BREAKING news, Price Drop Policy...new info

Sue L

Just playing devil's advocate here, where does it say it is non-refundable if you don't use all your OBC? Someone this week had asked and was told it would be refundable. I have not seen it in writing either way so don't really know, just asking the question.

You may be actually talking about me...when I called RCCL I was told that any unused OBC would be credited to the CC on the SeaPass account....HOWEVER, as you state I do not see that in writing in their new "Price Guarantee"

The main problem here is the following:

1. The marjority of price drops happen within the 3-2 month window before the cruise departure date. I am looking at a cruise on the Oasis. The odds are, the price will fall, probably with a 55+ or resident rate.

On my Solstice Cruise Last Year, I had a price drop of $1236, which I would NEVER spend onboard the cruise ship. I spent $500 max on my seapass, which under RCL's new policy, would leave me with $736 left to spend - Non-refundable.

Just got a drop for NEXT July, $500 per person, got $540 off per person a couple of months ago for Oct, so many times much further out

Just playing devil's advocate here, where does it say it is non-refundable if you don't use all your OBC? Someone this week had asked and was told it would be refundable. I have not seen it in writing either way so don't really know, just asking the question.

that is what was posted, said they were told by C & A I believe.

It is a policy that I have dealt with before. I had unused OBC and the Purser at the Front Desk told me it was non-refundable. I had to go and spend my money or otherwise I would have lost it.

Interesting point though on your part. I shall investigate. :)

Always have gotten any leftover OBC refunded to CC or in cash, never had a problem.

Hmmm - this sounds like the new policy, which was rescinded, and is now in effect???

This sure looks like a price drop guarantee to me! Don't see a darn thing wrong with it. Right up to 72 hours before departure.

Thank you for the link bajathree.

I think the auditions for RC membership is over !!!

Just another example of a company that has mis-judged it client base - really there needs to be a clear out in the boardroom its just one fiasco after another !!!

jj.......

LOL!

Hi jj,

Oh I totally agree, have for some time now.

Read the Book, "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer A. Garin if you are interested in the history of the business of the modern Cruise Lines. It is a good read.

Colleen

It's in the FAQs in the explanation that was sent to TAs.:)

Here is what was sent

FAQs

What is the Price Guaranteeprice protection program?

If your customers book a cruise through you with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised

by Royal Caribbean, we will honor that rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to the price

difference. For reservations outside of the final payment period, the onboard creditmay be replaced, upon request,

as a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund as applicable.

What should I do ifmy customer finds a lower rate?

Simply call a Royal Caribbean representative to have your guest’s onboard credit applied. There are no forms to fill

out. The adjustment will be made to their reservation. Onboard credits will be applied to the first and second guest

on the reservation for the full amount of the price difference unless otherwise requested at the time of application.

If you prefer, your guest will also be given the option of upgrading their stateroom based on availability and price

paid. Outside of final payment period, they also have the option to have their price reduced to the lower rate,

however commission will not be protected in this case.

When can Imake a reservation for my guest?

Anytime! Royal Caribbean’s Price Guaranteeprice protection applies anytime between booking and 72 hours prior

to sailing as long as they are eligible for the new lower rate. Use this programtomake their reservation early to give

your customer the best choice of staterooms and departures. That way you and your guest can rest easy knowing

that we will adjust their price should we lower our rates.

When can I call for Price Guarantee price protection?

Anytime between initial reservation and 72 hours prior to departure of the sailing. The new rate must be available

at the time of request for conversion and no conversions will be made after departure.

Are Groups bookings eligible to receive the Price Guarantee price protection?

Bookings that are part of an affinity or promotional group (non-contracted only) and that are both fully named and

depositedmay take advantage of the Price Guarantee price protection program. However, price protection will not

be available within 70 days of the sailing date if payment in full has not been received for the applicable booking

within the group.

Are the Onboard Credits refundable if not used onboard?

Yes, the onboard credits are refundable..

What are the Terms & Conditions for Individual and Qualifying Group Bookings?

Programapplies only to individual bookings or to affinity and promotional group bookings (non-contracted)made

in the fifty U.S. states and Canada. For individual berths within a qualifying group booking, the guest booked at a

higher fare can receive the difference between that fare and a lower fare advertised or offered by the applicable

Cruise Line in the form of an onboard cruise credit. For reservations outside of final payment period, upon request

the difference will be refunded back to the original payment source. Requests for adjustments must be received by

the cruise line at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled sailing date for the cruise. The lower fare must be a)

available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking; b) available at the time

the request for rate conversion is made; and c) a rate program that is not limited to new bookings only. If the lower

rate is available under any of the following special price programs, it shall not be available under the Price

Guarantee program: Royal Sales Event; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs.

The Price Guarantee program does not apply to any charter arrangements nor does it apply to any space that sold

to a third party for resale. Travel Agent commission will not be protected on reductions in cruise fare that result in

an onboard credit or refund. Price Guarantee does not apply to government taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement

charges. The Price Guarantee program may be discontinued or modified at any time without prior notice and shall

be void where prohibited or restricted by applicable law.

