Our do it yourself tour! Can it be done?

Yo Eleven

Well this will be our second visit to Saint Maarten. We did the ship guided tour last time and decided this time to go our own way and rent a car. We are traveling with our 2 year old and want to gear our trip around him. We arrive during the week at 9am via cruise ship. We hope to get off first. We rerserved our car to minimize any delays. We want to go to St Maarten Park (zoo). Then drive up towards orient beach and hit the butterfly farm. Once done there we continue to drive counterclockwise around the island to see the island and end up at Maho Beach to see the planes at the airport and have a pina colada and a bite to eat at the Sunset Bar. Then head back and skip the shopping except to pick up some special cigars. Then get on the ship. The ship is scheduled to leave at 6pm. Is this realistic and how much time can be spent at each stop to make it back to the ship in time? Thanks for your input.

It sounds doable so long as there is not a problem with traffic. You might also want to check (or maybe someone will know) the bridge closure times which could present a problem.

Thanks!

If someone can tell me when the bridge opens or how I can find out, that would be great.

Should be doable.

The limiting factor is when you have to return the car. Probably 5:00.

I'd be out of the Maho area by 3:00. Leave earlier if you'd like more comfort factor.

The bridge shouldn't be a problem:

Bridge Opening Hours:

The daily regularbridge opening hours during the off season from May to November are:

9.30 AM 11.30 AM and 17.30 PM for both outbound and inbound traffic.

The daily seasonalbridge opening hours for the John Sainsborough Lejuez Bridge at Simpson Bay from December to April are:

9.00 AM Outbound 11.00 AM Outbound 16.30 PM Outbound

9.30 AM Inbound 11.30 AM Inbound 17.30 PM Inbound

gary

gtaylor, thanks for posting the bridge schedule. We traveled around the island a few times during our week and the bridge was never a problem, I just remember the guy from the rental car place telling us to be careful about it because traffic can get really slow during those times.

By the way, it is a beautiful drive from Maho Beach back to the Pier. It goes over a very high bluff overlooking the water. Really nice view.

All car rental booths at the pier stress you must have the car back at 5 PM sharp. We have come back at 4:50 PM and they were waiting to close down; we were the last one in.

Point taken and noted.

But, what would actually happen if you arrive late? I am certain it has happened. Do you leave the keys at the booth and then split like a banana? :confused:

Wow this is interesting.

I heard back from a few places today and they ALL set me up with a reservation with price quotes and all. I didn't even give them a credit card. All I did told them what kind of car I was looking for and if they offer car seats.

They answered the questions and automatically set me up with reservations. Again, I didn't ask to reserve a car. They even gave me a confirmation number and told me they look forward to our visit. I did not ask to reserve the car but they just did it.

I hate to hog up reservations and cause grief for another party trying to get a car. Or is this standard that they just give a reservation to any Moe, Larry, and Curly who inquires about renting a car and I shouldn't worry about it? Do I look at it is a safety net if one place rolls out a family truckster with four bald tires and then I refuse and go to another place I have a reservation?

• 1 month later...

Archived