Voyager's Ray Solaire

shua22

I think it is appropriate to start a thread to mention just how unique a cruise director Ray is...

I just returned from 10 days on board and thought that the trip was enhanced by Ray's presence.

Each morning he produces a TV segment about the day's activities and port info - it's very entertaining. He does a segment interviewing various crew members "how do you do crew?"

He also did trivia every day. He MC's all the shows and performed a little himself the first night. He sings some show tunes and he has a puppet act with one of the social directors, Elsa. Very unique.

But the most special was the evening he had a show of his own. It is not to be missed. You will not ever see anything like it anywhere else.... it's worth more than the price of admission ($0!). He does something called black theater magic that is fabulous and also some show tunes. But the stars of the sho are his hand made puppets -- it's very special and I think that you'll just never find a cruise director that puts as much energy and unique talent into a trip as Ray -- thus the shout out.

I think it is appropriate to start a thread to mention just how unique a cruise director Ray is...

I just returned from 10 days on board and thought that the trip was enhanced by Ray's presence.

Each morning he produces a TV segment about the day's activities and port info - it's very entertaining. He does a segment interviewing various crew members "how do you do crew?"

He also did trivia every day. He MC's all the shows and performed a little himself the first night. He sings some show tunes and he has a puppet act with one of the social directors, Elsa. Very unique.

But the most special was the evening he had a show of his own. It is not to be missed. You will not ever see anything like it anywhere else.... it's worth more than the price of admission ($0!). He does something called black theater magic that is fabulous and also some show tunes. But the stars of the sho are his hand made puppets -- it's very special and I think that you'll just never find a cruise director that puts as much energy and unique talent into a trip as Ray -- thus the shout out.

We met Ray 15 years ago on another cruise line. Had sailed with him MANY MANY times, and NEVER missed his shows. The man is a brilliant performer. We were so thrilled to learn that he had transfered to Regent.... Had the pleasure of sailing with him a number of months ago.

Hope that he will be on other cruises that we are taking...DON'T MISS HIS PUPPET SHOW !!~iT'S A WINNER. Aside from which ,he is an absolutely fantastic person.

It is funny. I have read nothing but raves about Ray. My experience was different. I went to his show because I heard it was so marvelous, and my friend and I left about half way through. It is not that he isn't talented...he is, and his production values are high, it was not our thing.

However, I did run into him and had a couple of affirmative comments about the show, and he just looked at me, said Thank you, but with a look in his eyes that said "of course it was good" and walked away....no chit chat, no explanation that perhaps he had a commitment he had to get to...just left.

That is so unusual for a Voyager employee, it left me with a bad feeling. Also, never saw him around the ship.

It is funny. I have read nothing but raves about Ray. My experience was different. I went to his show because I heard it was so marvelous, and my friend and I left about half way through. It is not that he isn't talented...he is, and his production values are high, it was not our thing.

However, I did run into him and had a couple of affirmative comments about the show, and he just looked at me, said Thank you, but with a look in his eyes that said "of course it was good" and walked away....no chit chat, no explanation that perhaps he had a commitment he had to get to...just left.

That is so unusual for a Voyager employee, it left me with a bad feeling. Also, never saw him around the ship.

Same experience for us! Seems to be a bit arrogant.

It may also be easy to attract older people but Ray is definitely not an appropriate cruise director for the younger ones. We are in the 30s and had him on the Asia-Pacific Tour last year...

I also just returned from the 10 day Baltic cruise with Ray and did not find him arrogant at all. I am not a puppet person and did not go to his show but saw him and his puppets on the opening evening. Puppets aren't my thing.

However, I did attend trivia as much as possible and found him to be entertaining and engaging. We spoke with him several times at tea and around the ship -- every time he was friendly and personable.

We found him to be much, much friendlier than the cruise director we had on the Navigator in 2007.

Ray is one of the best I have ever seen.He is from a mold that they just don't make anymore.I thought I Wouldn't find anyone comparable to MR. Barry Hopkins,but Ray is his match.His talent and love of what he does is just amazing he makes a wonderful cruise even better.

Archived