Hotel/Airport Advice -- leaving from San Pedro

Gaijin_Mom

We'll be cruising next April on RCCL out of San Pedro. We have three couples going. Two couples will be driving from Phoenix and one couple will be flying in. Do you feel it's better to fly in to Long Beach or LAX? Prices are fairly comparable -- only about $20 per person difference. Which is better to have to pick someone up from? Also, what are your recommendations on accomodations? We don't want super economy, but can't go too pricey either. Is it best to stay closer to the airports or pier? We'll be arriving the day before we cruise. Thanks for any advice!!!

If the couples are driving in from Phoenix, then on their perspective it's not going to make a huge difference which airport to pick up from.

Both will be fairly easy.

I'd choose depending on which flights OUT on the last day have the most options.

I'd never book a flight from LAX before 1 PM or from LGB before Noon, just to be sure in case of any debarkation problems

Weather/Fog, Custom Delays, Crew Custom Days, etc.

If Price is an issue, then just book Priceline for 3.5 stars in San Pedro.

You can only get Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

Both are good.

Don't want to overly complicate things for you, but if you are considering LAX and LGB, you might also check flights in and out of SNA -- John Wayne airport in Orange County. We are using SNA in the week before you (we are on Mariner 4/4 to 4/11) and found better fares than LAX and more choices than LGB. Maybe there is something there that would work for you as well. Good luck.

David

As for hotels, you may want to consider staying in San Pedro or Long Beach. check out the various hotel threads to find the ones the locals recommend. Since your friends have a car, you won't have to worry about getting a shuttle over, unless you want a park and ride hotel. There's plenty of parking at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro ($12/day).

Another idea would be to stay in Santa Monica. An interesting place, and you can have dinner at one of the restaurants at the Third Street Promenade, which is an outdoor mall. It'll probably be too cold to stick your toes in the ocean there, though, in April.

I just read that someone got Westin on Priceline. I would prefer Crown Plaza or Double tree so I am afraid to bid.

If you're talking about the sticky, they said they got the Westin Long Beach. Crown Plaza and Double Tree are both San Pedro hotels, so only bid on the San Pedro zone and you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I just found flights on Southwest to be about $80 cheaper per person flying in/out of Orange County versus LAX.

For our cruise earlier this year, we used Super Shuttle (pre-booked) from the airport to the hotel, and then from the port to the airport. Does Super Shuttle - or something similar also do transports from Orange County?

Is it further away than LAX? (Trying to decide what time to book coming home).

Thanks,

Ann

whether coming from LAX or Long Beach..there ll be plenty of transportation option s at the airport without having to book ahead..

as mentioned..Priceline, in San Pedro..you ll get CP or DTree..both good hotels at a economy price..

Archived