no more captains cocktail party on fantasy?!?!?!?!

Rowan555

I also did not care for Risa. The 8/31 cruise was her last before a 2 month vacation. She said that she would be back on the Fantasy out of Mobile in November.

Also, I had my alcohol in my carry-on. It was very creatively concealed as I have been doing for the last several cruises. By the way, this is the first time in 13 cruises that I was "caught". And I was not the one with several cases of beer and several fifths. The security person just got lucky (lucky for him, unlucky for me).

I cruise next month and am going to rethink my strategy.

The mistake you made is putting in your carry on. Better off packing it well and putting it in checked luggage.

I was on the Sensation in August for a 4 day and at the early Captains reception there was NO one there. There were 20 waiters with trays of drinks and less than 50-100 people there by the time it was over. The waiters lined the walls waiting for people to show up. And this was a sold out cruise. (I know because it disappeared from available bookings about 2 weeks before we sailed and my PVP mentioned that there weren't any cabins available a week before but the one sailing the next day did)

In January on a four day Fantasy (out of New Orleans) the early was packed - people were waiting to even enter before the doors opened upstairs and downstairs. Could be that it was just after New Years - I wonder too if some ports/ships go through more alcohol than others. Fewer waiters and it was hard to get a drink - and this was also back when they served appetizers at the party.

Lsst week on Destiny we had the captains cocktail party in the showroom (Palladium)

with waiters with trays of drinks, no munchies....they introduced captain and officers then had some dance music people went up on stage etc

soo...now..are they doing this intro etc but without the drinks?? and then having free drinks the last night?? do they have discounted drinks at the bars captains night?

I do wonder if they are doing this to maximize the photo taking on "elegant" night?

I will be on Imagination Oct 30 and will be following this thread, first hand reports and updates much welcomed...thanks

While discussing these changes with my dh last night he seems to think it's about more than just a money issue. This led me to revist one of my previous thoughts back when I had sailed on the Swine Flu Splendor cruise this past April. We were on the cruise that went to San Fransico because the CDC announced no uncessary travel etc. The Swine Flu was the top news story with many out breaks in Mexico. We didn't meet the captain at our captain's party and he was introduced at the production shows later that evening. I can't help but wonder with the swiftness of this new change if it has anything at all to do with not wanting to expose the ships senior officers to the potential sick passengers? It will be interesting to see if the captain is at the meet and greet at all. If he's not out there shaking hands with everyone etc it may very well be the case. Beyond that playing a part in it all I do think it's about saving money.

It surely won't have me jumping to look for another cruiseline as I am more than happy with all that Carnival has offered me in the previous cruises. Dh says that he'd rather they increased the cruise price by $20pp and kept the free drinks. For him it was more than a free couple of drinks as that's all he usually drinks. He liked the way it set the tone for the cruise ahead. We shall see how festive this new meet and greet is :) Who knows if we give it half a chance ;)

I just got back from New Orleans last night after sailing the Fantasy and we had both the Captain's cocktail party and the repeat guest party. The drinks were free but after having 5 whiskey sours I didn't feel even the slightest buzz and I'm not a heavy drinker.

While I empathize with the folks that are 'less than thrilled' with the new reception set-up on CCL ships, we couldn't care less in our family. Been on five cruises so far and never had a bit of interest in going to the Welcome or the Repeat events.

I'd much rather find a quiet spot to sit with my iPod, some reading material, a cool drink and just watch the water go by. :cool:

We just happened to be talking to guest relations so we asked them about this. She did say it would be fleetwide tomorrow because THEY ARE GETTING SUCH GREAT FEEDBACK FROM THE GUESTS ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY LOVE THE NEW FORMAT! I just find this so hard to believe. On all our cruises we have enjoyed the captain's cocktail party as it was a nice prelude to formal night dinner. It made for a nice beginning to the evening and while we did not suck down the the free drinks I did try a few things I probably would never have paid for. I am still wondering about the logistics of taking orders from everyone and getting the drinks back to them in the time alloted for the cocktail party. It is quick when all the drinks are on a tray and even then sometimes it is hard to get a server to come down your row of seats in the theater. I just can't imagine if they have to take the time to take orders, get the S&S, retrieve drinks, sign receipt for just about the entire ship in a 45 minute period. I guess they are fiquring that not many people will attend the party anymore so they don't have to worry about it. We have over 30 cruises with Carnival and while this won't change our cruising it is a sad change from the tradition we are used to. Cindy

Just got back form the 9/7/09 sailing of the Inspiration. I used to love these parties and this was my 7th cruise. They no longer do the 4.95 margarita and martini special nights either. They will list them as the special in the caper, but there is no discount off full price. I think carnival is getting ready to see a huge drop in business from past guests.

If you see a server by the name of Laura in the captain's welcome or past guest party or whatever they want to call it (tall Russian sounding blonde long curly hair with a bad attitude) RUN!!!! Go shopping, jump over board, do laundry, or find another activity. She yelled at me during the president's dinner after I reminded she promised to bring my mother-in-law back a glass of white wine ~15 min ago (this was my mother in law's first cruise too!). When I say yelled at me, it was more like screamed like a banshee and all sound stopped from upstairs near the sound board where we were sitting. She later screamed at another guest behind us for asking for a second drink. I complained, but that did not stop her being rude. Then at the past guest party I saw her slap a guest hand as they were asking for a drink. She came to a table of eight in front of us, gave one person a drink that had none, three of the others did have drinks, and left the other four without. So the one lady asked for a drink and Laura slapped her hand hard. I didn't know if the guest was going to hit back, but she just sat there in shock. I ran to guest services. I've never had this happen on any ship. I'm just glad it didn't ruin it for the first time cruisers we had with us since they didn't want to be our guest at the past guest party after what happened at the captain's welcome party. Did the end of cruise survey and listed what a nightmare this chick was.

Just throwing in a little Math for some fun:

At the first of the "Captain's Celebrations" (possibly known in the future as the Coupon Cocktail Party), if you order a bar item with an advertised price of $6.50, you'll be able to acquire that beverage for a mere . . . $6.50 :p

You're basically/mentally removing the normal automatic gratuity from that particular purchase price.

Whats next? Tip increase!

Archived