Major changes to Helsinki 3T/3B trams

In their great visedom Helsinki traffic planners have made changes to the 3T/3B tram routes.

The tram route formes an "8". Earlier the 3T circled the route one direction and 3B the other. In the middle on the "8" the route went on parallell streets to prevent confusion. Now the route in downtown has been changed so the trams will use the same street twice in front of the railway station in the middle of the "8".

The new 3T route in downtown is:

Alexanterinkatu-Mikonkatu-Kaivokatu-Simonkatu-Annankatu-U. Kekkonenkatu-Fredrikinkatu, an ingenious zig-zag route almost guaranteed to create traffic jams, delays and incidents, especially during winter.

To solve the problems with the double use of Kaivokatu the trams will now change names during the route! So the trams will be called 3T IN BOTH DIRECTIONS while in the northwest and southeast part of the "8" and called 3B IN BOTH DIRECTIONS while in the northeast and southwest part of the "8".

So in front of the railway station there will now be:

Tram 3T going west turning north

Tram 3B going west turning south

Tram 3T going east turning south

Tram 3B going east turning north

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?keya=&line=3T

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?keya=&line=3B

So what does it mean for the on day tourist? Well genarally speaking just use any tram 3 you can find if you feel it goes in correct direction regardless if it is a 3T or 3B.

Ultima Thule,

Sorry, this isn't related to your post, but I've been trying to find somebody from Helsinki to ask this crazy question. We will be flying into Helsinki from the USA and changing planes (Finn Air) to arrive at our final destination of Stockholm.

My questions: Are the duty free shops located in the area after you pass through security? Do you know if we can buy duty free alcohol in Helsinki airport and carry on the plane?

In their great visedom Helsinki traffic planners have made changes to the 3T/3B tram routes.

The tram route formes an "8". Earlier the 3T circled the route one direction and 3B the other. In the middle on the "8" the route went on parallell streets to prevent confusion. Now the route in downtown has been changed so the trams will use the same street twice in front of the railway station in the middle of the "8".

The new 3T route in downtown is:

Alexanterinkatu-Mikonkatu-Kaivokatu-Simonkatu-Annankatu-U. Kekkonenkatu-Fredrikinkatu, an ingenious zig-zag route almost guaranteed to create traffic jams, delays and incidents, especially during winter.

To solve the problems with the double use of Kaivokatu the trams will now change names during the route! So the trams will be called 3T IN BOTH DIRECTIONS while in the northwest and southeast part of the "8" and called 3B IN BOTH DIRECTIONS while in the northeast and southwest part of the "8".

So in front of the railway station there will now be:

Tram 3T going west turning north

Tram 3B going west turning south

Tram 3T going east turning south

Tram 3B going east turning north

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?keya=&line=3T

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?keya=&line=3B

So what does it mean for the on day tourist? Well genarally speaking just use any tram 3 you can find if you feel it goes in correct direction regardless if it is a 3T or 3B.

Too funny. Politicians are indeed strange entities. Thanks for the headsup!

My questions: Are the duty free shops located in the area after you pass through security? Do you know if we can buy duty free alcohol in Helsinki airport and carry on the plane?

Try these links:

http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/shoppingareas

http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/dutyfreeshops

http://www.helsinki-vantaa.fi/servicemap

Thanks so much for the update, Ultima!! I had already printed out the route map and we were planning on taking the Tram next month. Do you by chance know if the "stops" along the route(s) will remain the same as before?? (other than at the center of the "8" in the center of town). ??? I had listed all the sights we were interested in seeing by their locations to the tram stops.

Thanks again.

Do you by chance know if the "stops" along the route(s) will remain the same as before?? (other than at the center of the "8" in the center of town). ???

Yes, apart from new section the stops are the same.

Four new stops: Mikonkatu, Railway station, Simonkatu, Kamppi (Bus station).

I don't remember exact names of the old stops they are replacing.

Ultima Thule,

Sorry, this isn't related to your post, but I've been trying to find somebody from Helsinki to ask this crazy question. We will be flying into Helsinki from the USA and changing planes (Finn Air) to arrive at our final destination of Stockholm.

Stockholm = Sweden

Helsinki = Finland

Sweden + Finland = part of EU and Schengen

i.e. after you passed the immigration in Helsinki you are NOT entitled anymore to see a DUTY/TAX FREE SHOP.

According to EU-rule there should be only TRAVEL VALUE shops which are more expensive than classical DUTY/TAX FREE SHOPS.

