Zuiderdam Hydro Pool

lindsaymarie

We will be boarding the Zuiderdam one-week from today and are considering buying the package. It appears to include access to the hydro-pool and access to the heated tile loungers. Is anything else included? Does it get crowded? We would be disappointed if we paid $250 just to find we can’t get access due to overcrowding.

We will be boarding the Zuiderdam one-week from today and are considering buying the package. It appears to include access to the hydro-pool and access to the heated tile loungers. Is anything else included? Does it get crowded? We would be disappointed if we paid $250 just to find we can’t get access due to overcrowding.

It shouldn't be crowded - HAL usually limits the number of passes they have available to prevent such a situation. The price just includes use of the Thermal Suite and Hydro pool for a week; nothing else.

You used to be able to get a week pass for one or the other; don't know if that's no longer the case. We bought the week pass for both on the Zuiderdam last year, and while we loved the hydro pool, we didn't really make much use of the Thermal Suite. Still, it's something I'd spend money on because it was so relaxing to have the Hydro Pool for a week!

Why would anyone pay a large amount for a hydro pool when there are whirlpools all over the ship? And what's the deal with the thermal suite? How's that different from a sauna or steam room? Does HAL not have free steam rooms and saunas anymore?

I'm not trying to be sassy, I just don't understand about this spa stuff that seems to be a replication of what we used to get for free.

I'm not familiar with either the hydro pool or thermal suite, so maybe there's more to them than I'm aware of??:confused:

I am also interested in the prices for the hydropool/thermal beds. I am traveling with 2 other couples and we are celebrating one of the girls birthdays by have massages and to spend the day at the spa(hydopool/thermal beds). Does anyone know the cost of the use of this area just for the day to go along with our treatments as a special "girls day at the spa"???

We cruise a lot and have been to many of the ports already. I guess its all in what you want. Rather than spend a lot of money on excursions that I have already been on, We just want to relax and it sounds like something that the doctor ordered! I thank you all for your input and the price seems very reasonable. Think of it this way, if its want you want, its pretty reasonable for a week long excursion.

A daily pass for the thermal suite/hydro pool is $40 per person.

My understanding is that there is still a very small free sauna on the Vista ships (Zuiderdam is one of the Vista class vessels). I don't know where it's located.

The thermal suite/hydropool package includes the heated ceramic tile loungers, a dry sauna, two wet saunas, aromatherapy misting showers, the hydropool (which has lounge chairs, iced water and fresh fruit available for your refreshment), and bathrobes, towels, slippers, and toiletries for your use in the change room/shower room. There are also extra towels in both the thermal suite and hydropool areas. The thermal suite has large floor to ceiling windows so that you can admire the view while reclining on the loungers. There are also ornamental water fountains producing soothing water sounds, and what I call "new age" music piped in for your relaxation.

It sounds very nice. Much like a weekend at the Ritz Carlton where I spent way more time in the spa than I ever imagined. From the hot tub to the shower to the ice water and fruit, to the gym, back to the hot tub, back to the shower, back to the fruit, and so on...I never expected to enjoy these amenities so much, but it was really nice. However, with so many island days, I wonder if I will find the time to justify the $250. Does anyone know the hours of operation?

Thank you, middle-aged mom,

That is exactly the information that I was looking for. I appreciate the posting.

Pam:)

You are welcome, Pam:) . Enjoy your "girls' day at the spa". You'll have a very relaxing time.

(I also want to add for others here that perhaps all the HAL ships still have that free sauna, but I just don't know about it, because it seems to be a well-kept secret.:) I know poster Rusta-Roo has mentioned the free saunas here before).

Karin

It sounds very nice. Much like a weekend at the Ritz Carlton where I spent way more time in the spa than I ever imagined. From the hot tub to the shower to the ice water and fruit, to the gym, back to the hot tub, back to the shower, back to the fruit, and so on...I never expected to enjoy these amenities so much, but it was really nice. However, with so many island days, I wonder if I will find the time to justify the $250. Does anyone know the hours of operation?

The Greenhouse Spa is open from 8 am to 10 pm (or at least, those were the hours on my Noordam cruise), but as I recall, the hours of operation for the Thermal Suite are a little less than that. Check with the spa staff when you board:) .

