Are There Any Cruises That Do Not Go Out of the USA? Please (more info inside)

After all, they would not be "docking" in other places, so it should be allowed right? LOL

Depends on how snitty your ex-husband feels like being. If you take them into international waters, it could possibly be interpreted as taking them out of the US.... I know my ex would've been vindictive enough to haul me into court once he figured that out.....

Ok, Thank You so much for your informative answers! I understand about ships being flagged in other places.

Now, are there any cruise lines that offer the "Cruise to Nowhere" besides NCL? I'd love to be on a RCCL Cruise to Nowhere, but I did not see them on their website! After all, they would not be "docking" in other places, so it should be allowed right? LOL

My boys are 11 and 13, if I want them to be on RCCL I just might have to wait until they are 18! :)

OH and BY THE WAY, I LOVE Royal Caribbean Trivia!! I always win that junk. I excel in the "Name that Tune" (Romantic Movies), 80's Trivia, Movie Trivia, and my husband did well in Sports Trivia. :) :)

You might want to ask on the NCL board about the Hawaii cruises. However, you are in San Diego and I would assume that you can find reasonable airfare to the Hawaii from there. Heck, Hawaii isn't that bad is it? As far as the last poster, regarding international waters, maybe I don't know. Depends how picky the X is, Although since there is no gambling on the Pride of America (per other posters), possibly they don't sail into international waters. I love RCL but as far as not cruising until they are both 18, forget it. Figure it out with your X and enjoy nice vacations with your boys for the next 5 and 7 years. When they're 18, they might not want to go and if they do, they will want you take their friends along too... another set of problems.

Federal law does not allow cruise lines to travel within the US, unless certain very strict conditions are met (for example, the ship must have been built in the US...it must never in it's entire history have been owned by a foriegn company...the crew must be US citizens).

You might try a river cruise on one of the major US rivers.

NCL also has one ship in Hawaii.

Yes, those ships do look small and expensive.

A cruise to nowhere might be an option, if I can find a nice cruise line that does them. Thanks!

Carnival and NCL have cruises to nowhere, but I don't see any for Royal Caribbean.

The NCL Star leaves from Los Angeles, so that might be an option for you ...

Cruise line: Norwegian Ship name: Norwegian Star Ship rating: cruisestar4.gif2_8_NCLLOGO_CP1_f.GIF

Ports of call: Los Angeles, California; Los Angeles, California 2009 departures: November 21

Federal law does not allow cruise lines to travel within the US, unless certain very strict conditions are met (for example, the ship must have been built in the US...it must never in it's entire history have been owned by a foriegn company...the crew must be US citizens).

You might try a river cruise on one of the major US rivers.

NCL also has one ship in Hawaii.

Sort of........not sure of the entire history of NCL America's current ship and the previous ships, but the ships were not built in the US.....not completely anyways.........Pride of America was partially constructed in Mississippi for another company, which went bankrupt. The hull was towed to Bremerhaven, Germany to be completed by Meyer-Werfft.........builder of their newer ships. Pride of Aloha, now the Norwegian Sky was built in Germany, which was originally to be the Costa Olympia. Pride of Hawaii was also built in Germany, and now is the Norwegian Jade. So, none of the NCL America ships were truly built in the US. BTW, all of the above data came from Wikipedia.

Sort of........not sure of the entire history of NCL America's current ship and the previous ships, but the ships were not built in the US.....not completely anyways.........Pride of America was partially constructed in Mississippi for another company, which went bankrupt. The hull was towed to Bremerhaven, Germany to be completed by Meyer-Werfft.........builder of their newer ships. Pride of Aloha, now the Norwegian Sky was built in Germany, which was originally to be the Costa Olympia. Pride of Hawaii was also built in Germany, and now is the Norwegian Jade. So, none of the NCL America ships were truly built in the US. BTW, all of the above data came from Wikipedia.

Sort of...By law, ships do need to be built in the US...however...

It is possible to get a variation, but it litterally takes an Act of Congress. If a non US-built ship wants to sale US-only itineraries, then you have to get a lobbyist to get a member of congress to tack on an exemption to some currently pending legislation.

This is a somewhat routine occurance, but can still take several years to get an exemption. Often, it gets tacked onto some act, that ends up failing, so it can take a while.

Archived