Check here:

if you buy on a Finnair-Flight you should be able to buy it cheap and get it through security:

http://www.finnair.com/finnaircom/wps/portal/finnair/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLD403sXAFSYGYzp76kShCrvFuIWhCofEuPgghX4_83FT9oNS8eE-_EH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAgmDn2g!!/#3

I am not sure if Helsinki has a DUTY FREE SHOP for arrival passengers BEFORE immigration to get cheap alcohol to Sweden.

Regards,

HeinBloed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic 3T/3B:

Do they still ride the "8" or due to the change of the route number are riding two little "0" which means you need to change to have a ride on the former 3T/3B route???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Back to the topic 3T/3B:

Do they still ride the "8" or due to the change of the route number are riding two little "0" which means you need to change to have a ride on the former 3T/3B route???

To me it looks like 3T does it's west-to-north loop and comes back to the station where it becomes 3B on the west-to-south loop.

Then vice-versa for the other tram - 3B on the east-to-south loop and then 3T on the east-to-north loop.

Theoretically then, at least if I'm understanding this correctly, if you were doing the entire figure 8 circuit in either direction, it shouldn't be necessary to change trams - same tram with just a different route number for each half of the figure 8.

They are still running in a "8" so you don't need to change tram if you want to do the whole route. The tram will change number twice during the route but that doesnt really matter to you once you are inside.

But if you plan to "Hop On Hop Off" you should take care that you continue in the same direction as the trams will have same number in both directions now.

Its tram 3T and the price is 1.80 Euro for a single tram ticket but there is a major problem:

From 1st January 2009 the drivers do not sell tram tickets.

They can still be bought in ticket machines

So the next question is naturally "Where to find a ticket machine"?

and you get the answer:

"There is a ticket machine for example on every metro station." :confused:

Well, thats not much comfort for the tourist. :mad: The only advice I can give is to start the day by entering a local bus and buy a one day ticket. Seems like that one costs 6.80 Euro now.

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/HKL_en/Artikkeli?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/hkl/en/Tickets

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/HKL_en/Artikkeli?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/hkl/en/Tickets/Buying+a+ticket

• 1 month later...

Hi Ultima

if I get onto the line 3 tram what stop should I get off in order to see/visit the Rock Church?

can I reuse the same ticket to reboard the tram to return to the City centre or do I buy a new single ticket from the tram driver?

if the tram driver doesn't sell tickets, where do I buy a tram ticket?

thank you!

Hi Ultima

if I get onto the line 3 tram what stop should I get off in order to see/visit the Rock Church?

can I reuse the same ticket to reboard the tram to return to the City centre or do I buy a new single ticket from the tram driver?

if the tram driver doesn't sell tickets, where do I buy a tram ticket?

thank you!

First, sorry that I have given wrong information earlier. The text on HKL web page was a bit messy earlier so I read wrongly.

Tram drives DON'T sell cheap rate tram tickets (1.80 Euro) anymore

those can be bought in machines at subway stations.,

BUT

Tram drives STILL SALE normal single tickets and 1-day tourist tickets!

Single ticket adults

- from the driver 2.50

- in ticket machines 2.00

children aged 7-16

- from the driver 1.20

- in ticket machines 1.00

Tourist ticket

- 1 day 6.80 / 3.40

A single ticket is valid for an hour. A ticket that is bought from a ticket machine or a driver has the last validity time on it

A tram ticket provides a transfer time of one hour on the tram lines.

And for the Rock Church you should get off at "Kauppakorkeakoulut / Handelshögskolorna".

Google map shows Sammonkatu station (next stop from Kauppakorkeakoulut) to be little bit closer to the Rock church. Is the map wrong?

Sammonkatu stop is better if you come from north. But the platforms are not parallell to each other so if you come from south the Sammonkatu stop is one block further north.

As "cruzisme" said "back to the city" I assumed he would come from south.

You can see it on this picture:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=v0vvc4k29bkq&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=11653455&encType=1

The rock church in the middle with entrance to the right of the circular roof where the shadow starts. "Sammonkatu" stop from north is close to the blue bus at bottom of the picture. "Sammonkatu" stop from south is a bit more to the left.

"Kauppakorkeakoulut" stop to the far right of the picture where the tram tracks makes a turn and disappers into the shadow.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep a careful watch on that sign board. As of last week they didn't have any english brochures. The stop names on the sign board keep changing, I presume to indicate places that are near that stop and not just the name of the stop. I had to carefully follow the map and try to match it with the sign board to know where I was at. Perhaps it will be easier when they get the english brochure as I had no idea what I was looking at.

Archived