Military discounts

mringenoldus

I just received an email from an online agency that Carnival has offered special pricing for active and retired military.

We are booked on the Monarch but the Paradise makes the same trip on the same day. If the savings was substancial, I would change ships. However, my TA is closed today. I will need to act quickly because final payment is 5 days away!

Has anyone spoken to their TA or Carnival about the military discount?

my boyfriend is active military. We are booked in a guarantee at a savings of around $200 pp on the overall cost. I am not sure if that is just for active or if it includes retirees as well. But hopefully this helps in some way.

My husband is retired and both of my sons are active duty. According to the travel site, retired personnel may book one cabin and active duty members may book two.

If the price is cheaper - I may be able to move my two sons out of our quad cabin and into their own. This will make my husband happy.

We won't stop in San Diego, but since we live in Arizona and plan to go there in May - no significant loss.

I have sailed a number of Carnival ships but not the Paradise. It seems to get a good rating.

I booked our cruise through carnival and was able to use my son's military ID. I was told they had to be active military. we saved about $200.00 PP. We have other family members going, but they can't get the same rate because my son is not going with us. If he was going, we could get 2 cabins for the low military rate.

I just don't want people *expecting* to get a discount and it not go through. My husband is active duty military, and when I booked my cruise directly through Carnival this past Thursday, the customer service rep I spoke to asked if anyone in our party was military. Up until then, I didn't even know the military discounts applied. Anyway, she checked the computer, and there weren't and discounts available for the date's we were booking (March 28-April 2, Spring Break) on our particular ship (Imagination). So, it wouldn't hurt to ask, but don't automatically assume you'll be able to get the military rate. ;)

The date we are leaving is listed on the link the online TA provided. I just can't get a live human being to talk to today.

pasto5

I think you should call Carnival. Since you are past final payment, perhaps they will upgrade you or give you the difference in an onboard crdit. I have gotten some very generous upgrades from Carnival in the past.

I booked our cruise through carnival and was able to use my son's military ID. I was told they had to be active military. we saved about $200.00 PP. We have other family members going, but they can't get the same rate because my son is not going with us. If he was going, we could get 2 cabins for the low military rate.

How are getting the discount if you are going and your son is not??? The active or retired member MUST be sailing in order to get the discount. They WILL charge you the difference if they find you are not the military person. You need to call someone at Carnival and make sure the reservation is on the up and up and that the agent wasn't just trying to make a sale. When we book military rate we have to mail or fax a copy of the ID card and the person shown on the ID card MUST be one of the people sailing.

>I will be on the CONQUEST On The following:

waiting to confirm NCL on jan 22 to jan 30

jan 30 to feb 6

feb 6 to feb 13

>also see me on the Elation

feb 20 to feb 27

feb 27 to mar 6

see my pic here or goto www.bizzop.net and see my cruise scheduels at http://trip.hw5.com, just call my name > Bill

Past Cruise's:

Nov 04 Rhapsody

Nov 04 Elation

>I will be on the CONQUEST On The following:

waiting to confirm NCL on jan 22 to jan 30

jan 30 to feb 6

feb 6 to feb 13

>also see me on the Elation

feb 20 to feb 27

feb 27 to mar 6

see my pic here or goto www.bizzop.net and see my cruise scheduels at http://trip.hw5.com, just call my name > Bill ,, or call me at 405 231-2795

Past Cruise's:

Nov 04 Rhapsody

Nov 04 Elation

I just received an email from an online agency that Carnival has offered special pricing for active and retired military.

We are booked on the Monarch but the Paradise makes the same trip on the same day. If the savings was substancial, I would change ships. However, my TA is closed today. I will need to act quickly because final payment is 5 days away!

Has anyone spoken to their TA or Carnival about the military discount?

Military discount saved about 100pp and they accepted a fax of a dependent ID. The military rate also allows for if the service member's leave dates change, you can reschedule for no charge.

Both my sons are military and both are actually going on the cruise. In addition, my husband is retired Army.

The website that notified me about the discount said that the copy of the IDs will need to be faxed to the TA.

So while I have plenty of military IDs - I still can't speak to an agent anywhere!! I just have to be patient until tomorrow!

We booked our Carnival cruise through Cruise.com, and we got a military discount. FYI my husband is a Reservist (not active duty), and was able to get the discount. We booked in July and cruised in November. Carnival needed a fax of his military ID and he needed to show his ID when we embarked. Oh, and we got 2 rooms with the discount (1 adult and 1 child in each room). I want to say we saved about $120 pp, or thereabouts.

SEA U ONBOARD

FYI, I have spoken to Carnival several times when I made my reservations. They know my son is not going with us. That's why we couldn't get the extra 2 rooms with a military discount. DUH. All they wanted was for me to fax to them a copy of his military ID and I sent a copy of his driver's License.

Do you work for Carnival? Can you get a military discount? My son still lives at home with me. He is just 18 years old, but he is my son in the active military. I was told, by Carnival, the only ones who could get this discount is Mother, Father, Husband, Wife, sister or brother of the military family member.

I made sure from the very beginning they new that my son was not going so when the day comes to leave for my cruise I wouldn't get a big bill. Please make sure you know what you are talking about. Have a nice cruise!!!!

I spoke with my TA this morning. As we began talking about a military discount, she made sure I understood the rules. (I told her that we happen to have 3 people going with military IDs - so this is not a problem for us)

If you booked directly with Carnival and were told that your son did not have to be onboard, I would be sure that I had that person's name and/or some written documentation. If you used a TA, I would insist that they provide written confirmation of this from Carnival.

