Snorkeling at Dzul Ha for beginners?

sherry7

Is snorkeling at Dzul Ha okay for beginners?

My husband, 15 year old son, and myself are taking our first cruise this January. We have absolutely no snorkeling experience right now, but our stops on the cruise before Cozumel include Labadee (RCCL's private destination), where we plan to do some snorkeling, and Grand Cayman, where we will be snorkeling as well. So, with a couple of snorkeling experiences under our belts, do you think we'd be okay at Dzul Ha, or is this for more experienced people?

Also, we will be visiting in early January. Does the time of year have much to do with the water conditions?

Thanks. :)

A personal Dzul Ha experience, less than a month old (Oct. 7):

My companion and I are a 50-ish couple. I'd snorkeled a handful of times, she never had. She really balked at a snorkeling expedition, thinking it would cut into her shopping time.

Well, she loved it (as did I)! Despite not being a strong swimmer, she was entirely comfortable, as the water is only shoulder-depth in many places. There was much to see -- fish, coral -- close to shore, with still more available further out if/when you feel more daring. But, in relatively calm weather, we never felt in any danger from strong currents, etc., though there was a distinguishable southbound current.

We rested afterward at the lovely pool across the street at PalMar Beach Estate, and had just a few-minutes cab ride back to the pier (or town) for shopping later.

NewCruzer1, thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear the water is not that deep in many places. Sounds like a lovely spot. Am I correct in thinking that it is free to snorkel there?

We plan on going to Paradise Beach after snorkeling at Dzul Ha? Is it usually easy to catch a cab from one spot to the next?

By the way, just how DO you pronounce Dzul Ha? :confused:

Dzul Ha is pronounced Zool Ha.

How strong a swimmer are you? I would strongly suggest wearing a life belt around your waist. Sometimes the water can get very choppy at Coz. Be sure and make good use of your fins so you do not wear yourself out using your arms. Consider wearing a tee shirt to keep your back from getting sunburned.

I took a group of 9 there 9/29 and the novices wore themselves out fast using their arms too much and their fins not enough. It was much better than any of the times I have been to Chankanaab.

There is no charge for snorkeling. But we put our bags in their chairs at a table and we bought a drink (coke or beer) and they seemed fine with that. Come as early as you can because alot of the boat tours take snorkelers there and it can get crowded fast.

Patti

Thanks for the replies.

p2lockhart, do you happen to know if they rent lifebelts or snorkeling vests at Dzul Ha?

I'm a decent swimmer, but my husband and son swim better than I do. However, I definitely wouldn't mind renting a lifebelt if one was available.

We already purchased our own fins, masks, and snorkels, but not the vests. The 2nd day of our cruise is at Labadee, so we should get plenty of opportunity to practice there, I hope.

Does anyone know if Dzul Ha has a website? Maybe I can email them and see if they rent the vests.

Thanks. :)

Snorkel vests do not keep your head out of the water like life vests do. They just provide extra floation or support so to speak - easy to maintain your body horizonal in the water. Can't recall seeing anyplace that rents belts here just snorkeling vests.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sally and I both love this island. And I know that I can speak for her, we are both glad to help. Tom pitches in with some good advice too when he isn't too busy arranging cruises on the pineapple boat. Now if I could only figure out smilies...I have the perfect one to insert here. I am techno geek challenged.

DonnaLill, there are lockers available at both Dzul Ha and also across the street at PalMar Estate Beach Club. I highly recommend putting your wallet, sunglasses, etc. in a locker. If I recall, the cost for locker at Dzul Ha is only a buck or two. I'm not sure what it is at PalMar Estate. The website says an equipment and locker deposit is required and refunded upon return.

http://cozumelinsider.com/palmar/

DonnaLill...I left my stuff on the rocks at Dzul Ha yesterday morning. Took my key and hooked it on my swimsuit top. There was not a problem...everything was untouched. But if you are concerned, I suggest getting one of those waterproof around the neck/or waist containers. The ones you wear around your neck look like a cigarette case size and the waist one looks like a plastic fannypak. You could take your valuables in the water safely with you if you get there before they open.

CC has a beachsafe you can order at the following site:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26

I left my stuff on the table because we had a couple of folks in our group who were not snorkeling and were staying at the table having a drink and watching our stuff. Also, we were the first ones there.

Here is what you will see, except the goofy guy who took his own pic:)

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=cjalphonso&P=&AID=1900317&T=1

Awesome pics! I can't believe all of the fish I see! Looking at these pics sealed my decision to stop at Dzul Ha before going to Paradise Beach. Thanks for sharing them with us.

What type of camera did you take these with?

Archived