LAX shuttle services & Hotels with FREE Shuttle service: Suggestions NEEDED!

monakayk

We are cruising out of LA in Oct. on the Golden Princess. I was wondering what shuttle services others have used from LAX airport to the port.

Also, if there were any good suggestions for hotels that provided FREE shuttles from LAX airport to their hotel and possibly to the port.

Thanks in advance!

Most LAX hotels will shuttle you to and from the airport, but I know of none that will shuttle you to the port.

The hotels in the San Pedro port area also provide shuttles to the port, but not to the airport.

So, you can either use a paid shuttle service to go from your LAX hotel to the port or take a paid shuttle (or cab) to your San Pedro hotel and then get shuttled from the port there.

We always use http://www.supershuttle.com but there are others.

And then secondly...

Just the way LA and the ports are set up, you will only get a FREE shuttle to and from an LAX hotel from LAX.

OR, a FREE shuttle to and from a San Pedro hotel to the port.

No hotel (so far) offers both...

So, really my questions to you at this point are...

Are you just looking for a hotel to spend the night in before/after the cruise near the port where you can get to and from?

Are you spending a bit more time, where you'd like some sightseeing ability before or after?

What is your time frame, and what are you looking to do?

I can give you A LOT of specific ideas if I know more specifics on your time frame and plans for the area...

I hope that this helps...

CJW

Hi,

Princess package @ Lax Marriott is $69+Tx pp ($39+Tx 3rd/4th in room). Incl transp to hotel & bus svc nxt day to pier. We arrive @ 10a (7 of us) day b4 cruise. Total cost about $416.

We considered bid on Priceline for Crown Plaza or Double Tree. Estm cost for 2 rooms apprx $85+tx ea. Private shuttle abt $90 fr Lax to hotel. Then free shuttle to pier. Total estm $300.

Not sure if Princess pkg is much smoother transaction. Not sure how crowded hotel shuttle would be to get all 7 of us to the pier. Is there more to do @ the San Pedro hotels than what offered at airport hotel?

---Also, return from port to LAX, Princess is $25 pp transf (7=$175), private shuttle quote is less than $100. Our flight is @ 1p out of LAX, we hope to be off the ship between 9-9:45 (we can't do self disembark,luggage is to bulky) How easy is it to determine time for private shuttle & how do you identify your shuttle with all the other cabs & shuttles?

If anyone has used either scenerio, please comment on my ideas....thx

And then secondly...

Just the way LA and the ports are set up, you will only get a FREE shuttle to and from an LAX hotel from LAX.

OR, a FREE shuttle to and from a San Pedro hotel to the port.

No hotel (so far) offers both...

So, really my questions to you at this point are...

Are you just looking for a hotel to spend the night in before/after the cruise near the port where you can get to and from?

Are you spending a bit more time, where you'd like some sightseeing ability before or after?

What is your time frame, and what are you looking to do?

I can give you A LOT of specific ideas if I know more specifics on your time frame and plans for the area...

I hope that this helps...

CJW

CJW,

Thanks for that thread link.

We are needing a hotel (preferably near the port) for one night before our cruise that would provide EITHER a FREE shuttle to the hotel from LAX or to the port. We would like a moderately priced (around $100 or LESS a night) place to stay. It would be nice if the hotel had a pool to enjoy. Hopefully located near restaurants that we could walk to safely.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Hi,

Princess package @ Lax Marriott is $69+Tx pp ($39+Tx 3rd/4th in room). Incl transp to hotel & bus svc nxt day to pier. We arrive @ 10a (7 of us) day b4 cruise. Total cost about $416.

We considered bid on Priceline for Crown Plaza or Double Tree. Estm cost for 2 rooms apprx $85+tx ea. Private shuttle abt $90 fr Lax to hotel. Then free shuttle to pier. Total estm $300.

Not sure if Princess pkg is much smoother transaction. Not sure how crowded hotel shuttle would be to get all 7 of us to the pier. Is there more to do @ the San Pedro hotels than what offered at airport hotel?

---Also, return from port to LAX, Princess is $25 pp transf (7=$175), private shuttle quote is less than $100. Our flight is @ 1p out of LAX, we hope to be off the ship between 9-9:45 (we can't do self disembark,luggage is to bulky) How easy is it to determine time for private shuttle & how do you identify your shuttle with all the other cabs & shuttles?

If anyone has used either scenerio, please comment on my ideas....thx

Quick reply here, but may need more info from you...

Very important to realize (according to what I think from reading your post, but feel free to add more info or correct me here - because you are going to be there from 10 AM until the next morning, so will want to have SOMETHING to do and see)...

At pretty much ANY LAX hotel - especially LAX Marriott for example - there is NOTHING at all right around the hotels without a car!:eek:

So, you just stick around your hotel specifically, OR, you need to factor in cab costs to get anywhere worth seeing.

(There is ONE hotel that I'm going to have to do a whole report on - The Hacienda Hotel - which offers free shuttles to and from LAX very conveniently, and also shuttles a few times a day to and from Manhattan Village, but it is OLD - been refurbished - but I would only stay in one of the rooms by the pool, or by the main building courtyard balconies)...

I'm not recommending this specifically to anyone until I do a full report with pictures so that people can manage their expectations...

Both Doubletree and Crown Plaza in San Pedro will offer good shuttles with no problem to the port in the morning.

