Whale Watching - Juneau or Icy Strait Point

Disney Girl 202

We are going with our children and the budget for excursions is pretty tight. We are very interested in whale watching and were looking seriously at Orca in Juneau but now have been reading about Icy Strait Point Whale Watching. Any thoughts on the best place to do this. This will probably we our only "big" excursion unless we can find a way to afford heli ride with glacier landing.

We are going with our children and the budget for excursions is pretty tight. We are very interested in whale watching and were looking seriously at Orca in Juneau but now have been reading about Icy Strait Point Whale Watching. Any thoughts on the best place to do this. This will probably we our only "big" excursion unless we can find a way to afford heli ride with glacier landing.

If you are looking for orca (killer whales), then both Icy Strait Point and Juneau will be disappointments. Orcas can best be seen at Johnstone Strait (at the Northeast corner of Vancouver Island) and off the waters of Victoria.

However, the BEST place to see humpback whales is Icy Strait Point (specifically, Pt. Adolphus). Juneau is also a good place, but not as good as Icy Strait Point.

Thanks so much for the response. Is this the best for seeing whales - as well as the best for the scenery and other wildlife? I am hoping for the whole experience, if that makes sense. As well, do you have any recommendations of a tour operator in Icy Strait Point? Thanks again.

Hi there - I have just booked with F.I.S.H.E.S. for a Whale Watching trip and have done it all over the internet. Have found Marjorie very helpful and pleasant to deal with. I booked with them after reading many rave reviews on both C.C. and T.A.

Thanks so much for the response. Is this the best for seeing whales - as well as the best for the scenery and other wildlife? I am hoping for the whole experience, if that makes sense. As well, do you have any recommendations of a tour operator in Icy Strait Point? Thanks again.

In Icy Strait Point, F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind are the two best choices, but be aware that since their boats hold only 6 passengers, the sell out very quickly. You should book with them at least 2 months prior to your cruise, or risk finding that they are booked solid.

In Juneau, if your cruise ship offers the "Photo Safari by Land and Sea" (by Gastineau Guiding Tours), then I would book that. It combines whale watching with exploring the trails at Mendenhall Glacier, and is led by a naturalist who is also a professional photographer. The guide will provide lots of tips on how to take the best photos of wildlife and whales. This excursion gets rave reviews on these boards.

I would do BOTH of these tours.

Archived