Viking Legend-Just returned

ddean52

Leaving in two weeks for our cruise on the Legend, so I'm trying to keep an open mind. Many of the problems reported, both mechanical and those concerning staff, seem to me as ones that might be expected on a new ship with a new crew. I'm sure that the Viking parent company must be as frustrated as anyone with the ship's reported poor mechanical performance to date, but I don't think that such problems are uncommon. The staffing concerns as expressed on this forum are likely due to individuals that are new to their jobs and still learning to function as a team. My husband and I discussed these possibilities before going ahead and booking our trip in May and decided that the itinerary and the 2 for 1 pricing would counterbalance other minor inconveniences we might encounter along the way. Having been to China back in 2004 when flooding along the Yangtze shut down all river traffic through the Three Gorges Dam area, we quickly learned to be flexible. Unfortunately there are always individuals who would rather complain than to make the best of the situation at hand.....hopefully we won't find too many of those folks on our upcoming cruise on the Legend.

there are always individuals who would rather complain than to make the best of the situation at hand.....hopefully we won't find too many of those folks on our upcoming cruise on the Legend

So am i one of those folks who would rather complain? LOLLLLL

Dean:rolleyes::eek::cool:

I would like to chime in. We took the Vienna to Amsterdam Viking cruise about three years ago and it was wonderful. Regarding the sun deck, it was heavily used the entire trip. It all has to do with river height which was never a problem that year and of course, the weather. We even had a sun deck pool on that boat, though it was a bit cool for that.

Regarding your choice of side trips... if you are a WWII buff, which I am, I strongly recommend the Documentation Center. There wasn't enough interest on board for a group so we did it on our own. We took a streetcar to get there from the center of town and then a taxi back. We were there for 3.5 hours until it closed and could have stayed another hour.

The mini train was OK and the music museum is unique to be sure. The main attraction for me in Rudesheim was the Drosselgasse. You will also pass what remains of the bridge at Remagen near there. Watch for it if you are a WWII buff. We have since been back to Remagen on our own and toured their museum which is inside the remaining towers on the left bank.

Loved the Residenz in Wurzberg

I am not sure what your itinerary includes but Vienna is wonderful, the concert was fun and also again on our own we went to the Prater ferris wheel, site of an important speech from the Orson Welles film, The Third Man.

Hope this helps.

We are scheduled to take the Legend August 2010. Hope you will update whenyou return from your trip. I have seen 2 reviews with problems with the ship and one positive. Hope yours goes well.

Not to worry!!!! Let us say the legend was down for repairs (worst case) and you had to be bused the entire trip, in my view, you would still have a great time, you cant help but have a great time! The cities, the people, the local food and wine!!! Even the Viking Co. can not ruin such things!!! BTW if it seems I have a issue with the Viking Co.,...well i do. on many levels I feel the Co. is poorly run and and penny pinching....in ways that a few other river cruise companies are not!

Archived