OMG Upgrade to Courtyard Villa on Pearl one-nighter

The Nice Family

We have just returned from our one-night Seattle to Vancouver Pearl cruise where we were given the VIP treatment! We've never had anything but obstructed ocean view cabins (3 NCL cruises) and splurged on a mini-suite for this one-nighter. On arrival at check in we were told that we'd been upgraded! A higher deck? Better location? I was excited. Little did we know that we were in for the thrill of a lifetime. We were led to the VIP lounge and from there to our courtyard villa. This is something everyone should get to experience at least once in a lifetime. We are so grateful and appreciative and it was something we will remember all of our lives. Unbelievable. We will happily go back to "ordinary" cabins after this but, the memories will be cherished. I wish you all the same treatment.

An upgrade to the villa?!? Wow, Wow, WOW!!! You were more likely to be struck by lightning!!! How awesome. Thanks for sharing!!!

Yes, an UPGRADE!!! We figure it was traveller's karma. In order to economize we spent the night before the cruise in a Hostel in Seattle. Our room was right above the "Smoking Room" (read Party Central) where the lively hostellers talked the night away, until 6:00 a.m.:mad: ! We arrived at the cruise terminal cranky and sleepy but, soon perked up when we were led to the VIP Lounge. Talk about a wild swing - Saturday, Sleepless in Seattle; Sunday, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Thank you to the upgrade fairies out there.:)

Congrats!!!! That really is Karma so glad to hear you had a great time hope you took lots of pictures:) I would have stayed in that suite every minute of the 1 nighter:D

We did our best to do the Suite justice. We were on board at noon and after spending the first 15 minute or so in uncontrollable laughter (shock/excitement/pleasure) we poured ourselves a crystal glass full of the provided champagne and settled into the private Courtyard to watch our 9 year-old daughter frolic in the lap pool. About a hundred photos later we left our lap of luxury to take DD to the rock wall, and me to a half-our session at the Spa. Off to the Kids Club for DD at 5:00 then back to the Suite for us! Other than a splurgey dinner at Cagney's that was it. We've never had another 20 hours like it!

Yes you are lucky and it's a great scene - got a chance to get a sneak preview of the courtyards when some friends of mine who were in one of the owner's suites invited me and another couple up for the view and a chance to sample the champagne - I would post a picture of the area but my file size is too big to attach and i haven't created an on-line album yet.

Cheers

Dennis

What a thrill for all of you ! This is when you really appreciate something even more , when it's least expected.

Your excitement is still there through cruise critic so thanks for sharing your great memory, maybe lightning will strike twice - never know.

We're going on the crown in a few more weeks and I'm patiently waiting to see if we'll get an upsell call/email or something since the ship isn't full. My fingers are crossed.

Yes, an UPGRADE!!! We figure it was traveller's karma. In order to economize we spent the night before the cruise in a Hostel in Seattle. Our room was right above the "Smoking Room" (read Party Central) where the lively hostellers talked the night away, until 6:00 a.m.:mad: ! We arrived at the cruise terminal cranky and sleepy but, soon perked up when we were led to the VIP Lounge. Talk about a wild swing - Saturday, Sleepless in Seattle; Sunday, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Thank you to the upgrade fairies out there.:)

That is SO amazing. I am glad it happened to someone "normal" who stayed in a hostel the night before. We can all dream!

Viv

That is SO amazing. I am glad it happened to someone "normal" who stayed in a hostel the night before. We can all dream!

Viv

I hope the fairies work overtime for all you "normal" travellers out there. As I said, our wish for everyone who would never even imagine experiencing this type of cabin (we never did) is that they get the same treatment some day. Keep dreaming, they DO come true!

I hope the fairies work overtime for all you "normal" travellers out there. As I said, our wish for everyone who would never even imagine experiencing this type of cabin (we never did) is that they get the same treatment some day. Keep dreaming, they DO come true!

Congrats!

Was it your first time on NCL? It really is the luck of the draw! I have only been upselled once and never upgraded with a price. I am still waiting for that cruise!

Wow ... what a great surprise :) Just out of curiosity ... did you book a guarantee and then assigned a mini-suite and then get upgraded at the pier ... or did you pick your own assigned mini-suite cabin and then received the upgrade at the pier? Just wanted to make sure I did things "right" to get on the "fairy list" ;)

I wish I could tell you how the fairies decide but, I really have no idea. In answer to a couple of the questions here - this was our fourth cruise, all NCL and we have never booked a guarantee, always chosen our cabin (we book way in advance). We had no inkling that we were going to be upgraded until we arrived at the check-in desk and handed over our passports and registration forms.

I am sure that there are many that have cruised more than us and perhaps more than a few who were more deserving than us so, who knows? Is it that we book early? Is it that we don't book guarantee? Is it because we never, in our wildest imaginings, pictured ourselves in a Courtyard Villa? Is it that the moon was in the seventh sky and Jupiter aligned with Mars? I wish I could give you the Recipe but all I can say is, be happy with whatever cabin you have (we always have been, and will continue to be in our future bookings) and anything else is a true bonus.

Maybe it just was the fact that when you showed up to check in, you looked like a nice family... :D

I guess I'd better explain otherwise everyone will think we're just vain. Our actual last name is Nice. It is pronounced like Nice, France. Trust me, it's a really difficult name to live up to sometimes:p .

WOW (I just saw this thread because Suesan Jean moved it up-thanks)

All I can think is that is if this had ever happened to me, instead of laughing for 15 minutes as you did, I'd probably break down in tears of pure joy!

Good for you guys (and btw-you do sound like a really nice family!)

-Monte

About a hundred photos later we left our lap of luxury to take DD to the rock wall, and me to a half-our session at the Spa. Off to the Kids Club for DD at 5:00 then back to the Suite for us! Other than a splurgey dinner at Cagney's that was it. We've never had another 20 hours like it!

Oh come on, you gotta post the photos on line so we can all see :D

That is SO COOL!! We took an upsell to the Deluxe Owner's Suite (just downstairs from you) on that cruise, and we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. But the Villa! We got to tour the other one, which we were told had not been booked, when we were taken to our suite, and it was just beautiful. Did you play the piano?

I'm so glad to hear that NCL does this every so often. I had a TA once (very fond of Princess) really put NCL down for offering upsells rather than upgrades. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you guys!

Archived