Sad story - May not be for the young

HoopTroop

We were on the Dawn March 2nd sailing with 4 teenagers, not to mention the many teen friends that they made. Hard to believe that this could happen but another reason to reinforce the rule of staying together....not that it made a difference in this case. Very scary....

And also that boys know they are not immune. On the cruise we did with our nieces, they had very specific rules about not going into other people's cabins, always staying together, etc. The scary thing is that most teens would not be afraid of 22 year olds... just flattered about the attention.

Viv

Since nobody said what happened, here is the lead paragraph.

"*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************"

Read the entire story at the link above.

And yes, this is awful. Something went really bad. But, lest anyone pass judgement, there may be a bit more to this story. None of us knows. I feel very bad for these kids.

OK..I'll bite the bullet and risk being FLAMBED like Baked Alaska!! Does anyone else have a problem with a 16 year old girl meeting a 17 year old boy in a hot jacuzzi at 10:30pm at night during Spring Break week?? Where were the parents? Also, why is no one, including the press and authorities making anything of them drinking the tequila that was free flowing before this? I'm curious to know if the teens were more than willing to go into a cabin for free booze when things got way out of hand? No means no, but are we positive these teens didn't put themselves in a dangerous situation then scream "rape" when it went beyond what they wanted?

By no means am I saying this is excusable or acceptable. But I feel there is just way too much information we don't have to say exactly how this went down and who was 100% to blame. Would you allow YOUR 16 year old daughters to meet 17 year old boys in the jacuzzis at 11pm? It reminds me of the old TV commercial....."Do you know where YOUR child is?"

OK..I'll bite the bullet and risk being FLAMBED like Baked Alaska!! Does anyone else have a problem with a 16 year old girl meeting a 17 year old boy in a hot jacuzzi at 10:30pm at night during Spring Break week?? Where were the parents? Also, why is no one, including the press and authorities making anything of them drinking the tequila that was free flowing before this? I'm curious to know if the teens were more than willing to go into a cabin for free booze when things got way out of hand? No means no, but are we positive these teens didn't put themselves in a dangerous situation then scream "rape" when it went beyond what they wanted?

By no means am I saying this is excusable or acceptable. But I feel there is just way too much information we don't have to say exactly how this went down and who was 100% to blame. Would you allow YOUR 16 year old daughters to meet 17 year old boys in the jacuzzis at 11pm? It reminds me of the old TV commercial....."Do you know where YOUR child is?"

Although I understand where you're coming from, if the story is as it says, regardless of how or why they got there... in the end it's the three young men who are 100% to blame. Not a flame, my flame thrower is in the shop for repairs, just my opinion.

Although I understand where you're coming from, if the story is as it says, regardless of how or why they got there... in the end it's the three young men who are 100% to blame. Not a flame, my flame thrower is in the shop for repairs, just my opinion.

IF the story is as it says....and we know the media NEVER distorts it's facts:rolleyes: That's a BIG "IF". Again, if it's 100% correct I couldn't agree more, but I get the feeling the teens, the authorities or the press are leaving some details out.

i don't care if we have the whole story or not (i don't believe the media in all it's forms...tv...periodicals...internet...etc). the bottomline is that there was a severe breakdown in parenting years ago...on ALL their parents. those 20 year olds should know better (we would think). but so long as kids have "role models" such as those we see in entertainment...sometimes i wonder if having kids in today's society is the best thing.

there are no victims here...IMO. if i had a minor there would be STRICT rules on curfews. i'd want to meet the people my children were hanging out with. i mean you can't be a policeman, but at least take an interest in your kid's safety.

i wasn't a goody good...and i don't think i'm an angel. definitely a lack of morale fiber in this group of young adults.

If this story was reported as true, YES, there are victims.. It is the 16 and 17 yr old who were forced to do as the older boys said.

Yes, I probably would let my 16 yr old be out with a friend at 10:30, with a warning to stay in public areas.

Should the two teens have gone into someones room? Absolutely not, but teens are teens and we all know that they do not make the smartest of choices.

Unfortunately these horrible things occur everywhere. What amazes me is that the older kids, would attempt to do something like this on a ship. Did they not think that they would be caught? or were they so drunk that they didn't even care.

Not exactly what you want to read when you are about to cruise with your teenage daughter. Her and I have already been butting heads over her "freedom" on the ship. She believes she should be allowed to come and go with any new friends she may make.

My point with her is that this is a floating city, I would not let her wander the streets where we live why would I let her there??

Let's hope there is justice. The alleged criminals are in the Federal Justice System, and if I recall correctly, they only charge people when there is a virtual certainty of a conviction at trial. I think most plead guilty and of the rest, about 80% - 90% are convicted by a jury.

There is also NO PAROLE in the Federal System, so these three twentysomething cruisers are likely to be in prison a VERY long time! And that's fine with me.

i don't think i'd let my teen dd out alone that late with a 'friend' that she just met on the ship. although i suppose these things could have easily happened during the day time too.

what a sad story regardless of the circumstances.

Amen, Amen and Amen. Thanks for biting the bullet, Thats exactly how I feel. And how do you force A 17 year old to perform those functions. He certainly couldn't have been to scared, sorry to say he was able to --well you know. And where were the parents. Seems to me they should be charged. Not really, because I don't agree with Goverment all up in parenting but still the point is, it would seem they failed those kids by not supervising them properly.

