Adult ordering from children's menu

gargoyle999

That would be a bad idea as the kids menu is full of foods that are terrible for you. Fried chicken, mac and cheese burgers ect. . .

You'd be better off ordering off of the regular menu.

My daughter was happy with the adult menu when she was three. There's lots of stuff on there for people who aren't adventurous. And you can order lots of courses and just not eat the stuff that you didn't like. You're not paying so it's ok to order something that you're not sure you'll like and just not eat it if you don't like it.

It may be okay to order something you're unsure of, and then if you don't like it, get something else. It is NOT (IMO) okay to order a bunch of things intending to waste most of it just so that you can have a little bit...

Pretty sure there are some starving children in the world that would love to have the food that gets wasted by people ordering things they dont know if they will like, then throwing it away. Just my opinion. I never order food that I am unsure about, because if I dont like it, I feel guilty when they throw it away.

I feel the same way. My husband will eat it though, if I don't like it. So no wasted food at our table. :)

It's that type of thinking that's led to obesity in this country. Clear your plate missy.

I'm fairly sure that the extra food carnival makes and doesn't serve is going to go to waste regardless of if I order it or not.

It's good to try new things and if you don't like it there's always somthing else.

It may be okay to order something you're unsure of, and then if you don't like it, get something else. It is NOT (IMO) okay to order a bunch of things intending to waste most of it just so that you can have a little bit...

Have to agree. I really hate to see how so much food is deliberately wasted on cruise ships. Can't help but wonder what the crew must think of us. I've spent time in countries where starvation is a reality. It changes how you look at this. I don't care who paid or didn't pay for what is wasted - the deliberate waste of food really bothers me.

I'm fairly sure that the extra food carnival makes and doesn't serve is going to go to waste regardless of if I order it or not.

I'm fairly sure that the extra food Carnival makes and doesn't serve gets re-purposed (either on the buffet or the crew mess). However, once it has been SERVED and wasted, it can't be re-used. Moreover, they determine the amount they make based on a record of how much was ordered on previous cruises. If people only order what they actually intend to eat, then that amount can go down.

OMG. Have you tasted the adult desserts or are you just going by the name? There was never a night that I didn't have something on the dessert menu that sounded good. They are all awesome. When all else fails the chocolate melting cake is an option every night and most people order that. My favorite is the bitter n blanc and the grand marnier souffle. Those names don't sound very appetizing but they are sure gooooood.

that's all well and good, and i've had both... but honestly, i'm not much one for sweets or desserts in general, and sometimes a sherbet or ice cream as the dessert was preferable to me... and oddly enough, when ordering an ice cream, the kids get the option for a banana split, and adults don't.

imo, don't poo-poo the desires of others (for the likes of a banana split) just because they'd rather that than warm chocolate melting cake or the like.

i've had w.c.m.c., and just like other chocolate cake, it's almost a bit too rich / sweet for my tastes :)

I'm fairly sure that the extra food Carnival makes and doesn't serve gets re-purposed (either on the buffet or the crew mess). However, once it has been SERVED and wasted, it can't be re-used. Moreover, they determine the amount they make based on a record of how much was ordered on previous cruises. If people only order what they actually intend to eat, then that amount can go down.

I'm sure that the amount of food wasted would be considered enormous by the hungry. But on a percentage basis, I'd doubt it is very much at all. Carnival's business forte is cost control. And their cost control is 99% behind the scenes. I'm sure that every meal served on every ship is logged into their computers and using the "Law of large numbers," they can tell within a plate or 2 of exactly what they will need each meal. Their data base runs into the hundreds of MILLIONS of meals served, that makes the "LOLN" extremely accurate.

Dan, I'm sure they can predict tremendously accurately how many will be ordered. However, if they are ordered and WASTED, there is not much Carnival can do about it. That's what I have a problem with. If people only ordered what they actually eat, Carnival would quickly be able to use their wizardry to adjust the number of meals prepared.

thanks for who ever posted that link to the menus, it really helped. We have 2 super super picky eaters, 1 who will some times try things and 1 who loves new and excotic flavors...this is my 12 year old who tried escargot on his first cruise and loved it! But DH and DS (13) are kid menu eaters..too.

Do they have a regular garden/tossed salad available at dinner? Or only the selection on either menu?

I just had gastric bypass so this is good information to know we can order from the kids menu. Thanks for asking and thanks for all the good answers.

Chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and burgers are not your best choices right now! Stick with the adult menu, seafood or chicken dishes are the best way to get your protein in. Separate the amount you know you can eat, push the rest to the side, and just eat "your dinner!". Works for me, 7 years after gastric bypass.

[quote name='Drew B']Dan, I'm sure they can predict tremendously accurately how many will be ordered. However, if they are ordered and WASTED, there is not much Carnival can do about it. That's what I have a problem with. If people only ordered what they actually eat, Carnival would quickly be able to use their wizardry to adjust the number of meals prepared.[/quote]

What is wasted is ground up and fed to the fishes. Waste is a characteristic of FREE FOOD. The waste that bugs me is in the buffet. Where people need sideboards for all the grub they PILE on the plate. From their immense size, they likely COULD eat all they have piled on, but it will be long cold and thrown away for that reason. But then, with their morbid obesity, maybe they continue shoving it down their necks after it has gone cold. Its their ASHD, nor mine.

Archived