Wetsuit required?

rednose83

Required, no...strictly dependent on your cold tolerances. I am very warm, so have worn just a dive skin in St. Thomas with no problems in January, a 1mm with my skin in Utila in March (when others in my group were sporting a 6.5mm!!! :eek:), just a skin in Bonaire in September (water temps were 84°F though)...but I will probably wear my 1mm in Cozumel this coming January, as the dive op I am working through recommended some light exposure protection for January, since the water temps will be about 75-77°F.

I go with the skin for exposure protection. Glad I had it one dive, as my buddy was in a shorty and was stung all along her chest and arms by some juvenile jellies we came up through.

Hello,

Yes and no. No, you may certainly expose as much skin as you care to get cut, scraped, and stung on. Yes, if you are sure you don't want to be cut, scraped, or stung. That being said... my skin temp is 98 degrees. The water temperature is colder. Water strips heat 25 times faster from your body, than exposure to cold air. Once you get cold, your body increases your breathing rate to generate heat. Most of the tanks people dive with are 80 cubic feet... The faster you breathe the less bottom time you will get before having to surface. The case is pretty clear that if you wear a wetsuit your air consumption rate is better (less) even in so called "warm water."

All things considered, being scratch/scuff resistant, relaxed/comfortable, and getting more bottom time... suit up.

Most of all have fun, be safe, and come back here and post your feedback on the dives, and more importantly the dive operators.

C

P.S. When I was in Coz in october of last year the water was comfy, clear, and I was the last one back in the boat... always.

Is it required that you wear a wetsuit on dives in the carib? Cozumel to be more specific.

No, it isn't required. Then again, gloves and dive knives are not permitted in the Marine park.

Personally, I do require a wetsuit to dive anywhere, unless the water temp is under 70, then I'd require a drysuit.

Archived