Readers of Cruise Confidential...

southbayer

And to think that I was considered a lightweight on board!

Thoroughly enjoyed your book...am reading it again for the second time...just in time for my next cruise on 9/21/09. Lightweight? Don't think I could keep up with the crew....I would be passed out on the floor!

Thoroughly enjoyed your book...am reading it again for the second time...just in time for my next cruise on 9/21/09. Lightweight? Don't think I could keep up with the crew....I would be passed out on the floor!

It was definitely worth a second read.. It was very entertaining...

:)

I completely concur. These jobs are highly sought after and complaints are few indeed. For the most part, I don't think any cruise line takes advantage of anyone.

That said, working equivalent hours in the States is not comparable. You can go home and/or eat what you want after a long, hard day and will likely not being awakened for the 100th boat drill of the month. You are probably not cut off and thousands of miles away from your family and friends. I recall waiting many hours in line to get internet access to simply say Hi to my loved ones, or even longer to get some phone time. As a failed (repeatedly, but I keep trying!) I am used to such hours here on land, too, but ships are a whole 'nuther can of beans.

Cruise, I say, and enjoy it! They work hard for you to have fun, and they are appropriately rewarded for their efforts. Just practice good manners. : )

Thanks for writing the book, we enjoyed it very much and have passed it on to family members to read. We have also met Danny boy the Maitre'd on a recent cruise so it was even more interesting to read the book as we knew him and are still in touch with him.

Just finished reading the book...

Having a question to pose to you just to see what you think -

Do you feel comofortable knowing what you now know of the slave labor of these poor immigrants ... The 15 -18 hrs a day they work 7 days a week, and that thier only getting 4 hours of sleep per night ?

I dunno, kind of makes you think .... Sure they're getting paid, but at what physical toll ?

What do you think ??

Nope, not at all. No one forced them to take these jobs. If they were so bad, WHY do they resign contracts over and over.

I did say my opinion was based on the 40+ reviews I read of the book, not on having read it.

That's how I decided not to waste my money.

You should read it for yourself , then maybe you could form a valid opinion.

If 40 people had a negative veiw of a certain cruise ,would you not consider that cruise? What about the 1000's that didn't submit a reveiw?

I completely concur. These jobs are highly sought after and complaints are few indeed. For the most part, I don't think any cruise line takes advantage of anyone.

That said, working equivalent hours in the States is not comparable. You can go home and/or eat what you want after a long, hard day and will likely not being awakened for the 100th boat drill of the month. You are probably not cut off and thousands of miles away from your family and friends. I recall waiting many hours in line to get internet access to simply say Hi to my loved ones, or even longer to get some phone time. As a failed (repeatedly, but I keep trying!) I am used to such hours here on land, too, but ships are a whole 'nuther can of beans.

Cruise, I say, and enjoy it! They work hard for you to have fun, and they are appropriately rewarded for their efforts. Just practice good manners. : )

OMG...I didn't realize the author was actually on this board. Thanks for writing the inside scoop and jumping in here.

I'm reading the book right now. I'd be finished by now, but every time I laugh out loud, I have to read that section to my husband. (Yes, he is literate, but it's just a way of sharing).

I do think the inside picture colors my perception of cruising (and the crew) to some extent.

Hi Brian thank you for the insight into the life of a cruise employee :) I believe I've read in one of your replies that you are currently working on another book?

I'm thinking, if you lived on a cruise ship and could not use any of the amenities the guests have, it must get really boring when they are not working.

I imagine they prefer the 7 day a week work schedule over having excess down time doing nothing. I bet they really like the port time but after several visits there's probably not much left that is new to see and does not cost much. Still I'm sure they like the time ashore to call family and chill out for a while.

But on the ship, I bet they would rather be working.

I read the book, enjoyed it, not sure I needed to know so much about the crew but it did have "confidential" in the title! My main concern is I am cruising soon on the Riviera deck and I will most likely have trouble sleeping because I will be trying to hard to listen for any "crew" sounds down below!!!:D

Do you feel comofortable knowing what you now know of the slave labor of these poor immigrants ... The 15 -18 hrs a day they work 7 days a week, and that thier only getting 4 hours of sleep per night ?

I dunno, kind of makes you think .... Sure they're getting paid, but at what physical toll ?

What do you think ??

I think their job is their business and none of your business or mine.

No arguement on the job scenario

-Without reading the book I dont see how you can make any judgement..

