Another review of the Wonder with no kids

rtrtx2

Ages 39, 39

Prior cruises 10 Carnival, 6 Royal Carribean, 1 NCL, 1 Premier, 1 Disney 7 yrs ago with kids

Service- Excellent, it started from the moment we pulled into port and did not end until we left the port upon our return

Food-Very good, for only being a three day cruises they do not "cut back", husband enjoyed the large shrimp and the crab claws on the lunch buffets, Palo's was very nice, the lamb chops were awesome. Room service was prompt. Especially noticeable was the lack of lines and having to wait for the food out on the pool deck. There was never a wait for fresh and hot pizza, unlike Carnival where it seems you typically have to wait. We didn't partake in the pirate buffet but it looked good, lines were very manageable (hubby wished he had room for one of those turkey legs). The beverage station was a very nice touch, again never encountered long lines.

Entertainment- Our plan was to spend our time in the adult only area, however we found ourselves in the promenade bar listening to the duo (They were called Soul......., I forget the second part of the name) plus one night it was a dj with latin music. We made it to the one lounge the last night, they did the quest game, funny then the had a "Rockin" party, free shots, lots of interaction, music, short dance performance, glow necklaces, etc. It matched carnival and Royals parties in their disco's. The production shows were excellent. Yes they are disney orriented, but all the special affects, great singing, etc, Disney spares no expense for sure. We had hoped to see the movies playing in the theater but just ran out of time.

The special touches- sail away, it was a true celebration...the music, the streamers on sticks that they handed out free, the countdown....the only other cruise that has done this was Premier ( and a nowhere cruise with carnival where they were filming a video/ad) I really do not undstand why all lines can't do this. What does a little music and one or two cruise staff out on the pool deck cost the lines, I am sure they would sell enough drinks to make up any expenses.

Pirate party, in true disney fashion, the free pirate bandanas, the fireworks...love it.

Castaway Cay- Paradise

For us-lounging on the deck chairs on deck 4, the relaxtion I needed.

I mentioned the lack of lines, Disney really has line control down. Our last cruises were larger ships and more people but I really think disney has learnt to manage crowds. Even disembarkation, the absolute best ever! By staggering their dining times and then allowing walk off disembarkation they eliminated the mess so typical of disembarkation.

We look forward to another cruise on Disney, hopefully a longer cruise next time!

Ages 39, 39

Prior cruises 10 Carnival, 6 Royal Carribean, 1 NCL, 1 Premier, 1 Disney 7 yrs ago with kids

Service- Excellent, it started from the moment we pulled into port and did not end until we left the port upon our return

Food-Very good, for only being a three day cruises they do not "cut back", husband enjoyed the large shrimp and the crab claws on the lunch buffets, Palo's was very nice, the lamb chops were awesome. Room service was prompt. Especially noticeable was the lack of lines and having to wait for the food out on the pool deck. There was never a wait for fresh and hot pizza, unlike Carnival where it seems you typically have to wait. We didn't partake in the pirate buffet but it looked good, lines were very manageable (hubby wished he had room for one of those turkey legs). The beverage station was a very nice touch, again never encountered long lines.

Entertainment- Our plan was to spend our time in the adult only area, however we found ourselves in the promenade bar listening to the duo (They were called Soul......., I forget the second part of the name) plus one night it was a dj with latin music. We made it to the one lounge the last night, they did the quest game, funny then the had a "Rockin" party, free shots, lots of interaction, music, short dance performance, glow necklaces, etc. It matched carnival and Royals parties in their disco's. The production shows were excellent. Yes they are disney orriented, but all the special affects, great singing, etc, Disney spares no expense for sure. We had hoped to see the movies playing in the theater but just ran out of time.

The special touches- sail away, it was a true celebration...the music, the streamers on sticks that they handed out free, the countdown....the only other cruise that has done this was Premier ( and a nowhere cruise with carnival where they were filming a video/ad) I really do not undstand why all lines can't do this. What does a little music and one or two cruise staff out on the pool deck cost the lines, I am sure they would sell enough drinks to make up any expenses.

Pirate party, in true disney fashion, the free pirate bandanas, the fireworks...love it.

Castaway Cay- Paradise

For us-lounging on the deck chairs on deck 4, the relaxtion I needed.

I mentioned the lack of lines, Disney really has line control down. Our last cruises were larger ships and more people but I really think disney has learnt to manage crowds. Even disembarkation, the absolute best ever! By staggering their dining times and then allowing walk off disembarkation they eliminated the mess so typical of disembarkation.

