Best Way, Progreso and Merida

JawjaBoy

I would like to thank all the fine folks who contribute here for the information they give.

We will be in Progreso in early October for the day. After reading about Merida, it looks like too much of a good opportunity to pass up. I have never been out of the U.S. and this will be my first venture in another country.

I have read so much information provided on this discussion board and various other sites mentioned here but I need advice.

There will be 4 of us: Me, Wife, 7 year old son and another adult woman. I have promised the girls shopping so the main street type market and Wal-Mart are the type places we would like to go to along with the cathedral and other places as time allows.

The ship arrives at 7:00 and leaves at 4:00. When I say the day, I am thinking around 5 hours. I want to have 2 hours to look around Progreso and make sure we make it back on in time.

Should we hire a taxi in Progreso for the day to take us to Merida and around Merida? How much could we expect this to cost?

Or

Take the bus from Progreso to Merida then hire a taxi for the day? I know the bus will be about $3. How much would the taxi cost? I think that this would be more of an adventure.

How safe is hiring a taxi for such a trip? I know that Merida has the lowest crime rate in Mexico but there is that little hesitation or fear of being in another country.

My spanish is not very good but I am studying my phrase book.

I am really excited about visiting Merida. It looks like such a wonderful place.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer and reading my rambling.

Chuck

John:

Thanks for your response!

I have your pictures on AOL bookmarked. I look at them every night!

The one picture of the Nun selling stuff on the table would make a great story about buying from a traditional Nun and knowing that it benefits the church!

After reading so many of your post about Merida, it is what convinced me to go.

I feel this 'cyber-nudging' from you and HostMach standing on either side of me, bumping me with your elbows saying "Man, don't miss it, you have to go!"

I am having a hard time sharing the excitment with the girls. They will get the excitement when we get there.

After getting a price ahead of time: Should I feel comfortable getting into a taxi and asking them to take us to Wal-Mart OR where ever?

What is the name of the big street market with many vendors? (What we would consider a flea market)

Thanks,

Chuck

Unfortunately, the craft markets are held on the weekends. There is a mall right on the main square with many gift shops. There are also excellent gift shops in the large hotel complex right across from WalMart.

By all means, take taxis around. Fares will run between 20 and 40 pesos a trip, and you can negotiate a half-day rate easily.

Chuck and YucatanToday. YT, for once we disagree. LOL

I prefer the local bus. Better feel for the local color in my mind. Also the taxi from Progreso and return is about $25 ea way.

There is a great gift/craft store on Calle 62 one or two blocks from el centro. (fixed pricing) I bought several nativity sets there. So different from home. Yes, to go to Walmart use a taxi. It's a pretty good walk. And then there is the Mercado or central market which is interesting to visit and maybe shop. I have bght Panama hats there of very high quality. Also little food stands with great roast turkey tacos. Because of the heat, wear loose fitting shirts and hat. Great coffee (bean or by the cup) at Cafe Habana also on Calle 62. They roast their own. Also try a Michelada. That's a beer with spicy mix. Pretty darn snappy.

And don't forget the carriage rides.

YT I think I misunderstood your suggestion about taxis. Thought you were saying us a taxi to Merida.

Thank for your replies. I will follow your advice and the Michelada sounds great.

Too bad we will not be there on the weekend. I think we will be there on a Monday.

I am a little more confident in my plans. I am more excited about Merida than going on my first cruise!

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck. Don't be surprised at planning a land trip, after your visit.

Weekends are special in Merida. The weekly street fair begins about 5PM on Sat and runs till very late on sunday night. Restaurants set up in the streets, lots of bands and street dancing, many food stands (great churos) and other vendors. These people really know how to enjoy themselves. Merida has a great sense of "community". Maybe the best I've seen. You can tell YT is proud of his city. BTW. The publisher of Yucatan Today has made some water colors of sights in Merida and the Yucatan. Be prepared to bring a couple home. Last I bght was $5.00.

That is what I am thinking. The bus from Progreso to Merida will be my choice. In Merida we will go by taxi. I am more comfortable with that and it will help us make the best use of time!

Are taxis easily available at the bus station? I think it would be common but want to ask to make sure.

Do most drivers speak some english?

What is the bus station called that we will arrive at from Progreso? I want to make sure I can say "Please take us ______"

Thanks so much for your and hdawson's help here. I can't wait to visit Merida.

Chuck

Chuck, the bus terminal in Progreso is about three (or two) blocks from where the courtesy bus drops you at the flea market. Just ask directions. When you arrive in Merida walk out to the street, turn right and walk three blocks to the central plaza in the middle of the historical area. Pick up a print copy of Yucatan Today in Progreso. It's a big help.

English speaking taxi drivers is a toss up. Taxis are plentiful every where. You don't need a taxi experiencing the historical area. My advice is to just stroll and take in the sights, have a good lunch, a Michelada, some really good coffee, visit the Cathedral (1561) and other very old churches on Calle 60. By all means walk into the Casa de Montejo and look at the arches with cutouts showing the original stone work from 1549. I'ld say they were some pretty good stone masons. It now serves as a bank. Also on Plaza Hildago on Calle 60, you might enjoy walking into the lobby of Hotel Gran. It looks like a movie set of the period early 1900s. The girls will enjoy seeing the very special dress shop off the lobby. While on that plaza your son will enjoy seeing the Macau in the courtyard of the Caribe Hotel. Also a nice sidewalk cafe right there.

BTW. Sidewalks are pretty narrow, so strollers might be a problem.

I am soooooo envious of you. When I sell the old home place, I think I will go to Merida for a month.

John

hdawson or YT:

I have been typing my plans for my entire trip. My wife will be more comfortable knowing what I have planned.

Do you think that 2 hours is a good amount of time to allow leaving Merida and getting back to Progreso? I don't want to take any chances on missing the boat!

Thanks again for all your help. I will probably have more questions before we leave. I do plan on posting pictures and a write up. My 7 year old son has no idea of the adventure in front of him!

Thanks,

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...
Wonderful tours to Merida are offered in the local market at Progresso. They are resonably priced. You might consider doing that!

Are you fresh back from Pregreso? How much is reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Chuck

Archived