Readers of Cruise Confidential...

southbayer

Just finished reading the book...

Having a question to pose to you just to see what you think -

Do you feel comofortable knowing what you now know of the slave labor of these poor immigrants ... The 15 -18 hrs a day they work 7 days a week, and that thier only getting 4 hours of sleep per night ?

I dunno, kind of makes you think .... Sure they're getting paid, but at what physical toll ?

What do you think ??

Do you feel comofortable knowing what you now know of the slave labor of these poor immigrants ... The 15 -18 hrs a day they work 7 days a week, and that thier only getting 4 hours of sleep per night ?

I dunno, kind of makes you think .... Sure they're getting paid, but at what physical toll ?

What do you think ??

They compete for these jobs... they stand in line for them.

Yes, I sometimes think that it is weird that the serving staff not only have to be experts at serving, but also have to sing and dance for us... but reality is that this sells, and if that is what it takes to keep the ships full, and the money pouring in...

When they are done on the ships, they go back home and really rake it in at the four and five star hotels ... or write a book.

What do you think ??

Try a novel next time.

I think a lot of them feel pretty lucky considering what many of them may face (for employement/wage) in their home country which is pretty much usually borderline third world..

Let me ask you this.. How do you feel about NYC police officers starting out at $25-30,000 per year.. working 10 or more hours per day, on call and risking their lives in crummy neighborhoods?

Or better yet the military ... 24 hours day...

Its all a matter of choice...

By US standards it seems really harsh. But in their home countries they are considered to be very wealthy and have the homes to prove it. Their families enjoy a life style that others only can dream about. Yes, it takes its toll on family life since the fathers miss so much of their children's lives while they are working. But on the other hand, they are not spending 12 months on a ship and they are able to provide a better standard of living for their families.

At home, they would never make anywhere near what they can working on a ship even if it were possible to work 24 hrs., 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

This is why NCL's US flagged ships in Hawaii had such a difficult start with only US citizens as staff. US workers will not work under the same terms and conditions as non US staff nor for the same pay scale. They expected to same wages any US worker is entitled to with the same benefits.

MARAPRINCE

I think a lot of them feel pretty lucky considering what many of them may face (for employement/wage) in their home country which is pretty much usually borderline third world..

Let me ask you this.. How do you feel about NYC police officers starting out at $25-30,000 per year.. working 10 or more hours per day, on call and risking their lives in crummy neighborhoods?

Well Put....

These crew members have a "choice" in working with a cruiseline. They know what is expected of them. If the so called "slave labor" the crew members are subject to is an issue with you based on your ethics and morales, don't cruise !

When they are done on the ships, they go back home and really rake it in at the four and five star hotels ... or write a book.

LOL! Exactly;)

Many of us also get no sleep while we are trying to get our own business off the ground;)

Try a novel next time.

Great idea I must say.........

I can totally relate to that, DH is a cop in Atlanta (makes just about nothing) and our oldest son a Marine (again next to nothing). But they are both doing what they love and enjoy;)

I can totally relate to that, DH is a cop in Atlanta (makes just about nothing) and our oldest son a Marine (again next to nothing). But they are both doing what they love and enjoy;)

Yes.. and my sympathies for what they see and deal with on a daily basis is much stronger than that of the worker on a cruise ship!

Thank you for your families service:)

But... I work a full time job, and 4 nites a week I bartend until 12 midnight .. 15-16 hour days

AND we own a small business catering.. those are long days.

AND we are raising a family

So... these employees CHOSE to work these jobs.. they wait in line for them and frankly the majority are young and physically able to work those hours. I don't believe for 1 second that anyone is being abused or taken advantage of and while I respect them for their hard work I don't pitty them or feel badly because I am a receipient of their services.

Sorry if this offends anyone but it's how I feel.

I have not read this book but read all the reviews of it on Amazon.

Let us not forget, it was not written by one of these "impoverished immigrants", but by a spoiled whiny American who took the job as a lark, simply to stay near his girlfriend. :rolleyes:

They choose to take the job and work long hours so why feel sorry for them? A first timer might not know what they are getting into but after the first contract they know.

