Newspapers(lack of)

Tfish

No, no newspapers....how would they get a paper when out to sea? I believe that some shi[s print out an abbreviated news notice and you can get one at the internet cafe. The ships do have international CNN. We were gone during the elections and I used the internet cafe to access my computer and read the news that way. You can buy USA Today in some ports.

I haven't seen any true newspapers, but there is a 'news-leaflet' (single sheet of paper, usually both sides) available at the Purser's Desk each morning. There's a US edition and a British edition, each of which contain just a bit of the national headline stories. There is also a device in some of the internet cafes that has current news continuously scrolling overhead. I believe there is also some international CNN coverage on the cabin televisions, but I can't be sure -- and that may only be in port.

We did get International CNN on our cabin TV on the Coral Panama Canal Cruise. Once in a while there is no satellite connection, so CNN is off the air. Except for those few times, we did have live news coverage. Also, closer to Florida we received MSNBC.

I haven't seen any true newspapers, but there is a 'news-leaflet' (single sheet of paper, usually both sides) available at the Purser's Desk each morning. There's a US edition and a British edition, each of which contain just a bit of the national headline stories.
Haven't see this in the past year on the Dawn, Star, or Grand Princess.

On the Grand Princes - 12/18-28 there was a form where you, for a price, could get certain newpapers. We were not interested so can't tell you the details.

Diamond Princess took away the option of ordering newspapers within the last month or so. We asked the purser and he told us the option was discontinued. There weren't any daily newspaper faxes either. Hubby went into NY Times, or any newspaper withdrawl, when we did the Mexican Riviera 12/11-18.

Print out of the major headline stories available in the library on the Island last year..three or 4 interanational papers, Times NY/London, Barrons. Gave you the basics. Some international papers available in Ports..folks were passing the some papers around after Gradn Cayman. :rolleyes:

Even IF the ships wanted to get newspapers to you, their are almost impossible logistics issues. By the way, on recent visits to Nassau and Jamaica, you could get USA Today (usually yesterday) for $3-4.

Log on to NY Times, CNN or USA Today for up to date news.

On Sapphire in November, there were not the usual ship's newspapers available from the purser. If one wanted printed news, of course one could sign up for various papers for a mere $3.95 a day. Each. I wasn't that desperate for the previous day's news. I really enjoyed the paper we used to get for free - especially in the "old" days when it had a crossword puzzle there. Nancy

No, no newspapers....how would they get a paper when out to sea?

Newspaper Direct.

It's an electronic service where you can order up your own copy of your favorite newspaper and it prints one right up for you. You see some of their kiosks in hotel lobbies. Newspaper Direct maintains contracts with major daily newspapers, who then send them electronic feeds of their edition each day. The kiosk has the capability to print out the customer's order right there ... though I assume it's on 8-1/2 by 11" paper.

I've never bought a newspaper from them, but the paper I work for has a contract with Newspaper Direct. I'm the one who gets the phone calls at 5:00 a.m. when they don't receive a clean feed for our editions. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've always had a paper delivered to my cabin. I just go to the Purser and request it. In Feb-Apr. 2004 on my 30 day cruise on the Star from Bangkok to Venice I requested the American and British Paper. They were about 6-8 pages long each. They also had an Australian paper. They were delivered every day. Mainly headlines, business/investments and sports. They don't advertise it you need to ask.

"how would they get a paper when out to sea? " Now, I can't get the image of some poor paperboy in a row-boat,, out of my mind. Some questions should never be asked:rolleyes:

Now that's funny! Of course all should realize I was being a bit facetious. It is one of the "jokes" the CD's tell when relating questions asked by cruise passengers along with "Does the crew sleep on board ship, etc., etc."

I noticed there wasn't a newsletter (those NYC 4 pagers) around on the Sapphire last August. Hubby did watch CNN a lot (when in room). And we watched some of the British Olympics coverage. We actually got into this one rowing competition between Canada and England. ;) I miss not knowing what's going on -- it's my jschool education.

On our Sapphire Cruise, there was a number of newspapers you could choose. They baiscally printed out a 'full' version of the newspaper and delivered it to your stateroom. The Sydney Morning Herald would have been about 100 or so pages, reduced in size. They must have some internet facility to download them. I think there was only 1 day when this was not available due to satelite coverage.

Archived