If you don't want to spend the $250, you can always try a day pass.:)

If you book spa services, massage, etc....Does that give you access to the Thermal areas as well??

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. The Thermal Suite/Hydropool pass is a separate purchase. But you do have access to a very nice shower/change room, with toiletries, towels, bathrobes, and everything you need to "complete your toilette".

Karin

Well, don't take anything as gospel, because every trip we have been on, the charges for the Thermal Suite and hydropool have been different. Most recently, I do remember the $250 per couple for the week for both. AIRC the way it worked out was:

Thermal Suite $100 per person or $150 per couple.

Hydropool $100 per person or $150 per couple.

Both $250 per couple.

But I think they are trying to figure out what the traffic will bear ... so it might change! It is never crowded -- I remember six people in the thermal suite once, and maybe three plus the two of us in the hydropool.

There is indeed a free sauna -- one for each sex. And there are hot tubs around the ship, but they don't really compare with the hydropool!

Check out our pictures at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/thermal.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

The Hydro pool and the Thermal Spa is 150.00 per person and an additional 100.00 for a spouse for the week. The GreenHouse staff don't really want to divulge the ala carte prices for individual days of use which is 40.00 per day per person. The better deal for a 7 day cruise with only two sea days would be the day pass to the spa. Because the other days you are running around from shore excursions, shopping, dinner, etc. Be mindful though that the Greenhouse staff work on commission and on Friday when I got to the reception desk, the lady was perterbed that I wanted to purchase another day pass after I had already purchased one on Sunday. She said something to the effect of I will have to charge you for the entire week since we don't really have pay per use passes and she was getting rude the manager cleared it up right away.

Just returned from the 10/20 sailing on the Z. You can purchase a week pass for either the Hydro Pool or Thermal Suite for $89. per person. We opted to get the special couple price for the week @ $250. which covers both :) areas. We never felt like it was over crowded and at times we had the place to ourselves. We felt like this was money well spent.

Enjoy

This topic was of great interest to me before I sailed and now I can speak about it in glowing terms. I was on the Westerdam last week and made my purchase of a hydrotherapy pool and thermal pool pass for the week for 1 person for $139 immediately following boarding and lunch at the Lido. This may have been the best investment I made as it got used every day at least once. Something incredible about slipping into the large warm water pool with lots and lots of bubbles and sliding back onto the lounger inside the pool to relax. The bubbles last for 10 minutes and then you have to hit the button for another 10 minutes but that's not that great an effort LOL. It was never crowded, at most we had 4 people in an area about 4 times the size of one of the ship's whirlpools. The area is glass enclosed but shades are drawn after the first day so there is no visual access by the general lido area. Fresh fruit, iced water and a chilled fruit type punch is always available in the hydropool location. There are lounge chairs and regular seating chairs for your use if you want to sit and read or just listen to the bubbles before or after you get in. From the hydropool I would go to the Thermal Suite to lounge on the heated ceramic loungers. The floor to ceiling windows overlooking the ocean are lovely but my view seemed to be impeded by the power the lounger had to make my eyes drift closed.;) I was usually by myself in the suite but it had one or two others sometimes, all of us with the same napping state. The lounger warmed me to my bones and was the site of my best naps ever. For me, the luxury of this area was WELL WORTH the money spent. But each person needs to make that decision for themselves.

• 1 month later...

Let's just say , I agree wholeheartedly agree with Solo Cruizer and the description given. We were just on the Westerdam last week and booked the combo(pool/suite) for a day to add to the experience of a massage that I had pre-ordered. It was $40 for a day. We did not want to do the week pass since we had pre-arranged shore excursions at all the ports. We arranged this on a sea day. You cannot order or schedule the hydropool/thermal suite online. The Spa really pushes for you to buy the week pass-$150 for one for a 7 day cruise plus $100 for your spouse/2nd person. They wouldn't let us schedule a day pass until the morning that we wanted to go to make sure there was "room". They do limit the amount of passes they sell.

It is an awesome experience and well worth the money... Just head to the spa once you get onboard and set up spa appts or hydopool passes if for the week. If just for the day, go early the day you want to go and try to buy the day pass for $40.

Archived