They are doing it for the money and respect them for working hard but feel sorry? Not at all.

In the reviews he sounds like a pompous egomaniac. I might give it a read if I can borrow it from my library, but am not about to spend $ on it. :p

Not at all.. he has a sarcastic wit, told a lot stories with great humor and worked his ass off...

I could never have put up with the crap he did-

Not at all.. he has a sarcastic wit, told a lot stories with great humor and worked his ass off...

I could never have put up with the crap he did-

One person's sarcastic wit is another's sarcastic twit. ;)

I was a nurse; don't get me started about crap on the job. :eek:

One person's sarcastic wit is another's sarcastic twit. ;)

I was a nurse; don't get me started about crap on the job. :eek:

No arguement on the job scenario

-Without reading the book I dont see how you can make any judgement..

Some people like him, some dont.. whiny.. I didnt find him..

In any event if you get a chance to read it, its good reading..

Let's not forget, they are going to numerous ports that we can only dream about! They do get time off to enjoy time ashore, good food and board, while getting paid. They save on clothing since they are wearing uniforms, not isolated from others, have access to the latest movies, exposed to other cultures and languages, learn new skills, have minial expenses so they are able to send a good portion of their salary home, etc. There are some benefits to the job.

No job in existence doesn't have a down side. If they were treated so badly, why do they keep signing new contracts? The money is better than anything else they can do back home. If they were to become US citizens, they would be working for minimum wage without any of the perks they can get on board a ship and have to pay the high rents and other costs (utilities, etc.) that we all do and would not be able to travel on a cruise ship!

MARAPRINCE

I have not read this book but read all the reviews of it on Amazon.

Let us not forget, it was not written by one of these "impoverished immigrants", but by a spoiled whiny American who took the job as a lark, simply to stay near his girlfriend. :rolleyes:

Actually, I did not find him whiny at all. In fact I thought he didn't complain much at all, no matter how hard they worked him. Maybe if you read the book you would see that too. :)

People take jobs for many crazy reasons so I wouldn't condemn someone for following their heart. I teach special ed for next to nothing and people call me crazy too. I love what I do though, and if I can make a difference in one child's life, then I don't mind being crazy. :)

Hard work rarely hurts anyone...me included...have worked hard all my life to have the nice things and vacations that I enjoy...it is a matter of choice.

One thing that fascinates me or makes me shake my head is how the author could consume so much alcohol and still work....

But... I work a full time job, and 4 nites a week I bartend until 12 midnight .. 15-16 hour days

AND we own a small business catering.. those are long days.

AND we are raising a family

So... these employees CHOSE to work these jobs.. they wait in line for them and frankly the majority are young and physically able to work those hours. I don't believe for 1 second that anyone is being abused or taken advantage of and while I respect them for their hard work I don't pitty them or feel badly because I am a receipient of their services.

Sorry if this offends anyone but it's how I feel.

I completely concur. These jobs are highly sought after and complaints are few indeed. For the most part, I don't think any cruise line takes advantage of anyone.

That said, working equivalent hours in the States is not comparable. You can go home and/or eat what you want after a long, hard day and will likely not being awakened for the 100th boat drill of the month. You are probably not cut off and thousands of miles away from your family and friends. I recall waiting many hours in line to get internet access to simply say Hi to my loved ones, or even longer to get some phone time. As a failed (repeatedly, but I keep trying!) I am used to such hours here on land, too, but ships are a whole 'nuther can of beans.

Cruise, I say, and enjoy it! They work hard for you to have fun, and they are appropriately rewarded for their efforts. Just practice good manners. : )

Hard work rarely hurts anyone...me included...have worked hard all my life to have the nice things and vacations that I enjoy...it is a matter of choice.

One thing that fascinates me or makes me shake my head is how the author could consume so much alcohol and still work....

And to think that I was considered a lightweight on board!

Archived