Some people like him, some dont.. whiny.. I didnt find him..

In any event if you get a chance to read it, its good reading..

This falls under the category . . . . .different strokes, etc.

In the reviews he sounds like a pompous egomaniac.

I read the book and sort of agree with the above. Even if I toned it down I would describe him as a self serving egomaniac.

This falls under the category . . . . .different strokes, etc.

I read the book and sort of agree with the above. Even if I toned it down I would describe him as a self serving egomaniac.

Absolutely different strokes.. totally agree.. But then again, you read the book ;):p

What do you think ??

SouthBayer,

Yes, I feel comfortable after reading the book. From speaking with our wait staff and stewards on previous cruises I was aware of the long hours and limited time off they had. They were all also very emphatic about how they preferred working on the ship to what work was available in their home countries.

Brian did a great job conveying his feelings and emotions as an American working in a job very few Americans could tolerate. I envy his experiences both good and harsh because those experiences have enriched him with a better understanding of the human race than most of us will ever have an opportunity or inclination to learn.

Throughout most of the last quarter of the book, Brian had a goal ahead of him that was more realistic than his initial goal of spending time with Bianca. At the end he achieved both of his goals and followed the path that suited him best. Basically Brian lived an American Dream while living a year of hell and excitement.

Do citizens of other countries have the same opportunities that Brian had? Yes, but they will not achieve them if they fail to aim to achieve them. They may not have the previous experiences that enabled Brian to see himself in those postions, but if they can imagine it, they can achieve it.

Every other week I work those same hours and make do on three hours of sleep each night. Granted I get paid quite a bit more, but the hours are not as unreasonable or forsaken as some might think. I would venture to state that to those people, the money they make is as impressive to them as mine is to me and well worth every bit of time and effort it takes to earn it.

Another subject from the same book is art auctions. I wish there had been more details about those because I haven't attended a single art auction yet. I always stop by the displays and take pictures of the works that I like; I have some awesome backgrounds for my computer! I just can't imagine who takes cruises to buy art? And do enough people make purchases to make it financially beneficial for them to spend so much time and effort to promote them? I thought the first one was a fluke, but they have them every time on every ship.

... it was not written by one of these "impoverished immigrants", but by a spoiled whiny American who took the job as a lark, simply to stay near his girlfriend. :rolleyes:

I completely concur. )

Love it when that happens. ;)

Maybe you can send her a signed copy ;)

Hope things are still going well for you.

I'm thinking, if you lived on a cruise ship and could not use any of the amenities the guests have, it must get really boring when they are not working.

I imagine they prefer the 7 day a week work schedule over having excess down time doing nothing. I bet they really like the port time but after several visits there's probably not much left that is new to see and does not cost much. Still I'm sure they like the time ashore to call family and chill out for a while.

But on the ship, I bet they would rather be working.

You are 100% right.

Absolutely different strokes.. totally agree.. But then again, you read the book ;):p

Yep. And, I plan on reading it again. I have it on Kindle and haven't relegated it to the "already read" file.

Going to read it on our upcoming transatlantic. Course I may have to keep my mind from wandering . . . . . "could that be?, huh? lol :D

I think a lot of them feel pretty lucky considering what many of them may face (for employement/wage) in their home country which is pretty much usually borderline third world..

Let me ask you this.. How do you feel about NYC police officers starting out at $25-30,000 per year.. working 10 or more hours per day, on call and risking their lives in crummy neighborhoods?

Or better yet the military ... 24 hours day...

Its all a matter of choice...

Excellent point Toni!!!!

Another point is you cannot call it slave labor unless your going out and catching these people, putting them in chains and forcing them to work, isn't that slavery? These people COMPETE for these jobs.

I talked with our room steward on the Constellation with X and she has been doing this for years, yes she's sad to leave her children with hubby and parents to work 6 months at a time, however the money she makes in that time keeps her family in food and shelter for a year, she enjoys her 8 weeks off or whatever it is and then all else she makes is gravy for her family. She is supporting her kids, husband, parents and who knows what other extended family.

These jobs are a Godsend to some of these people, obviously the OP hasn't seen the kids trying to sell beads for 1.00 in ports, or the filthy living conditions of some of the places we visit?

I absolutely feel we are bringing much needed commerce to these countries we visit and the people that are employed on the ships.

I like to spread a few american dollars around to some of these kids in ports and my granddaughter loves them as gifts, win win IMO.

Cheers, Carole

Archived