Why is a 2 night cruise to nowhere

kathyemma

Why is a 2 night cruise to nowhere from either NY or Norfolk more than the 6 night caribbean cruise I am taking over Thanksgiving??

I was toying with the idea of booking the cruise to nowhere as a quick getaway - but now I think I will just book a weekend at a B & B.

kathy

Probably because:

a. Northeast cruises are way too expensive

b. Gamblers will pay this amount for the luxury of a cruise and to not have to drive to Atlantic City to gamble or worry about DUI

c. Carnival knows some suckers will say pay it as a tester cruise to see if they will like a cruise but of course a CTN is a whole different ball game

I love the B & B idea as well!!!!

I asked this question to Carnival one time.

The response I got was, since it is a cruise that is 'very limited' and in 'high demand' the price reflects the demand. (I guess supply/demand)

The woman I spoke with said that many times people who dont know if they will like cruising want to take just a 'day trip' so they created the 2 nighters.

I bet also it has to do with the timing of it. For instance, here out of Galveston, we have 4 nighters that wrap around the weekend, well the 5 nighters (same ship) that go M-S are Cheaper.

Go figure.

Hey I say go on the 6 nighter...2 nights would be like a tease anyway...you know that.

;)

Probably because:

a. Northeast cruises are way too expensive

b. Gamblers will pay this amount for the luxury of a cruise and to not have to drive to Atlantic City to gamble or worry about DUI

c. Carnival knows some suckers will say pay

I love the B & B idea as well!!!!

I will go with C:D Same goes for holiday cruises........

I think the demand is high because people save the money when they bring back as much as they can get off the ship in booze, cigarettes and jewelry. I went on one once people were bringing back multiple cases of booze and cigarettes. With cruise to nowhere no foreign stops no customs, so when you return no custom limitations. It was a buying frenzy.

The one and two night cruises are usually on the weekends. This means that many people don't have to take time off from work so it's easier to fill them up. They get a lot of people that are from the area who just want to get away for the weekend or gamble. People sometimes take a friend or relative as a gift. They are also good for people that have difficulty traveling for any length of time because of medical treatments. We took an aunt on one of these who had to have dialysis treatments because this way she wouldn't miss any of them.

I am going on the two nighter and I certainly dont feel like a sucker

Its amazing deal.. and a great quick get away... we do it every year..

$305 for a balcony for two nights? in Nyc that is cheap

Well hell! The way they were talking......you can't stay in Vegas for 2 nights at a nice hotel for that price..(although I stay for free:D)

Op........you need to do your homework.........

I think you may be confusing cruises to nowhere with reposition cruises?

The cruises to nowhere depart and return at the same port. Making it an attractive option due to all the reason past posters have stated.

The reposition cruises are the ones that you can get the good deals on. Departing out of Vancouver and returning to San Diego. I've done a Miami to San Juan one before. $99. Most people don't want to spend the airfare for two different ports.

I am one of the "suckers" taking the CTN next month out of Norfolk. Besides the fact that I live right here in Norfolk I am going for a quick get away and dont have to use any vacation time. This way it will be a mini vacation just to relax a little and I get to use my real vacation time for my May 2010 cruise.

Granted I was not thrilled with the price for only 2 days but I dont have to fly anywhere, I get to relax & not cook & clean for 2 days, hubby gets his gambling fix without having to drive to Atlantic City.

I do not do the regular cruises (7 days & longer) out of Norfolk, they are way too expensive. The money I would spend on one of these I can get a better itenerary flying down to Florida including airfare.

I am one of the "suckers" taking the CTN next month out of Norfolk. Besides the fact that I live right here in Norfolk I am going for a quick get away and dont have to use any vacation time. This way it will be a mini vacation just to relax a little and I get to use my real vacation time for my May 2010 cruise.

Granted I was not thrilled with the price for only 2 days but I dont have to fly anywhere, I get to relax & not cook & clean for 2 days, hubby gets his gambling fix without having to drive to Atlantic City.

I do not do the regular cruises (7 days & longer) out of Norfolk, they are way too expensive. The money I would spend on one of these I can get a better itenerary flying down to Florida including airfare.

