Towel Animals - such a waste!!!

Cruiser9-20-08

Towel animals are so cute but I don't unfold them and use them.

So, I imagine, most towel animals end up back in the laundry using soap, water and man power just so we can be amused when we return to our cabins.

I request that our cabin steward, please, not give us towel animals.

Am I being an old fogie or do you think it's an ecological good idea?

I know some cruisers tip extra to their cabin attendant for their extra effort but just give a reasonable tip instead!!!

Rick

no towel animal = no tip.

that's the way it is.

sorry if that ofends, I LOVE coming back from dinner to fnd the bed folded down, my pillow andblanket set out with a mint on my pillow and the towel animal.

On the Valor I thought they didnt make one...talk about seeing a grown women poot! BUT! it was there! a cute monkey hanging from the light.

To the OP- two solutions for you:

1) since you find them cute, but ecologically unwise, you can admire the creature, then unfold it and use it as your towel or

2) you can tell your cabin steward not to make any for you.

As for me, they are cute, and I always line them up and save them. I think I have a picture of every towel animal ever left in my cabin. I never thought about how clean towels are being laundered- so I guess I'll admire, and photograph them, then unfold them and use them as towels.

Like the mint on the pillow, they are just one more little "extra touch" that makes cruising special!

We are first time cruisers so haven't gotten to experience the towel animals. I was wondering if the towels were for us to actually use or if maybe they saved them and just put the same animal in a different room each night or something. I guess we will admire ours take pics then use them. Let the kids take turns on who gets to use each one.

I told my daughter about them and she is sooo excited and already has a list of animals to request! LOL :D

We are first time cruisers so haven't gotten to experience the towel animals. I was wondering if the towels were for us to actually use or if maybe they saved them and just put the same animal in a different room each night or something. I guess we will admire ours take pics then use them. Let the kids take turns on who gets to use each one.

I told my daughter about them and she is sooo excited and already has a list of animals to request! LOL :D

You can certainly take them apart and use them! I always waited until the last possible moment, before I did that. Made me feel like I was cruel to the animal...LOL!

So, I imagine, most towel animals end up back in the laundry using soap, water and man power just so we can be amused when we return to our cabins.

I know some cruisers tip extra to their cabin attendant for their extra effort but just give a reasonable tip instead!!!

Rick

Yes, you are unfortunately being an old fogie (you asked!). The towel animals are whimsical and sweet. We too miss our Great Dane while we're cruising, and the towel animals remind us of her even though they're only the size of her head. :D

They are cute - something to look forward to when we go to our room for the night - I always try to guess what 'creature' will be on my bed for the night!! You can also buy them now at the gift shop - small versions - so you an take them home and enjoy them there!! corkey Carol

Rick

I enjoy the towel animals and would be disappointed if I didn't have one. I always take a picture and then I unfold and use them.

no towel animal = no tip.

that's the way it is.

sorry if that ofends, I LOVE coming back from dinner to fnd the bed folded down, my pillow andblanket set out with a mint on my pillow and the towel animal.

On the Valor I thought they didnt make one...talk about seeing a grown women poot! BUT! it was there! a cute monkey hanging from the light.

Ditto here. Right before dinner on the last night, we gave our steward his tip and told him how much we enjoyed the "hidden" monkey and his service. When we returned from dinner, he had left a towel folded into a basket shaped like a heart. The bottom was lined with what looked like rose petals and held extra mints.

Oh my gosh-we once came back to our room.......late, after dinner to find the "do not disturb" sign in our lock and we could hear the tv on-we couldn't imagine what the heck was up-When we got in the cabin, there was a man with a towel head and pillow body, wearing my hubby's sunglasses and watch (arms were rolled towels) and holding the remote control..........we had not laughed that hard in a long time. It still makes us laugh to think about it. I agree that it is one of my favorite parts of the cruise-Right up there with getting the next day's agenda on your pillow and highlighting the things that you want to do, but never do, because you are at the pool all day. :)

Oh my gosh-we once came back to our room.......late, after dinner to find the "do not disturb" sign in our lock and we could hear the tv on-we couldn't imagine what the heck was up-When we got in the cabin, there was a man with a towel head and pillow body, wearing my hubby's sunglasses and watch (arms were rolled towels) and holding the remote control..........we had not laughed that hard in a long time. It still makes us laugh to think about it. I agree that it is one of my favorite parts of the cruise-Right up there with getting the next day's agenda on your pillow and highlighting the things that you want to do, but never do, because you are at the pool all day. :)

That must have been a site! I would have freaked out too! your attendant had talent! ha!ha! he put in some time for that! Corkey Carol

I too love towel animals. That and the little pillow mints really give my cruises that sparkle. I've read a lot on these boards about both of those going away so I'm terrified at what I'll find on our upcoming cruise.

Last year we had our first suite and we sort of played a game with the animals and our cabin steward. Each day we did something different with the animals - i.e. one would be reading a book when we left and when we got back he was watching TV with a new "buddy". The next day we would repeat and they would be joined by another "buddy" and by the end of the cruise our "critters" were having a party complete with drinks, cards etc. My sister called it our own little zoo.

I really hope the cruise lines don't really stop the little things. The mints and animals disginish them from being nothing more than a floating hotel.

Oh, boy, did I get an eye opener when I complained about Towel animals. Every response has been in favor of the Towels, so I stand corrected, and will welcome the critters on my bed!!!

Rick

Congratulations! You are officially retired of old fogie status and fully converted. As an initiation rite, though, we do expect a photo of yourself on your next cruise with a towel animal on your head. And you have to be smiling. :D

THAT is awesome! What cruise line?

sjb - would LOVE to see a picture of the towel man watching TV. Do you have any?

Archived