Where 2 stay in Galveston on New Years Eve?

satinsadie

We are ending our cruise on New Years Eve, and not flying out till New Years Day, where's a good, reasonable place to stay in Galveston? I saw some interesting events taking place at Moody Gardens, or would we be better off near the seawall? Thanks for your help.:)

We are staying in Galveston for New Years Eve, (1 night) when we return from our cruise. Any suggestions about where to stay, reasonably priced. Moody Gardens sounded like there were a lot of activities going on around there for the holiday, or would it be better to stay near the "seawall"? And how far from cruise port to these places? All comments appreciated!;)

Hi, Please help me, I have never been to Galveston and we are staying there for 1 night on New Years Eve (post cruise). I didn't know where to stay? I read about alot of events going on around Moody Gardens, but their hotel is booked. There is one nearby, next to a water park?. Would that be close enough to get there? Or should we stay near the Seawall? Also, can you tell me what the distances are from the cruise port to these places? Thanks!!!:)

Satinsadie,

If I were going to be in Galveston on New Year's Eve, I'd prefer to be at the Galvez or the Tremont. The Galvez is an old, historical hotel right on the seawall and the Tremont is located in the Strand historical district just a couple of blocks from the cruise terminal. I'm sure both will have some sort of celebration going on at their location plus, in respect to the Tremont, there are lots of restaurants/clubs on the Strand that are very close-by. There are also very nice B&B's on the island and I am sure their owners could direct you to any kind of New Year's celebration you desired.

Just moved out of the area and I already miss Galveston!

If it were me, I wouldn't limit myself to only two mentioned above. Not to say those are not nice, I just think Galveston has many hotels which are nice. Personally, I like staying on Seawall Blvd which is right across from the beach. I like taking beach walks, night and day, going to "The Spot" to eat and hang out. There are great places to people watch:eek:, lol, a variety of shops, etc.

Ask away if you have any questions....

Hi, Please help me, I have never been to Galveston and we are staying there for 1 night on New Years Eve (post cruise). I didn't know where to stay? I read about alot of events going on around Moody Gardens, but their hotel is booked. There is one nearby, next to a water park?. Would that be close enough to get there? Or should we stay near the Seawall? Also, can you tell me what the distances are from the cruise port to these places? Thanks!!!:)

Try the Galveston website to see available hotels: http://www.Galveston.com

there are several great hotels. We have stayed at aprox 8 different hotels during our cruises out of Galveston.

We like Harbor House(little pricey( for me) but not unreasonable).We have stayed at several of the Holiday Inns on the island and are using Holiday Inn resort again for our dec cruise. We have stayed at Howard Johnson OK but I choose not to book again(my own preference).

We have stayed at Quality Inn (not bad) and several more cant remember all the names at this time.

Commodore(older hotel smelled musty to me.)

Hopefully others can give you some more ideas as well.

Thanks for your ideas, no one mentioned staying near Moody Gardens for their celebration. I'm not even sure what it is? But it sounded good online. Is it far from the cruise terminals?

Thanks...

Moody Gardens is a complex that has a hotel and several other attractions like a rainforest exhibit,3 d movie theatre type attraction .it is nice if you have kids they will enjoy it. The hotel was too pricey for us but we did go to the other exhibits.

At Christmas time they have the place lit up real nice, not sure if the lights are still up on New Years though.

Think you can 'google" it and get the website to it.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Galveston, and Moody Gardens would also get my vote for a New Years stay. They will most likely have fireworks, and they have a light show (Christmas-themed) that continues into January. The restaurant on the top floor of the hotel, Shearn's, is fabulous...best restaurant in Galveston in my opinion. Good luck!

The nice ones are

SAN LUIS – Beautiful, Lively, in party place,

and heated pool and great pool area - Seawall

GALVEZ - Historical Beautiful and great brunch with pool - Seawall

MOODY GARDENS - Pool and lots and lots of activities (see web) – on Bay

TREMONT - Historical Beautiful no pool

but Galvez privileges – Downtown Strand area

HARBOR HOUSE - downtown on port - one block off Strand area,

great views, no pool, but all Galvez privileges -

with festive Greek restaurant down stairs - Greek band,

dancing and Belly dancing and two seafood restaurants next door

You would be happy with any of Hotels .:D

Its all relative to your interests and MO.

Remember the island is small and you can get anywhere in minutes

There will be public pay parties at all these hotels most likely,

except Harbor House. It does not have ballroom facilities

I appreciate all your ideas, and I'm glad to know that Galveston is small enough so that we can get around easily. We are staying on the seawall, forgot the name right now, but plan to visit Moody Gardens for the fireworks/festivities. It will be a nice way to end our cruise vacation.

Archived