Pol Acker and the Winter Crossing Club

Kindlychap

Is there anyone on the Winter Crossing Club who actually likes Pol Acker?

I'm wondering if there is some way of getting these things drunk up without Kirsten and me having to be involved in the actual consumption.....

Perhaps this should be a feature of each cruise critic meeting. "the disposal of the Pol Acker".........

Matthew

Maybe everyone on the Cabin Cavalcade should bring their bottle with them and leave them all in the smallest cabin? After the cavalcade you all go back there and try to drink them?:eek:

Peter

I'm wondering if there is some way of getting these things drunk up without Kirsten and me having to be involved in the actual consumption.....

Perhaps this should be a feature of each cruise critic meeting. "the disposal of the Pol Acker".........

Matthew

I usually end up giving mine away although splitting it with my table gets rid of it easily.

I travel with what I would rather consume. I expect I will have something nice and Italian with me in September along with something Scottish.

Matthew

Since I've never had Pol Acker, my curiousity compells me to want to try some, in the same way that I will sniff something old the children have found in the refrigerator and they say, "Has this gone bad?".

:eek:

I had several bottles in my cabin waiting for me when I embarked on the world cruise. They went around the world with me and were consumed during the last leg transatlantic crossing.

What does that say?:rolleyes:

I actually like Pol Acker :eek: !! In fact once I had drank the two bottles in my room (yes they left a bottle for my 3 year old daughter!!) I actually BOUGHT another one. I worked out that I drank a whole bottle to myself one night before even going to dinner....:o

I cannot explain my bad taste, I am normally very fussy with wine. Maybe it is due to the fact that I still have a slight student mentality - if it's free, it's good! Mind you now that I am a lawyer I really should grow up!

Anyhow - I'll drink the unwanted, all of them!:D

P

x

I actually like Pol Acker :eek: !!

Okay, confession time Nia. Since we are on the same cruise next month - I actually drank mine too on last year's cruise. :eek: Although I did wash it down with a bottle of Dom Perignon a few days later - the bottle I did purchase as a gift for us on our trip. I think I have the same mentality - if its free then its there to be drunk (?). Gruel never tasted better. So let's collect the bottles from our other thread members and split it half and half between us. :D

David

As soon as I receive my cabin assignment for the world cruise I will post it and you all can leave your unwanted bottles in my cabin for my use during the world cruise. I'm not much of a champagne expert so it will do just fine during the 90 days. Maybe if we can get 90 people to leave a bottle each during the TA I will not need to purchase an apperitiff during the entire voyage.

I will admit that I have wandered the corridors with a couple of bottles before now! I got some strange looks, but that was perhaps because I couldn't carry three bottles, glasses and ice bucket on my own so had to enlist my daughter's help to carry one of the bottles. Maybe it was the three year old proudly hauling a bottle of 'wine' around the place that generated the slightly strange looks!! :o

N

x

I actually drank mine too on last year's cruise. :eek:

If (and it's a big if) there are four of you and you are feeling the need to be economic then one can just about manage a glass each. If there are two of you feeling the same then then you can still only manage a glass each - the rest has to go down the drain:eek:

Gruel never tasted better.

I thought you said you'd never tried grits? I suppose you're right - they are worse than PA but only just:D

Nia must be Counsel. I'd hope that drinking Pol Acker would be sufficient to be thrown out of the Law Society.

Smoothdancer - you are full of surprises! I'd not have thought you'd be prepared to drink the stuff.

I'll brief Counsel to get rid of our first bottle. If I can't get the second to you Smoothdancer, I'll brief counsel to get rid of that too.

If it is champagne, it'll stay with us.

As for adding orange juice Julia - why spoil good fruit juice?

Matthew

Sounds like a fine idea David!! :D Mind you we will have to find a dark corridor in which to do the collection - can you imagine the looks walking around the deck with multiple bottles of Pol Acker :eek: :eek: !!

Nia

I have a bucket you or David can wear on your head for a disguise whilst this is going on....;)

Winter crossing club?

A tradition started aboard QE2's January 2006 WB Transatlantic Crossing by Transat Jon, Stowaway2k, Brian Boru, Richard Schmidt, The Tandems, Sfo John, Guernseyguy, Juliecat, Skipperette & myself - among others....in pursuit of a northern track, high seas, Force 12 winds, martinis, champagne and the romance of a winter crossing !!!

Some dear friends who are also WCC members have the unique tradition of saving the Pol Acker from one voyage until the week prior to the next one, to toast the approaching re-embarkation. Accompanied by this kind of anticipation, I'm sure the wine is quite enjoyable.

What is Pol Acker?:confused:

Hooray:) We've found someone who hasn't tried it:D

It's a blended and carbonated white wine that Cunard use in place of Champagne.:( It is one of the most disgusting drinks they serve onboard.

Some dear friends who are also WCC members have the unique tradition of saving the Pol Acker from one voyage until the week prior to the next one, to toast the approaching re-embarkation. Accompanied by this kind of anticipation, I'm sure the wine is quite enjoyable.
That is a very nice idea, I like it.

Hooray:) We've found someone who hasn't tried it:D

It's a blended and carbonated white wine that Cunard use in place of Champagne.:( It is one of the most disgusting drinks they serve onboard.

Now, a little far. I have had some truly bad fizz and Pol A is no where near them. Yes a little bland, artificial and sharp, the "quality" microwave dinner of wines. (Though I don't own a microwave).

It is strange that Cunard are so stuck on it. There is some fantastic cava out there that would be similar cost to them and would be so much more appreciated by us all.

Another question for Carol Marlow; should we challenge her to finish a bottle before she gets the onslaught about single cabin policy?

Archived