Cajun French (Acadian) Culture tours in Nova Scotia?

My husband and I are looking for tours that would include history about the Cajun French that were living in Nova Scotia and then migrated to Louisiana. Not really sure where to start with this search. We both have French, great grandparents that were from Nova Scotia so we would love to learn more about their culture.

I am sorry that I have no idea where you would find such tours (maybe Google), but along the Harbour Walk in Halifax they do have a statue commemorating the Acadian migration. That being said, other than all the government signs in both languages, and a French tour at the Citadel, I saw very little Francophone presence in Halifax.

There is a large Acadian society down in the Yarmouth area of Nova Scotia. A number of my mother's brothers and sisters married spouses of Acadian descent and I have cousins who are active in the society. If you do a Google search I am sure you will come up with some contacts.:)

If your ship offers a tour to the Annapolis Valley that includes Grand Pre that would be of interest to you. In Grand Pre there is a memorial to the Acadians who were deported by the British in 1755. Some of them did make their way to Louisiana and became the Cajuns. There is a memorial church there with exhibits.

There are three Acadian areas in the province:

one is down between Shelburne and Yarmouth. There is a restored Acadian Village in Middle West Pubnico.

A second area is between Yarmouth and Digby. It is worthwhile visiting Church Point. It has a wonderful wooden church. There is also a small Acadian University. Universite Sainte Anne.

The third area is in Cape Breton in the Cheticamp area. Of interest here is the traditional rug hooking. There is a co-operative of rug hookers with a shop and display. There are restaurants with traditional Acadian cooking.

On a cruise it is way too far to get to the first two areas from Halifax. It would be possible to drive to Cheticamp from a port stop in Sydney.

http://www.destination-ns.com/forms/guide.asp

The above is where you can send for more information on Nova Scotia.

As the others have said do some google searches and you will learn more.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Nova Scotia. One of my favorite places to visit is Annapolis Royal. They have a Cajun heritage site and museum and also guides who are descendents who are happy to chat in Cajun French.

There is a big sign that lists the names of the families who were deported. If you can't get there in person perhaps you can GOOGLE it and check out the names.

The Acadian Society in Nova Scotia helps people find information and people do have reunions. It was a happy surprise to me on my first visit that some Acadians were able to flee and were not deported.

Annapolis Royal and the area is more than a day trip. You might want to plan a vacation up there as it is a fine place to visit. I have both stayed in B & B's and rented a cottage. You need a car. When in that area you can also explore the Bay of Fundy.

Good luck in your search!

About 40 minutes east of Halifax there is an Acadian settlement known as Chezzetcook. Many people forget that this is the only acadian region in the Halifax area. In West Chezzetcook there is an Acadian House Museum which is very much worth a visit. There is a very beautiful Church (St. Anselm's in the village as well). If you were to take the 207 route along the Shore there is the very scenic Lawrencetown Beaches before you arrive in West Chezzetcook. If you were to hire a small van or make your own tour, you could include the Eastern Passage Fisherman's Village and a must is Fish and Chips at Wharf Wraps. The absolute best fish and chips in the world!!!! From there proceed to Cow Bay and Rainbow Haven Beach for a visit before heading to Lawrencetwon and Chezzetcook. There is a quick way back to the city via the 107 Highway. Happy Journey

Archived