Oh and P.S. before everyone gets in an uproar, I am not defending the older men, What I am saying is that if they had been supervised, the sickos that unfortunately are in this world (because we are not allowed to kill them or castrate them) would not have been allowed to get to them, and the teenagers who proberably knew they shouldn't drink tequilla would proberably have not drank the tequilla,

Amen, Amen and Amen. Thanks for biting the bullet, Thats exactly how I feel. And how do you force A 17 year old to perform those functions. He certainly couldn't have been to scared, sorry to say he was able to --well you know. .

Men and boys absolutely can be forced into faking or performing acts against their will. Don't get hung up on the salacious details about how exactly everything played out -- it was most likely a terrifying experience for both teens. As described, it was a sexual assault on both of them. Period.

Something for all parents of teen *boys* to remember as well, BTW. Any teen or young adult can find themselves in a situation where they could be assaulted.

Men and boys absolutely can be forced into faking or performing acts against their will. Don't get hung up on the salacious details about how exactly everything played out -- it was most likely a terrifying experience for both teens. As described, it was a sexual assault on both of them. Period.

Something for all parents of teen *boys* to remember as well, BTW. Any teen or young adult can find themselves in a situation where they could be assaulted.

Apparently he was already-possibly looking for "trouble" as he wanted to meet her in the hot tub.

Of course we all are entitled to our opinions, and we do not know the entire story. I myself believe that each one of them, sicko's, teenagers, and parents should be held responsible and accountable.

And by the way, I have 4 boys.

Not exactly what you want to read when you are about to cruise with your teenage daughter. Her and I have already been butting heads over her "freedom" on the ship. She believes she should be allowed to come and go with any new friends she may make.

My point with her is that this is a floating city, I would not let her wander the streets where we live why would I let her there??

Oh I feel for you!! I also have a teen daughter (teenage years are sooo easy :eek: :eek: )

I will also show her this story but I know she will give me the old :rolleyes: face. All we can do is stress to them to be careful and set rules which they HAVE to listen too. If not then she will have NO freedom at all.

On our March 2nd cruise, my DD 15 and niece 16 and DS 17 were always meeting other 14, 15 16, 17 year olds at the jacuzzi, at Blue Lagoon, at the basketball court, etc. They were somewhat bored with the organized teen activities and had a group of 10-15 that they hung out with outside the club all week. Just because these two were together in no way means that they were the only two going to the jacuzzi. We had strict instructions, especially to the girls, that they were not to come back to the room and none of the teens were allowed to go into someone else's room. This sometimes meant that one of the boys that they were hanging out with walked them back, which could have been the case....and a 16 and 17 y/o being enticed by free tequila?? Comeon...:eek: of course they were! You are are right that we only know what is being told to us but as we all know, teenagers do not always make the best judgement calls. Neither do 22 year old drunk guys but they should know when a crime is being committed.

I agree that it is good to point out that the boys are not immune. It's very naive to think that a boy cannot be sexually assaulted in this way.

You can blame "sicko" parents like me all you want for allowing my teens to stay up with their friends, with RULES and curfuews in place, but you don't know me or the parents of these two individuals so you have no right to judge me. Just as an aside, the teen club often had an activity scheduled for 11:30 at night, one of them been a jacuzzi party.

Like an earlier poster(s) said, we do not know the whole story. We know what the kids have said. One can reasonably ASSUME that the older guys did something wrong, but since none of us were there, it is rather difficult to totally blame them vs the kids.

Again, there is always more to the story. And if there is not, then I too feel very sorry for these kids.

But others should not be jumping to conclusions unless of course you were there and KNOW what happened.

But, based on past situations posted on these boards, most people somehow KNOW what happened.

We had strict instructions, especially to the girls, that they were not to come back to the room and none of the teens were allowed to go into someone else's room.

Oops! Should have said "not to come back to the room alone":o

On our March 2nd cruise, my DD 15 and niece 16 and DS 17 were always meeting other 14, 15 16, 17 year olds at the jacuzzi, at Blue Lagoon, at the basketball court, etc. They were somewhat bored with the organized teen activities and had a group of 10-15 that they hung out with outside the club all week. Just because these two were together in no way means that they were the only two going to the jacuzzi. We had strict instructions, especially to the girls, that they were not to come back to the room and none of the teens were allowed to go into someone else's room. This sometimes meant that one of the boys that they were hanging out with walked them back, which could have been the case....and a 16 and 17 y/o being enticed by free tequila?? Comeon...:eek: of course they were! You are are right that we only know what is being told to us but as we all know, teenagers do not always make the best judgement calls. Neither do 22 year old drunk guys but they should know when a crime is being committed.

I agree that it is good to point out that the boys are not immune. It's very naive to think that a boy cannot be sexually assaulted in this way.

You can blame "sicko" parents like me all you want for allowing my teens to stay up with their friends, with RULES and curfuews in place, but you don't know me or the parents of these two individuals so you have no right to judge me. Just as an aside, the teen club often had an activity scheduled for 11:30 at night, one of them been a jacuzzi party.

If you are referring to what I said about Sicko's, I was talking about the older guys. I also was not judging you, as a parent, you have the right to make parenting decisions for your children. The decision those teens made for their children is something they will have to live with. I personally would not allow my children-even teens-exspecially teens-out that late unsupervised, you yourself said that Teens don't make the best judgement calls. I often told my 22 y/o that it wasn't him I didn't trust, it was the situation, I loved him enough not to put him in situations that he would have to make "judgement calls" at that tender age. I think he turned out alright. He is a marine who recently served a tour in Iraq. I didn't over protect him-but he was very protected. Some children are very responsible and parents give them more lead way, that's up to them, I just can't. I never want to have a situation where I have to say "I wish I hadn't, or Didn't." we all know anything can happen even to the best of parents, I just try to assure there is no oppertunity for "it" to happen.

Archived