Disembarking from Pride of America in Honolulu

steins

how long does it usually take to disembark from pride of america, is it possible to make an international flight at 10:35?

thanks

(I tried to do a search for this but the server kept timing out)

IMO, That sounds too early, especially for an international flight. I just remember that once we got off the ship, traffic was all bottlenecked trying to get out of the port area.

I don't think I'd try.

While I don't have any experience with the NCLA ships in how long it takes to disembark (no worry about Customs), and the fact that you have a Saturday arrival (traffic is pretty good that time of day to the airport), just the amount of time it would take, even if you drag your luggage yourself, coupled with the recommended time for check-in before an international flight makes this a risky endeavor.

(How's that for a long sentence?)

If someone who has experience with disembarking the NCLA ships could weigh in here, that might help.

Pete

The general rule of thumb is to have no less than 4 hours between when the ship is scheduled to dock and when your flight is scheduled to take off.

The Pride of Hawaii is scheduled to arrive at 7 am, so you shouldn't select a flight that takes off before 11 am.

We disembarked PoH in June. Your departure time is prearranged by deck unless you are in a suite where you have VIP disembarkation at any time (although I think there were dispensations for people with early flights but I am not sure). But NCL doesn't recommend booking anything earlier than noon. We had the VIP pass, went downstairs about 8 or 830 and found that our luggage hadn't made it down to the VIP area as it was supposed to. Since we did not have really early reservations, we did not panic and actually left the terminal around 9. The airport is not far but there is a lot of checkin procedures because you go through this agricultural inspection before the main security check-in so you need to leave time for that. In the end we were able to get Aloha Airlines (we were just going to Kauai) to put us on at 10:30 flight instead of the 11:55 flight that we were booked on but I wouldn't want to have to count on it.

• 9 years later...
how long does it usually take to disembark from pride of america, is it possible to make an international flight at 10:35?

thanks

(I tried to do a search for this but the server kept timing out)

It's about a 15 minute drive to the airport with no traffic, so let's double that time so you have time to get a taxi, load your luggage, make the drive, unload your luggage and then pay the driver. That backs you up to 10:05.

If you want your luggage to go along with you it would be best if you got there a minimum of one hour prior to your flight. Hopefully, the line to check your bags won't take longer than 15 minutes because now you're backed up to 8:50 AM.

So...With no margin of error for Murphy's Law to happen, no traffic slow downs on Ala Moana Blvd, no long lines at the taxi stand or luggage check-in at the airport, you need to be off the ship absolutely no later than 8:50 AM.

That begs the question...How much will it cost you if you miss your flight? Will there be enough empty seats on later flights to get you out the same day? If not, then you would need a hotel room.

What a frantic and stressful way to end a nice vacation.

Since Pride of America is not involved in any foreign travel what takes so long to get off the ship? Princess gets you off in a couple of hours with customs involved!

Just4funn you turkey!

I can't believe you dug up a thread from 2007 and sucked me into replying today!

I wonder what this guy did...NINE YEARS AGO A FULL TWO YEARS BEFORE I SAILED ON THE POA!

Just4funn you turkey!

I can't believe you dug up a thread from 2007 and sucked me into replying today!

I wonder what this guy did...NINE YEARS AGO A FULL TWO YEARS BEFORE I SAILED ON THE POA!

Yeah, I wonder if that guy ever made his international flight. The search function is great, but be aware that some info is old and outdated. Things do change! For example, departure times are no longer prearranged by deck on any NCL ship. Each cruiser chooses their own departure time and selects colored luggage tags which correspond to the time chosen. The earliest departure time is for Easy Walk Offs, and you simply carry your own luggage off the ship. Easy Walk Off usually starts as soon as the ship is cleared, around 7:30 am I believe. You can therefore choose a time which meshes with your own travel plans. Two POA cruises, 2014 and 2016, and never had a problem exiting the ship. And service was great with that mostly American crew!

Edited by punkincc