Nanaimo Harbour Ferry

Yumagal

I confess that I am not familiar with it but am familiar with the area in which it runs. You should pick it pretty much where your tender comes in and on a nice day it would be a very pleasant excursion. There are some Nanaimo residents that often post here so they will be able to provide more information. In the mean time here is a link for your convenience:

http://www.nanaimoharbourferry.com/

From the Tender dock the wee Ferry's docking location ( According to their website) is to the the North. (your Right) off the dock and a paved walkway goes alll the way. It is as I recall about 10 mins.

But it was not in operation when I was last there.

The ferry service that you're referring to (the pickle boat) is sporadic to my knowledge. They seem to keep having issues with their docking space etc. I'm also not sure when you're going to be in town but, they are seasonal.

The Nanaimo harbour is very compact. It can be easily admired from shore by just strolling along the seawall however, if you're looking to get out on the water then two really nice little trips are -

1) Dinghy Dock Pub. The Pub is floating on the water, just across the harbour from where you tender. There is a little boat that will take you there and back and runs very regularly and frequently. I believe the cost for the ferry alone is about $8. Once you arrive at the Pub you have also arrived at Protection Island. This is a tiny little island that is very easy to walk around and provides a really easy stroll pre-or-post- Pub visit. So, even if you don't want to go to the pub, you can take the ferry and have a wander around the Island. There are no vehicles there - residents get around on golf cart. The boat is clearly identified as the Dinghy Dock Ferry and is based at the far south end of the sea walk/marina.

2) Newcastle Island. This is a larger Island again, just across the harbour. It has a wonderful walking path completely around it that would take you about 3 hours if you are fit. Again, no vehicle are allowed. There is tent camping allowed on the Island but, other than one hall that I believe is rented out for weddings and other functions, there are no buildings of note. The views of the mainland from the one side of the Island are beautiful on a sunny day. At certain times, if the tide is right, you can actually walk across from Newcastle to Protection Islands! There is a ferry service that runs from the North end of town to Newcastle.

I'm sure that there will be loads of Nanaimo Ambassadors at the dock to greet you when you arrive and anyone will be happy to point you in the right direction. We love cruisers here in Nanaimo! So, use the above as a guideline then just ask when you get off the tender. I'm so pleased that more and more cruisers are choosing to visit Nanaimo and to spend time here rather than head off on excursions. As a cruiser myself I can vouch for the wonderful features that our City has to offer and can assure you that it rivals any of the ports of call that I've visited.

Please feel free to post again if there's anything else I can help with.

• 3 weeks later...

We are a group of 4 ladies getting to spend the day in Nanaimo on October 6 - getting off the Mercury. We do not want any of the shore excursions that are offered. How do you suggest that we spend our day? We have all been to Sydney and Victoria and LOVE Vancouver Island! None of us have been to Nanaimo. Thanks, Suzy

We are a group of 4 ladies getting to spend the day in Nanaimo on October 6 - getting off the Mercury. We do not want any of the shore excursions that are offered. How do you suggest that we spend our day? We have all been to Sydney and Victoria and LOVE Vancouver Island! None of us have been to Nanaimo. Thanks, Suzy

First of all slip over to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21361138#post21361138

We are all on the same cruise and there are some idea's there.

Car rental would be another option.

Sounds like a great getaway, Suzy. In addition to the things I've already mentionned in the post above (Newcastle Island, Protection Island, shops, cafes etc.) you might want to try out one of the many spas in town. There is one in the Coast Bastion hotel, right at the harbourfront. It's called the Pure Oxygen Bar & Spa. They've got a fantastic view over the harbour, a number of treatments and quite a few technicians. You can check out their website and, maybe make an appointment if you all want to make sure you can get in together? http://www.pureoxygenbarspa.ca/

Okay, so, I've covered walking, eating, shopping, drinking, spas and ferries - is there anything else you can think if that you might like to do or want information on?

Yes, you could hire a car and take an easy drive out to Coombs and Cathedral Grove but, I'm sure that was offered as an excursion and since you weren't tempted by any excursions I'm thinking you'd like to just settle in and explore the town a bit. If you do want to go further afield then, please ask me for more info? In my completely biased opinion though, you have no need to go anywhere that requires a car to have a good time in Nanaimo!

Oh, there is also a fantastic market that sets up at the Harbourfront, just for you cruisers! It usually runs every Friday anyway but, they set up for all the cruise ships as well. We've got no less than 8 coming through in the next couple of weeks. There are some really high-quality handcrafted items for sale. The Friday market also sells artisan cheeses etc. but, maybe they don't go into the food too much for the "cruise" markets. I can assure you, if you like hand-crafted quality souveniers - you won't be disappointed. I do most of my Christmas shopping at these markets so, they're not just for tourists.

Have a great cruise! We're heading out for a Canada/New England one ourselves on the 8th of October so, we're all probably feeling just as excited!!!!! Woooohoooooo........

p.s. It's Sidney, not Sydney.

Thanks for all your help. I will have to share the info with the others. One just wants to eat a "Nanaimo Bar" in Nanaimo! We are really getting excited about our girlie adventure.

Thanks again, Suzy

When last there on a cruise there was a realtor office that gave Naniamo bars away. Check with the "Hosts" on the dock when you tender in.

Archived