I have heard of people receiving discounts for being listed as seniors or due to where they live - and then getting a rude shock when they arrive at embarkation and can't verify the discount status. I'd hate to see this happen to you.

Good luck!! I hope this all works out for you!!!

I also thought the "rules" were that in order to get the military discount the member of the military had to be traveling... I know there was a thread here a while back where the military member had to cancel and the others in the cabin had to cancel and rebook at regular rates... I agree, get this in writing from whoever is telling you this... Now, could this be a different kind of rate? Maybe a "friends and family" type rate?

SEA U ONBOARD

FYI, I have spoken to Carnival several times when I made my reservations. They know my son is not going with us. That's why we couldn't get the extra 2 rooms with a military discount. DUH. All they wanted was for me to fax to them a copy of his military ID and I sent a copy of his driver's License.

Do you work for Carnival? Can you get a military discount? My son still lives at home with me. He is just 18 years old, but he is my son in the active military. I was told, by Carnival, the only ones who could get this discount is Mother, Father, Husband, Wife, sister or brother of the military family member.

I made sure from the very beginning they new that my son was not going so when the day comes to leave for my cruise I wouldn't get a big bill. Please make sure you know what you are talking about. Have a nice cruise!!!!

I do want to correct something I stated earlier - as a dependent of a military person (meaning I also carry a military ID card) I can travel without him being there - BUT - the person holding the ID card HAS TO BE traveling in order to get the discount. They can extended the discount to other immediate family members when the military person is traveling. As no I don't work for Carnival but have gotten a military discount everytime I have cruised with them.

The purpose of Carnivals "Family program" or whatever they have named it now - is for military people to get a chance to spend some quailty time with their families - not for the family to travel without them. I know my facts.

Since you are new to the boards here I suggest you read some more - you might be shocked at how many time TA's have mislead clients - or clients have mislead TA's in order to get someone to book - or think they can get one over on someone. Just because you MADE SURE they knew your son wasn't coming means nothing if you have nothing in writing. Maybe they are just leading you into beleiving they are giving you this great military rate. On your confirmation it should say Military rate/discount or something to that affect - at least mine always does - but I don't use Carnival directly.

If you have paid final payment then you have a better chance of not getting picked up on the radar - if you haven't then I wish you luck.

Sea u onboard,

First of all, I wasn't going to waste any more of my time explaining anything to you. 1st - I am not as new to these boards as you are. check your dates. 2nd - I thought these boards were to have nice conversations with other cruisers, like answering ?'s they ask and being able to share Information for past experiences on cruise's, packing, staterooms, food, entertainment, ports, DISCOUNTS, ect..... or anything. whether the Info may not always be true for everyone, I only tell my experience and not lie to anyone. Sometimes TA's tell you 1 thing and Carnival may tell something else. I only told what was told to me by several different Carnival employees about how the military discount works. So if it was a lie, then at least 10 carnival employees lied to me and all told the same lie. When i get back from my cruise in April, or when I receive my Docs after my final payment is made, I will be glad to let you know if I got that military discount or not. I look on these boards to read what other cruisers have to say about their cruise. Sometimes I get Information that helps me make my plans. I don't get on here to argue with anyone. YOU have a nice day.

Thank you

First of all let me start out by saying that I apologize if you thought I was arguing with you – my intent was to INFORM – not to argue. I just didn’t want you to have a nasty surprise.

Second – I did realize earlier today that I was INCORRECT (wow imagine me admitting that something I posted was incorrect). I tried to post a response earlier today but I’ve been having problems with the CC board – or I might have gotten my apology posted before your response.

Let me add that Carnivals policy on Military has changed since 911 and I FORGOT about it – after all I don’t have to worry about getting the discount as my husband is retired Navy. Now family members can receive a discount without the military person traveling with them. It hasn’t always been that way.

I have been sick for the last 4 days and I’m not trying to use it as an excuse – BUT – I don’t think clearly with a head cold.

As far as dates – I have actually been a member since March 2002 – but due to a “name change” I wasn’t able to carry over my original information.

It is never my intent to argue with anyone on these boards. I think of myself as a “HELPFUL PERSON” believe it or not. I’m sure there are lots of people who can support me on that.

Again I do apologize if you thought I was arguing with you. I hope you enjoy your cruise – which is all I ever wanted for you in the first place.

I am the original poster of this thread. I am concerned with your reaction to the advice given by sea u onboard. I truly believe that she and I were simply concerned about the possibility that you could receive a rude surprise at the dock. Many posters have reported this type of problem in the past.

While sea u onboard has offered you an apology and feels that she made an error in her response - I received the rules of the military discount only 3 days ago. They are as we stated. Unfortunately I decided against the switch to Carnival and no longer have the email that was sent by the cruise agency. I would have liked to have pasted it into this reply so you could follow up with your TA.

I think when you have a less emotional moment to reflect, you will realize that sea u onboard was truly attempting to be helpful and we both hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.

As I have stated before, I booked through Carnival Cruise Lines. I got all of my Information through them. I even called back again to verify my prices and also using my son's military Id. Making sure again they knew he was not traveling with us. They knew this Info and assured me I am getting this discount. I'm sorry I was trying to be helpful and share this with you so maybe you could get the same deal.

Archived