St Maarten/Martin Beach Question

jascruise

We are not great beachgoers but would like to spend a couple of hours at abeach next week while in St Maarten/Martin on (the) Century.

Anyone have any specific recommendations?

Is Great Bay Beach decent? I had read somewhere that because of its proximity to the harbor, it might not be especially clean? How's Maho Beach?

Thanks in advance.

Orient Beach is nice for people watching.... icon_wink.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

We went to Dawn Beach on the Dutch side. It's maybe 10-15 minutes from the Pier via taxi. Real nice beach & with all of the normal amenities (i.e. restaurant, bathroom, beach chair rentals, etc.). The beach is good for either snorkeling or swimming & is not too big nor too small.

RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas /1990 / Eastern Caribbean

HAL's Rotterdam V / 1993 /Alaska

Princess' Royal Princess/ 1998 / Baltic Sea

Celebrity's Century / August 2003 / Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity's Mercury / 11/26/04 / Mexican Riviera -Honeymoon Cruise

When you went to Dawn Beach how much did the cab ride cost? Did you pay to enter the beach and rent chairs? Was there shade or umbrellas? Did you have to pre arrange the cab back, or were cabs passing by? Last time we were in St. Martin we took a trip to the French side and would rather not waste the time going there. I would love to know of a good snorkel beach on the Dutch side so I can have time left to go shopping after the beach. Would appreciate the info.

carol KC

At the pier in St. Martin prices are posted for cab rides to all beaches, depending on number of people in a cab. Return price is same rate. We go to Orient beach. We love the beach and there are lots of Bar/Restuarants on the beach where you can rent chairs (about $20 for 2 chairs & umbrella) get a drink in open air bar or at your chair on the beach - same for a nice lunch ranging anywhere from a sandwich to very fresh seafood. We've gone to either the Boo Boo Jam or Kakao bar areas - neither of which is in the "nude" area. But even in the non-nude areas you'll see a few nudes walking the beach. By far most people will be fully clothed. I have some pictures at http://home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/

We've been to both Dawn and Orient and like Orient both. We usually head out early, spend a few hours walking the beach swimming and lunching, then head back to go shopping.

Save your snorkling for St. John's. It is not great off the beaches of St. Maarten. We would also rec Orient Beach. Before the horrible hurricane in the early 90's Maho was the most beautiful place on my earth. It is still nice but not nearly the heaven it used to be.

Have a wonderful time.

PS We did the America's Cup in Dec. and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. It was certainly the highlight of our Century cruise to steer Dennis Conner's Stars and Stripes around the QEII, pass the Century and sail to anchor. I am a woman in my late 50's and I have never felt like I did when I was at the helm of the Stars and Stripes.

Give it a consideration...you can beach anywhere.

We went to Dawn Beach after we did the America's Cup Regatta in the morning. Great little beach. Wonderful snorkeling. We rented an umbrella and 2 chairs for $10. Our taxi driver said he'd be back for us, but wasn't there at the designated time, so we grabbed a taxi ride back to the ship with another family.

Hope this helps.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;26;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail Splendour of the Seas 3/26/05!

Century 3/20/04

Horizon 4/03

Golden Princess 3/30/02

Grandeur 4/01

Holiday 3/92

Great Bay Beach is very easy, directly in the middle of the shopping area, and it's clean!

No matter what else we may do ... at least for a while we go to ......

Everyt'ing Cool ~On-Our-Own~ (click for directions, review, and drink coupon site)

There are other places along Great Bay Beach as well. Happy Sailing! icon_cool.gif

We've done "Everything's Cool" a couple times. It's just down the street from the tender off loading dock. You can see the ship from the beach. They also give you tickets for a drink and a snack. It's easy, close, safe, and clean.

Big Red Boat- 08/1996

Inspiration- 08/1997

Monarch of the Sea 08/1998

Fascination- 08/1999

Zenith- 08/2000

Zenith- 08/2001

Galaxy- 05/2002

Zenith- 09/2003

Miracle- 06/2004 Can't Wait!!!