We look forward to another cruise on Disney, hopefully a longer cruise next time!

Glad you enjoyed your Disney cruise. We cruised for the 1st time this past November and it was on Disney's Wonder cruise and we loved it. We rebooked while onboard for this November but on the Magic for 7 nights Western Caribbean. Since you've cruised with other lines before I was wondering what your thoughts were on the price and value of your Disney cruise versus your other cruises you have taken. I have a niece that has cruised with Carnival many times and she is just so taken back by the price of the Disney cruises and keeps telling me that we should consider a more cheaper cruise line, but she has never been on a Disney cruise before just as I have never been on a Carnival or RCL before. Just ondering what your thoughts were. TIA!!:)

Great report, i enjoyed reading it and I was very happy to hear you truly enjoyed your cruise. It got me more excited for our next 3 day later next week. We also spend a lot of time listening to the music in the Promenade lounge in the evenngs:)

You'll love a 7 day, it is fantastic, so book one soon!! You wont regret it.

NC66, you stated your doing a 7 day western in November, so are we.

We are going on the 29th, I was just wondering if we are on the same cruise?

mom x4,grandma x4

The value of DIsney vesus say Carnival, etc......my anwer is yes and no, it depends how much more. We actually got a great price that put this cruise inline with the other cruise line's prices for a 3 nighter. I do feel Disney is worth more, factor in the free soda and the private island versus having to do an excursion to the beach. I am truly a disney fan, everything disney, however the Holiday prices and the summer prices in my opinion are just too high for us to cruise frequently with them. It is very hard to say for sure, but I think for families there is not a better line as disney gives you kid time, family time and adult time and they do it better than the other lines ( for example a club that families can listen to music and dance).

We like the other lines and think they are all more alike than different, ofcourse the length of your cruise,the destination, and the particular ship will make a difference in atmosphere, etc. My husband and sons have always given the edge to Carnival, I always picked Royal, however if money were not an issue, husband and I both would pick Disney.

NC66, you stated your doing a 7 day western in November, so are we.

We are going on the 29th, I was just wondering if we are on the same cruise?

mom x4,grandma x4

Yes we are going 11/29/08 so we are on the same cruise!! I see you have a lot of cruise experience, Disney and otherwise. Can you give any insight to my earlier post? We really did enjoy our 4 night Wonder cruise. It was our first cruise though and I'm just wondering if we would enjoy another cruiseline cruise just as much. I really do love Disney though so keep that in mind. It's just that when I keep thinking about how much money we're paying, sometimes I think we made the wrong decision. Yes we do have a verandah stateroom because our thoughts are if you are going to spend this kinda of money you may as well get the most out of your vacation (cat. 6). Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

its a tough call.....Disney provides consistent and excellent service ( I am basing this on our resort experience also). They offer many choices for family time, like the promenade bar..live music and families are allowed, the free soda and the private island add value. For me it depends on how much more, at this time in my life I will not pay the Holiday prices and the higher summer prices, when they equal what I can pay for a 7 night cruise on another line. But Disney do everything with that added touch, example is sail away, most other lines may have pool side music and sell drinks but that is all, no cruise staff persons leading a celebration, etc. Another example is the buffet, I noticed on the Wonder the staff wait at the end of the buffet to assist people, especially youngsters....I have not seen this assistance on other lines. Nightly shows, other lines definitely more adult oriented, young children probably would not be over interested in them, on the other hand non-disney fans may see this as more of a plus. My husband and sons have always preferred Carnival, I have preferred Royal Carribean, however if money was not a consideration both my husband and I would pick Disney.

the shrimp were at embarkation in Parrot cay ( not sure if they were served at Beach Blanket). The crab claws were served at the lunch buffet in Beach Blanket( pool deck) on the day we were in Nassau.

I'm going to put a link here to my childless trip review from December 2007 because I don't think my post has any of the key words people might use to search for "adult DCL vacations".

This thread has it prominently in the subject line, so someone looking will now be able to find more info in just one search.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679689

If that is offensive to rtrtx2 (the original poster in this thread) I'll gladly take it out.

Heck no I am not offended I say the more the merrier. Thanks for the link, I enjoyed your review, gosh I really need to go again soon!! So I interview for a new job on Thursday, is it wrong if I let them know I have plans for a cruise in March (truthfully I don't but i am playing with the idea so I might!)

Archived