I personally prefer Doubletree as a "hotel", and "slight" edge to Crown Plaza for more of the downtown areas in closer walking distance...

So check the links I'll provide below to things to do and see without a car in San Pedro if that helps...

CJW

CJW,

Thanks for that thread link.

We are needing a hotel (preferably near the port) for one night before our cruise that would provide EITHER a FREE shuttle to the hotel from LAX or to the port. We would like a moderately priced (around $100 or LESS a night) place to stay. It would be nice if the hotel had a pool to enjoy. Hopefully located near restaurants that we could walk to safely.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Hey Mona K!

Okay now, I think this is fairly easy for you!

Based of what you've said, I personally would either book the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro!

Both good hotels for different reasons with free shuttles to the port.

(for you, I wouldn't stay at LAX for any kind of free shuttle, not worth it)...

I prefer Doubletree as a hotel, and staff, and grounds...

(It's closer to the beach and walking grounds), and has a good/decent restaurant)...

Crowne Plaza, I personally don't prefer the actual "hotel" as much, but still very decent, and then "technically" closer to walking to the waterfront restaurants, and the currently being "gentrified" 6th street.

I think that you'd be pleased with either one...

(Currently unless things change, if I didn't have a car, and I wanted to stay somewhere before a cruise, I'd take a shuttle to the San Pedro hotels - only the two I've mentioned - and use their free shuttle for the port. I wouldn't use a "free" shuttle to get to one of the LAX hotels, because firstly, there's not really anything to do there at those hotels - unless you are going to add money for a lot of taxies to get anywhere good - and honestly, a long walk, but a do-able walk none the less, you COULD walk to a few of the hotels - done it several times, shut up you other LA locals!)

Now check my San Pedro post/tour/info in the next post...

CJW

;)

CJW San Pedro Sights:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567043

Click the link above!

Now I think it's a lot more fun if you are a "fan of" or your group has watched beforehand the movie/film locations I'm showing above...

Great sights none the less near both of the hotels...

Crowne Plaza is nearer the 6th street and "downtown" locations...

Doubletree is nearer the beaches and cliffs locations...

Just saying...

I hope that this helps in some way...

CJW

CJW,

Thanks for all this info and recommendations on hotels and the movie sites. Sure wish now we would be able to stay longer in that area, just to visit these great places where some movies were filmed. Maybe next time.

As for the Doubletree, you mentioned you preferred it because of the "grounds". Can you elaborate on that?

As for the Crowne, are the rooms just as nice as the Doubletree or not? How is the pool area. We will most certainly want to take a dip and enjoy the pool area at whatever hotel we stay at.

Do you remember some of the restaurants within walking distance of the Crown?

Are there restaurants within walking distance from the Doubletree? What kind...seafood I hope!

Thanks again for all your help!

Monakayk-

We wrestled with the same problem. We fly into LAX next Wednesday and the ship leaves Thursday afternoon. Wanted to at least see something of LA while we are there (wife's first time) but could not find a tour and transportation to San Pedro that fit our schedule. So we compromised.

I booked a hotel with free shuttle from LAX (Comfort Inn, Lawndale for $119) with an Enterprise car leasing office close by. Plan is to bum a ride there from the hotel (or see if they really will pick us up) and get a car. According to other posts, Enterprise has the closest rental car office to the harbor and has free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Then, depending on how early we get started Thursday morning, we could go north to Hollywood but at least we can use some of CJW's suggestions on our drive to San Pedro. And travel at our own pace.

the day before we leave on the Vision of the Seas, Nov. 4. Had already booked the Residence Inn - Marriott in Long Beach (Willow St.) before I started reading all these suggestions. We don't get there till fairly late in the afternoon, so something to do isn't really an issue. We'll be hapy with a good dinner!

I would appreciate any suggestions on transportation to the pier. Hotel has a free airport shuttle. Should we return to the airport Sunday morning and go from there? Or would it be better to go directly from the hotel to the pier? So many questions!

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has to offer!

Your hotel almost certainly only has a shuttle to the Long Beach airport - not to LAX. I beleive that your hotel is in downtown Long Beach. Note from the map how far the airport is from the port.

So it wouldn't make sense to go all the way back to the airport and then go to the port. Just catch a cab or a shuttle from the hotel to the port.

longbeach_map_large.jpg.25cf171081d68d2055f9ef59bb18e4dc.jpg

We booked our hotel through a certain well-known travel website. At one point in the choosing process, we were asked if we wanted to search by amenities (free airport shuttle, pool, restaurant on the premises, etc). This narrowed down the search considerably, and we were able to get a good deal on a nice room with the free shuttle. It was easy too.

We booked our hotel through a certain well-known travel website. At one point in the choosing process, we were asked if we wanted to search by amenities (free airport shuttle, pool, restaurant on the premises, etc). This narrowed down the search considerably, and we were able to get a good deal on a nice room with the free shuttle. It was easy too.

Perhaps you could clarify your plans that you posted about cause your post doesn't make sense.

Are you flying into Long Beach and catching a hotel shuttle to a long Beach/ San Pedro hotel ? It is my understanding that the Long Beach/ San Pedro shuttles will not pick you up at LAX.

Are you flying into LAX and staying at an LAX hotel ? If you are their shuttle almost certainly will not take you to the Port.

The port is 20 miles from LAX.

Archived