It's possible that by the time you get there, it could be running to the sea again, but if not, there's lots of other things to see and do.

I have to agree with everyone. VNP is great. We were there many years ago, but I still have fond memories -- I hadn't even wanted to go but loved it. We have nothing like it in MN. That's why we travel -- to see and do things we can't do at home. Go to the park and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Susan

Thank you so much everyone! We will continue with our original plans and do VNP. We leave Thursday morning for two nights before the cruise! I'm looking forward to giving my trip report when I return. :D

We just got back,and VNP was great! We were disappointed not to see the lava flowing from the ship,but that will be a good reason to go back! But,it was amazing to get to see the vents (dont stick your hand too close!) and to see the new cracks in the lava from the earth quakes.By all means,GO :) Dot

We took the Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour last week and we did see pools of molten lava in the Pu'u O'o crater. The only way you would ever see them is by helicopter. We later toured VNP by car and still had tons of interesting sights to see! It was disappointing that the night time sail-by was cancelled because there was no lava flowing into the ocean but that's all under Mother Nature's control.

By the way, I highly recommend this helicopter tour. I have been on two others and always got sick before. This flight was very smooth.

Margarita Mom

Archived