When we were in St. Maartan last fall there were five other ships in port at that time. We had to drop anchor and were tendered into the main shopping area. The beach there was packed. It looked like Coney Island, NY. We took a snorkel trip to the French side and it was the worst trip ever. With all the other ships, they had so many people going to the same little Island, Pinel Island, that the snorkel area was body to body and there wasn't a fish to be seen. We were taken by bus and went by the Orient beach, but never got a chance to see it. We are going again, but are looking for a nice quiet beach to snorkel. Would love to hear more info about Dawn Beach. Are there places to rent chairs and umbrellas. Any rest rooms and restaurants, we have our own snorkel gear but would like to have chairs and shade. Anyone have any more info

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are there places to rent chairs and umbrellas. Any rest rooms and restaurants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Dawn Beach we paid $10 (total) for 2 chairs and an umbrella. There is a bar there, and I think they had food. There is a restroom at the bar. Great snorkeling. I made sandwiches on the Century and we took them with us. English muffins, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs. Also took some yogurt, spoons, and apples. Had a GREAT time there.

Michelle

Michelle, Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am looking for. I have been on ten cruises now, and I think you can have just as nice a time if you find places to go on your own, plus it save a lot of money when you are going as a family.

Carol KC

PSR and CAC104.

Dawn beach is along the cost East of the port. Not sure how many miles but I don't think it is more than 5. A nice little beach. We were a bit worried when we arrived because the parking lot was pretty empty and the first thing we passed was a closed restraunt, but down at the beach there was a bar and a grill that was open as well as changing rooms and a rental guy.

We rented a car. Most of the rental companies were asking $60 a day but we negotiated with a company at the pier to get it for $45. Since we went with another cruise critic couple, that made it $11 a person which is hard to beat. Much cheaper than taxi since we also drove around the island, had coffee and pastry on the French side and visited the fort.

Entry to Dawn beach was free. It was pretty quiet - maybe about 15 other people but we were there on a day when there were only two ships in port (the other one being Star Clipper which only has ~100 people). Lovely beach. We were there when it was rough due to a tropical storm (which also affected Orient beach) so we couldn't snorkel. We were told that was unusual as it is normally very calm.

Next to the changing rooms/bathrooms and the bar/grill, there was a large tree. Since we were going to be there only a couple of hours we spread our beach towels under the shade of the tree but the "chair mon" rents chairs and umbellas as others have mentioned. He also rents snorkeling gear.

We had a little snack from the grill and beers from the bar.

Dawn beach has everything you need unless you want the more exciting rentals like a wave rider.

Hi folks,

Signman, we were on the America's Cup excursion in February. They race several different boats. We were on a Canadian boat and competed against the Stars and Stripes. My wife was hesitant to go because of the pictures she has seen of the boats heeling, but she had a great time and is ready to do it again. We will likely do so on the Back to Back, but have not made up our mind for sure yet. It can only be booked through the ship. It was top notch all the way-the entire staff was great and entertaining. Perhaps the best excursion in the Caribbean. It was something like $89, but I figure that is a heckuva lot less than Phyllis could have spent in the shops in 3 hours icon_biggrin.gif.

When we were in Ocho Rios, we went on a ship tour that visited a plantation and then Dunn's River Falls. We really enjoyed it. You get swamped with the vendors after the Falls, but simply ignore them.

Well, gotta get to rooting my beloved Yankees on-they're down three, so better get with it.

OOOEEE icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Bob and Phyllis

Hands down Orient beach if you want a St. Tropez type of experience. For sheer beauty - Bay Rouge. There are chairs to rent, but it is somewhat barebones - no bathrooms, but there are drinks and food. For calm waters - Friar's bay. The beaches on the Dutch side aren't so great - get out of there.

Liz

Thanks new_cruiser! We were thinking about renting a car in St. Maarten earlier this year, but the pick-up seemed a little confusing, so forgot about it. Dawn Beach still sounds good. By the way, we're from Folsom, CA...small world (seems to be lots of us from the Sacramento area on CC!).

Penny

Archived