I could not have said it better. We live in Va Beach 12 miles from the port of Norfolk. We go on a CTN for the gambling and just to get away. Last one we did we won $1200 nice little bit of change of our cruise in October.:D

A two-day weekend CTN doesn't require most peopel to take a dya off work, which significantly icnreases the demand.

FOr the same reason, you'll see that the 3 day cruises on Sensation and Imagination are often more expensive than the 4 day cruises on the same ships. The 3-days are over the weekend, and the 4 days are during the week.

I am going on the two nighter and I certainly dont feel like a sucker

Its amazing deal.. and a great quick get away... we do it every year..

$305 for a balcony for two nights? in Nyc that is cheap

You are right Toni, the price you are paying is great and of course it will be closer to $400 or $500 by the time you are done. However, I think that is a great price as well for what you will get!! Of course, you are just paying for yourself this time, right? My situation is that we would be paying for the whole gang, so we can never do it, no way!! Even if it were just DH and myself, we still couldn't drop $1000 on a weekend for just us at this point and the dd's that are still home are too young to stay alone so that means the dd at college would have to come home for the weekend. Just too unrealistic right now. As far as leaving them with DH''s family...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

and as far as all the posters on cc .........Trock and the word sucker just would never go together!!!!!! You are the last person I would think of as a sucker......you I consider quite realistic and knowledgable.:)

See ya,

Lee

Why is a 2 night cruise to nowhere from either NY or Norfolk more than the 6 night caribbean cruise I am taking over Thanksgiving??

I was toying with the idea of booking the cruise to nowhere as a quick getaway - but now I think I will just book a weekend at a B & B.

kathy

It could also be because for the CTN, the cheaper cabins are already sold, and what you are seeing are the more expensive remaining cabins

Unless you leave from south Florida, or from a port near Canada or Mexico, you probably could not get to any place in a 2 day cruise. The law says it has to be a foreign country.

I think you answered based on where you thought the title was going, not what the topic actually was.

You are right Toni, the price you are paying is great and of course it will be closer to $400 or $500 by the time you are done. However, I think that is a great price as well for what you will get!! Of course, you are just paying for yourself this time, right? My situation is that we would be paying for the whole gang, so we can never do it, no way!! Even if it were just DH and myself, we still couldn't drop $1000 on a weekend for just us at this point and the dd's that are still home are too young to stay alone so that means the dd at college would have to come home for the weekend. Just too unrealistic right now. As far as leaving them with DH''s family..

and as far as all the posters on cc .........Trock and the word sucker just would never go together!!!!!! You are the last person I would think of as a sucker......you I consider quite realistic and knowledgable.

See ya,

Lee

Thanks Lee!

Some insides were as low as $99.. .it all really comes down to 'what it's worth to the person paying'... I think it's a personal choice.. for me its a 45 minute train ride.. it's a no brainer.. is it worth a long drive or a plane tix? I dont think so.. :)

I can't imagine duty free would be open on a CTN. That would be highly illegal.

Its unlimited duty free since there are no ports involved.. unlimited cartons cigarettes and alcohol.. I have seen people literally with handtrucks of cartons of alcohol getting off... (or luggage racks).. No limit

:)

Thanks Lee!

Some insides were as low as $99.. .it all really comes down to 'what it's worth to the person paying'... I think it's a personal choice.. for me its a 45 minute train ride.. it's a no brainer.. is it worth a long drive or a plane tix? I dont think so.. :)

Its unlimited duty free since there are no ports involved.. unlimited cartons cigarettes and alcohol.. I have seen people literally with handtrucks of cartons of alcohol getting off... (or luggage racks).. No limit

:)

For $99 , DH and I might actually consider leaving the DD's with his family!:eek: On second thought.....we love our girls.:D

Toni,

on a thread a few days ago our friend admitted to being a TA for 32 years. I knew it! Of course I knew it because she had posted it many times and then claimed she was never in the business! Just goes to show what people will say when anonymous!!:D Not you or I of course!:)

Archived