Beach near port

newtravelers

Hi,

Is there a nice beach near or close to the port? Planning on doing the tour, but just in case I decide on a beach day, what are the options?

Thanks

The closest to the docks is the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor...

http://www.floridastateparks.org/forttaylor/

Once you are off the docks it's six blocks south on Whitehead to Southard, then a block or two over to the entrance. All told, maybe a mile.

Pjk

There is a "closer" beach, but it will cost you. If you go to the concierge in the gift shop of the dockside Westin Hotel, you can buy day tickets to stay on their beautiful private beach on Sunset Key. The cost includes the boat over and back to the island. The cost is rather high...I think it is about $50 per person. If you can swing that, you will be at one of the prettiest, but small beaches in Key West.

Otherwise, I agree that Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is a good choice. However, it seems to me that the walk is more than a mile.

I thought you could only go to Sunset Key through the Westin if you were staying there?

We have never been guests of the Westin, but we have taken the boat over to the restaurant many times. This is just a guess, but Westin probably needs the extra business. If you do eat at Sunset Key, you are not permitted anywhere else on the island. You cannot wander around and admire the beautifully landscaped and maintained grounds.

Also, I read that Westin has to allow some public access to the beach, but they can set the rules and the cost. So they do have a high price which helps pay the boat over and back. They also limit the number of public, non-Westin guests who can use the beach each day.

I can tell you that beach is lovely.

We have never been guests of the Westin, but we have taken the boat over to the restaurant many times. This is just a guess, but Westin probably needs the extra business. If you do eat at Sunset Key, you are not permitted anywhere else on the island. You cannot wander around and admire the beautifully landscaped and maintained grounds.

Also, I read that Westin has to allow some public access to the beach, but they can set the rules and the cost. So they do have a high price which helps pay the boat over and back. They also limit the number of public, non-Westin guests who can use the beach each day.

I can tell you that beach is lovely.

This is Sunset Key which the locals say was named "Sunset" because it blocks the sunset from Key West...

http://sunsetkeyisland.com/

Key West would be above the island and the shuttle brings you from there, around to the left and docks at the small pier. The restaurant, Lattitudes, is somewhere just off the beach at the lower left and for dinner you can eat among lighted torches and end up spending $200.00 or more for two. It's nice for a Sunday brunch.

Pjk

• 4 weeks later...
By any chance do you pass the CVS in key west while walking there? I was thinking of picking up some drinks to bring with us.

Close. To get to the park you walk up Whitehead. If you cut over one block to Duval on Front there is a CVS on the corner. But since they sell drinks at the park, I'm not sure you will be allowed to take stuff in, or if there are people there checking.

Pjk

You can definitely bring drinks and food into the park.

A few things about walking there:

You can also walk by cutting though Truman Annex, since the road angles a bit and makes it slightly shorter.

There's still about 5-10 minutes of walking once you pay at the gate before you're really at the beach. Still, the whole walk is about 15-20 minutes.

It's a great beach/park.

Archived