©2009 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships registry: The Bahamas. MK09015983b

GUARANTEE

PRICE

A link please;):)

What is the Price Guarantee price protection program?

If your customers book a cruise through you with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised

by Royal Caribbean, we will honor that rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to the price

difference. For reservations outside of the final payment period, the onboard creditmay be replaced, upon request, as a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund as applicable.

What should I do if my customer finds a lower rate?

Simply call a Royal Caribbean representative to have your guest’s onboard credit applied. There are no forms to fill out. The adjustment will be made to their reservation. Onboard credits will be applied to the first and second guest on the reservation for the full amount of the price difference unless otherwise requested at the time of application.

If you prefer, your guest will also be given the option of upgrading their stateroom based on availability and price

paid. Outside of final payment period, they also have the option to have their price reduced to the lower rate,

however commission will not be protected in this case.

When can Imake a reservation formy guest?

Anytime! Royal Caribbean’s

Price Guarantee price protection applies anytime between booking and 72 hours prior to sailing as long as they are eligible for the new lower rate. Use this programtomake their reservation early to give your customer the best choice of staterooms and departures. That way you and your guest can rest easy knowing that we will adjust their price should we lower our rates.

When can I call for Price Guarantee price protection?

Anytime between initial reservation and 72 hours prior to departure of the sailing. The new rate must be available at the time of request for conversion and no conversions will be made after departure.

Are Groups bookings eligible to receive the Price Guarantee price protection?

Bookings that are part of an affinity or promotional group (non-contracted only) and that are both fully named and depositedmay take advantage of the

Price Guarantee price protection program. However, price protection will not be available within 70 days of the sailing date if payment in full has not been received for the applicable booking within the group.

Are the Onboard Credits refundable if not used onboard?

Yes, the onboard credits are refundable..

What are the Terms & Conditions for Individual and Qualifying Group Bookings?

Program applies only to individual bookings or to affinity and promotional group bookings (non-contracted)made

in the fifty U.S. states and Canada. For individual berths within a qualifying group booking, the guest booked at a

higher fare can receive the difference between that fare and a lower fare advertised or offered by the applicable

Cruise Line in the form of an onboard cruise credit. For reservations outside of final payment period, upon request the difference will be refunded back to the original payment source.

Requests for adjustments must be received by the cruise line at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled sailing date for the cruise. The lower fare must be a)available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking; b) available at the time the request for rate conversion is made; and c) a rate program that is not limited to new bookings only.

If the lower rate is available under any of the following special price programs, it shall not be available under the

Price Guarantee program: Royal Sales Event; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs.

The Price Guarantee program does not apply to any charter arrangements nor does it apply to any space that sold to a third party for resale. Travel Agent commission will not be protected on reductions in cruise fare that result in an onboard credit or refund. Price Guarantee does not apply to government taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement charges.

The Price Guarantee program may be discontinued or modified at any time without prior notice and shall

The Price Guarantee program may be discontinued or modified at any time without prior notice and shall

but all this can change at anytime

Hey Michelle,

Looks like we were posting at the same time;)

Hola! :D

I was trying to alter the font, so tough to read.

To everyone else reading this, it looks like all of the above info is going to post at the RCCL site soon. It will be at the RCCL site under "Price Guarantee Program" which will be under "What To Know Before You Go"

After seeing your post I decided to check the price on my cruise on the AOS on Sept 13.

The price had dropped $300 pp. I made the call and they made the adjustment and sent me an updated booking invoice.

Thanks again,

dj

Hola! :D

I was trying to alter the font, so tough to read.

To everyone else reading this, it looks like all of the above info is going to post at the RCCL site soon. It will be at the RCCL site under "Price Guarantee Program" which will be under "What To Know Before You Go"

It's there now......http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...PriceGuarantee

THANKS Michele & Sue:)....I know it's probably just semantics, but it is curious that they didn't spell that out on their web-site while they seemed to make it very clear to TA's.

Maybe they are making it easier for the TA's to have the answers for their clients, it beats us all calling to get clarification on one point or another. :D

I've read through the thread, and haven't seen anyone raise this OBC "type" issue.

Just a few months ago we had a round-and-round about the refundability of OBC. The way I understood that to finally come down was that there are two "kinds" of On-Board-Credit.

OBC that is essentially cash-equivalent, such as refunds from canceled excursions, or gifts from your TA, or in this case, credit from a price drop, would be refundable.

But, OBC from non-cash equivalent sources, such as on-board booking, group amenity points, other marketing incentive type awards, would not be refundable.

And, to further enhance the bottom line, OBC would be used in the order of refundable type first, and non-refundable type last. Of course the purpose for this was to put the line in the position of having to refund as little money as possible, and if you could not spend all your OBC, by using the non-refundable portion last, you were less likely to get any cash back.

So the question of the day is: Is this policy still in effect?

The ramifications of the new Price Drop Guarantee policy in conjunction with the OBC spending order policy serves to further reduce the value of OBC awarded as incentives.

This may not give too many people heartburn (if they even realize it is happening), but if these policies are still in effect as I remember them being, we should at least be aware of this additional consequence of the new price guarantee policy.

Theron

Archived